Twinsen - Pilot Episode Demo

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by .TakaM, Nov 16, 2006.

Nov 16, 2006

Twinsen - Pilot Episode Demo by .TakaM at 6:08 AM (2,902 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. .TakaM
    OP

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    As some of you may or may not know, Ive been working on a platformer with my coder for about the last two months, we're very happy with how everything has progressed and the time has come for the first public demo.

but first, why is it called the 'Pilot Episode Demo'? because this game is a TV show, and features the first level as the pilot episode, the first level may change in the final game, just how the first episode in a TV show may be remade if the show gets picked up, time will tell. [​IMG]

so, let me get on with it.
    here are some screens:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

what does the demo feature? play it yourself and find out! [​IMG]
    the controls are as follow:
    * f4 - toggle full screen
    * shift - run
    * z - jump
    * x - sword
    * c - magic ball
    * enter - start
    * arrow keys - move
    but, if you have a controller, I highly suggest downloading joy2key and playing the game with that [​IMG]

spend some time mastering the controls and how Twinsen moves and attacks, there are also a few secrets in the demo, if you don't figure them out after a few weeks, I'll tell you them [​IMG] [​IMG]

Okay, heres the demo link:
    Twinsen Pilot Episode Demo
    (windows only sorry)
    I'd also appreciate if some of you guys can mirror it if the link stops working
    ENJOY

2. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    The screenshots look amazing! Too bad it's only windows, because I use Ubuntu Linux. Are you and your coder making it in C++? If so, I don't see the difficulty in porting it to linux.

Keep up the good work [​IMG]

3. .TakaM
    OP

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    sadly its only being made in gamemaker, widely hated but I dont mind, it gets the job done.

4. Extreme Coder

Member Extreme Coder GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Oh GameMaker... I had old memories of using that... It's not half-bad I guess, but I tell you, switch to a REAL programming language early in the progress of the game, or else it would be very hard for you later on.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  6. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    It's really nice. I like it. Although I found myself slipping off into the water a lot.

Also, were some of the sounds taken from Zelda? Mainly the sounds of the plant monsters remind me of scrubs in the N64 games.

Here's a more permanent mirror:
    http://www.samutz.com/TakaM/Twinsen.exe

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    My computer doesn't like it [​IMG] "Unexpected error occurred when running the game"
    What are the minimum system requirements? My graphics card's a bit shit, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's a problem with my setup
    (Windows XP Home SP2, Direct X 8, "S3-VIA Twister K" Graphics card with 16MB video RAM (lol)... at least I think that's the graphics card model, kinda hard to tell in a laptop)

8. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    awesome graphics and animation, nice job...
    but the game runs really slow on my computer, and it's pretty much impossible to play the game on a european keyboard...is there no way to configure the controls? [​IMG]

9. tshu

Member tshu On epic journey, brb.

Canada
    It's awesome, but I kept falling into the water after killing the first plant monster too. The guy just slides off the fist ledge, and totally skips the little ledge below it, going into the water. I love the graphics!

I uploaded a mirror for you (but also .rar'd it): twinsen.rar

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Oh and about the controller joy2key thing: you can do this with an EZ-FA, a link cable and it's key-mapping software. Okay so I can't actually test if it works but Yay Twinsen controlled by GBA! [​IMG]

11. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    The style is so beatiful, it´s like Conquest Of Crystal Palace meets Kirby [​IMG]
    Can´t wait to get home and try it [​IMG]

12. dimsum411

Newcomer dimsum411 Advanced Member

United States
    I think you've captured the LBA spirit with this demo, it's runs great. I got to the end, maybe you should add a trigger scene. Tell me Funfrock makes an appearance in a future build.

13. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    yay, I have been waiting for this! It's very nice, and the intro made wanna play GS again, but first I gotta finish this. [​IMG]

14. DaRk_ViVi

Member DaRk_ViVi ...is everywhere!

Italy
    Wow it's great! But i have the problem: is there an end of this demo or you just get at the end of the "world" and come back? [​IMG]

15. .TakaM
    OP

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    thanks for all the compliments, and if its running a bit slow you can turn off some of the more taxing graphics in the options to make it run smoother

16. Mehdi

Member Mehdi Lemonade by Psyfira

Netherlands
    thats hot

17. lastdual

lastdual Newbie

Very nice TakaM!

Some points:

The main character should have less forward momentum when walking/falling off a ledge - it's hard to fall straight to a platform below without holding back in the opposite direction immediately.

Four buttons seems unnecessary and cumbersome, particularly a dedicated "run" button. I would take a cue from Mario and have the attack button double as a run button when held down.

An option to zoom the sprites would be nice (VBA-style).

Other than that, this looks great. Can't wait for more!

PS: That double jump is pretty tricky too, but I like it [​IMG]

18. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    wow, this was quite some nice work (much better than anything i've ever made in gamemaker) (though it was several years ago, and now i've grown up)

This makes me wanna make that game I always wanted to do..

Now some comments:

Graphics: 10/10 Awesome [​IMG] cant say anything else...

Gameplay: 6-8 / 10 A little slow perhaps (I mean, when he walks) (Note; I don't mean the game runs slow.. just his movement [​IMG] ). And when he keep going in a direction when you try to just drop a level (as some have said). The "slow" jumping is good, and brings a great (good) difficulty when you have to time the jumps quite good! [​IMG]

Sound: 7/10 They were OK, sounds like some zelda sound effects... Music was nice [​IMG]

Hehe, I just found a funny video, with a crazy thing which would be funny as a secret boss or something: "Lama Läppen" (Translated from swedish: "The paralyzed lip") : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwkwKeWkkQQ
    awesome and hard (fast moving) boss [​IMG]

Keep it up! [​IMG]

19. .TakaM
    OP

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    the forward momentum, quite a few people have mentioned it, I guess it needs changing thanks [​IMG]
    the four buttons.. well, I was quite obsessed with super metroid while working on this game, and it has the button for running, which I liked, it added to the feeling of an accomplishment when you master the controls, I really have and it feels great playing the demo and then double taking what buttons I just pushed [​IMG]
    an option to zoom the sprites, I wanted to have this, infact for a short time, the 1, 2 and 3 keys would zoom the screen to 100%, 200% and 300% but sadly it didnt quite work perfectly so we couldnt keep it

thanks for taking the time [​IMG]

20. Jeda

Member Jeda GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    alt+shift should change the german qwertz to the international qwerty layout. Or you could use that key-mapping program mentioned elsewhere in the thread