Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSO was my 2nd most favorite Homebrew.
cry.gif

Now all my data was erased.. It says this upon startup on DSO:

"The resource directory is incomplete or missing. Certain features such as the Homebrew Database and homebrew booting might not work and some graphics may be missing! Please make sure you unzipped the resources directory properly."

First of all, this happened out of no where. I booted it up a couple of times to transfer files between folders, then I booted it up one more time, and BAM. That message.

All my Day Plans, and etc have been erased. Why did this happen and how can I solve it?

Second one, it won't boot from the middle icon anymore. It did before, but now it just locks my DS up.

This sucks..

~Nero

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Second one, it won't boot from the middle icon anymore. It did before, but now it just locks my DS up.
That happened to me with the 3in1 Expansion Pack Tool a couple of times. It turned out that the _DS_MENU.DAT file was corrupted (slightly, only a few bytes were altered), and I had to replace the file before I could use the middle button again.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What the... There aren't any files in my DSOrganize folder on my R4.

This isn't normal, right? There isn't anything in all the folders. (Cache, Day, Help, Scribble, etc)

~Nero

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSO has long been known as a memory card rapist. You should expect that this may happen again if you keep using it, so back up your important data frequently.

I don't know exactly how to recover files from an SD card, but I do know that if you want to try to recover them you shouldn't write anything to the card at all, or the data may be permanantly lost.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSO has long been known as a memory card rapist. You should expect that this may happen again if you keep using it, so back up your important data frequently.

Funny. I've been using it for months now, this is the first time it's "raped" my MicroSD.

Oh well.. It just screwed with the DSOrganize folder, I'm reformatting now.

~Nero

pitprop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I has lots of problems with earlier versons..

Twice it completely corrupted my micro sd card. I could not even format it through windows ( i had to restart the PC with the card in the reader and let windows automatically repair it).

Its a great bit of software when it works. I was tempted to try it again, but its not worth the hassle when it screws up your card.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't know exactly how to recover files from an SD card, but I do know that if you want to try to recover them you shouldn't write anything to the card at all, or the data may be permanantly lost.
Thats good to know, but ATM my Evolution hasn't shown up so I'm running it on my crappy Games'n'Music with it's iffy DLDI drivers and my 2G Kingston and haven't had any corruption problems that I noticed. That is until I tried to upgrade DSOrganize to the 3.11129 version the other day at which point a straight copy would fail as it would say that the CACHE directory was NOT empty. Looking at the directory itself showed it to be read only, and trying to untick that led to it being marked read only again immediately. The directory itself looked empty. I ended up fixing it by running scan disk on the card, fixing filesystem errors, then just blowing away all the DSO files and directories, then trying to install again which worked fine. Had a bunch of lost files, which I am sure were what were supposedly in the recalcitrant directories.

Some people probably won't like that solution, but in my case I've only had a DS for about 2w, and din't have anything importantin DSO yet, so if you KNOW what files are what for DSO I'd imagine that you could save/back those up, re-install then replace the important data files to get back to what you had. I don't know yet, what anything is in DSO file structure yet, but I do know that the web browser seems to be pretty good for a little device(needs bookmarking and/or some integrated way of storing links, if there's one there I've missed it to date), the IRC client is good, and the homebrew db browser nifty(db's a little sparse though).

I NEVER would have noticed the DSO ptoblem, had I not decided to install the updated version AND decided to do a drag-and-drop overwrite upgrade. Another little problem I had was that initiallly I tried it under win2k and my USB subsystem locked the OS HARD(no blue screen, but also zero activity) so I had to reset, which is just as likely the cause of corruption. (I suspect that my win2k problems are related to the various evil copy-protection systems, and virtual disk software that I have installed getting confused that my memory stick is a CDROM that need "protecting" from my nefarious activities. Damned copy protection must die, especially since I can't run The Witcher under win2k because of it. (Works fine as expected under my XP Pro install, but I still prefer win2k. Also finished my DSO updates under XP as I have less software installed under it and almost no games, so no evil copy protection.)

That said, I've got a 3in1 too, and I don't think that the 3in1 had anything to do with your problems. The 3in1 w/o running any sw is a mostly inert hunk of silicon and plastic. The sw used with it, Rudolph's 3in1, integrated, etc. might do bad things, but I'd expect it to corrupt things in it's own directories and not DSO's. In any even Rudolp-h's tool has been running on mine for about a week, and hasn't messed anything up yet.

(Anyways, I'm in this forum looking around as I'm scouting a different type of flash cart(slot 1) backup for my Evolution, but I've got it down to I'll either spring for a M3DS REAL Perfect combo cheap build quality and all, or maybe an R4DS SDHC if it ever comes out plus an EZF IV Lite Deluxe or the ewin expansion pack as I'd rather have DSLinux see 32M(ewin) v. 16M (EZFIV). (want a slot-2 backup as well.) DSLinux doesn't like my GnM with my 2G ATM so I'm just whiling away time awaiting my evo.)

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My card's screwed up twice. Not sure if DSO did it.

First time, I turned my DS off and went to sleep. When I woke up, the card was corrupted. Not sure what happened there... It seemed to only corrupt .nds and .png files, nothing else, so I was able to backup my saves before reformatting.

Second time, my memory card randomly said it had half as much memory as it was supposed to have. Since I use Linux, it was easy. I just had to use GParted to format it, and in doing so, found out it partitioned itself. I have no idea why it did that to this day.

But now I have a better card (PNY), so nothing happens.

usmagen

Trophies
Website
usmagen.deviantart.com
XP
Country
methinks that it does mess up with some files sometimes. ive had the same problems with this particular homebrew before. ive tried reformatting a couple of times every time it screws my card. the latest update seems to be working fine though, so far..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up