Twitch source code, passwords, SDKs, and more made publically available in major leak

asddasad.png

Earlier this week saw Facebook, Whatsapp, and Instagram all go down in a supposed hacking incident. However, that wasn't the only major thing to happen this Monday; apparently, Twitch was hacked, with an anonymous source posting a 125GB torrent onto 4chan today that contained user data and other sensitive information from the website. Reportedly, this data dump contains a wide variety of different things, such as the source code for Twitch, private SDKs, information about payouts that live streamers receive, clients for various platforms that Twitch is available on, and even data pertaining to other websites that Twitch owns such as IGDB and CurseForge.

Beyond that, there also appears to be an unreleased PC storefront for digital games, with the codename of Vapor, intended to compete against Steam and the Epic Games Store. As for the leaked passwords, they are reportedly encrypted. Regardless, it would be wise to change your password, or even turn on two-factor authentication for Twitch if you haven't already.

According to news outlet VGC, who broke the initial story, the following is in the torrent:

• The entirety of Twitch’s source code with comment history “going back to its early beginnings”
  • Creator payout reports from 2019
  • Mobile, desktop and console Twitch clients
  • Proprietary SDKs and internal AWS services used by Twitch
  • “Every other property that Twitch owns” including IGDB and CurseForge
  • An unreleased Steam competitor, codenamed Vapor, from Amazon Game Studios
  • Twitch internal ‘red teaming’ tools (designed to improve security by having staff pretend to be hackers)

According to the 4chan post, the hacker uploaded the leak in order to cause disruption and competition for Twitch, as they find the community to be toxic. While nothing else has been uploaded quite yet, the user claims that they will be leaking even more files soon in the future.

:arrow: Source

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wonder if the site mods have so much as Twitched to this news...they clearly don't give a shit about their platform, considering how rules are unfairly enforced. I remember a female streamer going out of her way to give herself a temporary ban, when the mods failed to do so for an infraction, some time ago, yet the mods hammer other streamers.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I wonder if the site mods have so much as Twitched to this news...they clearly don't give a shit about their platform, considering how rules are unfairly enforced. I remember a female streamer going out of her way to give herself a temporary ban, when the mods failed to do so for an infraction, some time ago, yet the mods hammer other streamers.
Seriously there are people who bot channels and they don't give a shit.

• Haha
Reactions: RichardTheKing

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
Thats what they want you to believe
;)
In case it was serious: It doesn't matter what you think that they did. Fact is, that it was an incident (and a hacker wouldn't have gained access to the BGP configuration anyway) and therefore the sentence is false. Would prefer for it to be corrected.

EDIT: Adding "supposed" does not make it more right. Remove the speculation entirely please, it's not credible and only perpetuates more wrong information.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would rather a youtube leak but I will take this.

I want to know how they put a thumb on the scales (even the names of mod options can give things away, see some of the Twitter leaks a while back), what detection methods are used for various things (did like the actual band playing live triggering their copyright), if there are internal comms then those and the like.

Mind you source code to a website that operates at this scale is bound to be filled with some interesting things too.

Similarly some get on some nice analysis of payouts. Timeframes, averages, demographics... could make for some reading there and put ideas to rest, or confirm speculation.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
EDIT: Adding "supposed" does not make it more right. Remove the speculation entirely please, it's not credible and only perpetuates more wrong information.
The supposition is indeed real, so the statement is correct.

The official PR response is backed for some, but not all employees heard by the press, so nothing confirmed here for either side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended