Two Bricked Wiis that have been sitting for years

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zakky, Jun 18, 2017.

1. zakky
    OP

zakky Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2012
    United States
    I had two older Wiis that have been sitting in my closet for around 5 years. About 6 months ago, I took them both out. Both would boot to a black screen. Luckily both of these Wiis have boot2 installed so I threw in a bootmii folder on the SD and both could boot to Bootmii but trying to access HBC would result in a blackscreen. I was going to tackle the situation and format the NAND via Giantpune's NAND Tools but I was lazy and placed the Wiis back in the closet.

Fast forward to now, I decided I had the free time to recover these Wiis. Both Wiis now will not boot to Bootmii no matter what. I also tried different SD cards, no luck. Also tried switching to using different AV cables and Composite Cables, still no luck.

Since these Wiis can longer boot to Bootmii, are they RIP?

NOTE: Both Wiis' disc drive lights emulate and the disc drives spin.

Last edited by zakky, Jun 18, 2017
  2. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    if priiloader is installed did you try to get into that, you can do that by holding in the reset button while turning it on.

3. zakky
    OP

zakky Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2012
    United States
    PriiLoader was installed on both of the Wiis. No, PriiLoader won't boot. I don't understand how Bootmii won't launch when it ran fine 6 months ago.

I don't have any NAND backups for these Wiis. I was hoping that Bootmii would work. Then I can dump the nand into the SD, format it on the PC and use RestoreMii to reinstall new NAND.

IIRC, it was Hackmii v1.0 that was installed on these Wiis years ago. I'm using a bootmii folder that was generated by Hackmii v1.2. Would that be a problem at all?

4. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    do you remember why the wii is bricked? more than likely if you cannat access priiloader and you have no nand backup you wont be able to recover from the brick.

5. zakky
    OP

zakky Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2012
    United States
    For reference, these Wiis were softmodded using the Softmod guide from Wiihacks during the time.

The Wiis started acting up the moment I turned on Wii Connect 24. Slowly over time, the Wiis would boot to a black screen and the Wii would never power down to the red light (stayed on yellow). To postpone the problem I would re-do the wiihacks guide to get the System Menu wads reinstalled. This would help but the problem would come back, even with reformatting the Wii to get rid of the Wii Connect 24 settings.

At the time, I was losing interest in MKWii, so I packed the Wiis up and placed them in the closet.

6. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Even if you can get into bootmii, you still need a specific nand backup from that wii to recover it, you can't just use any nand backup. It is possible you have a different problem, you could take it apart and see if you have a loose blue tooth module, I've heard those things come loose quite easily.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Do the drive LEDs flash once or twice?

8. zakky
    OP

zakky Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2012
    United States
    Alright, I'll see if the module is loose.

But, to what you said about the NAND backup. I was not going to use another Wii's NAND Backup.

If I could access Bootmi, I could dump the current nand.bin and keys.bin. Then use ohneswanzenegger to format the NAND and rebuild it with a working system menu with other needed IOS's and generate a new setting.txt with my serial number. Then open up Wii Flash Tools and append the keys.bin to the formatted NAND. After that I would launch Bootmii again and dump the formatted NAND into the Wii. Would this not work?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@The Real Jdbye, flashes once then twice.

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The double flash means BootMii is working, but it's failing to read the BootMii files from the SD card.
    Not sure what the single flash means. I've only had my Wii flash either once or twice, not both at the same time :unsure:

10. zakky
    OP

zakky Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2012
    United States
    The moment I hit the power button theres one LED flash then after a split second, the LED flashes twice quickly. So, Bootmii is working but the screen is not showing. Could this be hardware related and something simply has just degraded overtime and as a result, video will not show. I mean I can do this all without a TV screen (lol), but only if there's a guarantee the Wii's video output would work again afterwards.

11. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    ohneswanzenegger will work, to me it seems complicated but i have seen where somebody recovered from a brick. But, if you got no video output then I would exhaust all other options before trying ohneswanzenegger, I think even with a bricked wii there would be at least a black screen video output.

Last edited by SickPuppy, Jun 18, 2017
  12. zakky
    OP

zakky Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2012
    United States
    OK, got bootmii to work.

The bootmii folders I had on my computer (which came from other Wiis, all of which could only install bootmii as IOS), do not work. Is is because those bootmii folders came from Wiis without boot2?

Anyway, I grabbed a bootmii folder from a random site I found on google and it works. HBC still results in blackscreen and Wii Menu goes black as well. Unfortunately some things have come up so I'll have to do the reformatting later in the evening. I'll post results tonight or tomorrow.

13. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I would assume you don't see a health safety screen as well.

14. zakky
    OP

zakky Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2012
    United States
    ^Correct.

Alright, one of the Wiis is back up and running! Got a fresh 4.1 system menu installed ready for bannerbomb.

The other Wii, no matter which Bootmii folder I use, Bootmii won't appear. I'll try to find different Bootmii folders online and maybe I'll get lucky.

Regarding the recovered Wii, when I did my initial NAND backup, I had 4 ECC Failures. I don't know what that means, maybe its something that caused the initial brick years ago.

Thank you guys for the quick replies, I'll keep working on the other Wii.

15. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    It's not uncommon for a NAND to have some bad blocks.