Two more class-action lawsuits filed against Sony

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by fgghjjkll, May 11, 2010.

1. fgghjjkll
    OP

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    [​IMG]

Sony has already gotten sued over the removal of the PS3's Other OS feature, but it seems that it wasn't enough - a few more gamers have taken it upon themselves to file their respective class-action suits against the company, citing similar reasons that enraged so many users when the controversial firmware update came along.

One of the lawsuits, filed May 5th, was by Todd Densmore of Cumming, Ga., and Antal Herz of San Francisco. They claim that several of the features that they paid for were rendered useless by the firmware update. According to the suit, Sony was unable to aptly inform users that it reserved the right to remove advertised features from the system. Furthermore, the two also claim that the right to remove the Other function was not disclosed in Sony's Terms of Service or System Software License Agreement. You can see the PDF for yourself.

The other suit was filed on April 30th by five individuals across the United States. Like many of the Other OS legal arguments, they "lost money by purchasing a PS3 without receiving the benefit of their bargain because the product is not what it was claimed to be - a game console that would provide both the Other OS feature and gaming functions." There's a PDF link for that too.

That rings up the class-action suits to three - no update yet on how the first one is going, but with two more to add to Sony's plate, this saga is far from over.

Source

2. Mikehoncho16

Member Mikehoncho16 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lol, Cumming GA, [​IMG]

Seriously though, I really hate the fact that Other OS was removed, but lawsuits? Some time you gotta learn to just drop it, I mean come on, I loved Other OS, but they had to remove it. Although, since they
    didn't post it on the Terms of Agreement, I guess I see SOME reason to sue.

3. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I love this kind of stuff! [​IMG]

+1 to gamers!

4. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    What's next? Someone is gonna sue Sony for the removal of PS2 backward playability from the PS3? Hmm... Actually that would work lol.

5. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It's ultimately because if they were informed that Sony could remove the Other OS feature at any time, they might not have sunk their money into it. In America you get what you pay for, and they didn't know what they paid for. It's entirely different than the lady who sued McDonald's because she burned herself, because the Terms of Agreement is a legally binding contract for both sides.

6. fgghjjkll
    OP

Australia
    Keep the lawsuits coming guys! Other OS was one of the main selling points if one did not want a x86/x64 architecture Personal Computer.

7. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    They "had to"? Why's that, exactly?

8. fgghjjkll
    OP

Australia
    To stop hackers hacking the console...for their own benefit.

9. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    No, that's not a justification for removing a feature that has quite a few legitimate uses... an advertised feature of the console, to boot. By that logic, Nintendo might as well remove the game cartridge slot from all DS units manufactured from now on... after all, those enable people to use flashcarts. It won't cripple them too much, after all... they'll still be able to play DSi Ware.

Consumers have certain rights; a company can't use the "well, there are some pirates out there" excuse for removing a legitimate feature from a device. Sony got burned when they released those rootkit audio CDs a while back, which also infringed the rights of consumers. Piracy was their reason then, too. But they were wrong. And they're wrong this time. Personally, I hope they end up paying out for this.

10. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Amen! [​IMG] Couldn't have said it better myself.

11. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    All Sony did by removing that is hurt themselves more. They gave people a reason to hack the console.

12. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    oh noz so you won't be able to pirate or homebrew on the ps3 now without the other os so lets sue sony! cry me a fucking river! [​IMG]

13. Arp1

Member Arp1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Coming from a Nintendo fanboy. [​IMG] Troll much?

14. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    This is kind of funny on Sony's part, I mean they already screwed their loyal Playstation fans twice. The first time is with their launch of the PS3 that had backwards compatibility to play PS1 and PS2 games. They didn't by doing this that can cause a drop in sales from the PS2 so they took that out which was reasonible, only this time I can care less about them getting sued because no one told them fucking advertise a console that's so powerful that you can run other OS! Personally, Sony is going to have the answer that question with deep thought but oh wait...how much does a PS3 cost plus how many times did Sony actually had a good gaming title besides LPB? Without the 'eye-candy', in this case the backwards compatibility and now the other OS were the eye-candy's. Now Sony took those away, you have to reap the consequences. However, Sony is a company. They don't care about 3 people or more suing them over for something that majority of PS3 owners already know. Those three ppl have nothing better else to do and want to be seen ala media.

15. connor_walsh

Member connor_walsh GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Other-OS wasn't a feature that many people used but it's nice to say to 360 fan boy "my console is a computer as well [​IMG]"

16. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    I would be ashamed to come from a place called Cumming, imagine all of the torture the people there must go through. "Oh I'm Cumming".

17. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I never really used this feature of the PS3, in fact I never really used my PS3 at all, but it would be nice to see this feature return, although I doubt it will.

18. quepaso

Member quepaso GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Im glad OtherOS got removed, it showed the world how much of a piece of trash Geohotz is. Where is his CFW? Where is his exploit? All his attention whoring did was REMOVE a feature people had already. Good job.

He is a child looking for attention, and im glad so many on here were willing to give him said attention.

19. fgghjjkll
    OP

Australia
    Yes, he's a child alright. But he's the one who found like 1/4 of all iphone OS exploits and released his blackra1n jailbreaks.

What do age got to do with genuinity?

20. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    So you'd rather have no further PlayStations just because Sony removed an advertised feature that people claim to be "a main selling point to most"?
    Yeah they said "The PS3 is a PC too!", but everyone knows that if you want a PC, get a goddamn PC, not a gaming console.

This is seriously getting out of hand. Sony wants to prevent piracy and exploits on their product(s). Why not let them?