Twilight Hack and Homebrew Channel Clarifications

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TheCruiser, Aug 1, 2008.

1. TheCruiser
    OP

Newcomer TheCruiser Member

Canada
    I just wanted to make sure of things before I install these two things... I need all the advice I can get [​IMG].

-After I install the Homebrew Channel, can I remove the Twilight Hack and replace it back with my original Twilight save data?
    -Continuing from the previous question, do I still require the Twilight Hack to run the Homebrew Channel?
    -Lastly, will if I run those emulators (SNES, N64, and etc.), will all my data be stored (save data and game itself) on the Wii's memory or only on the SD card?

2. atomiccow

Newcomer atomiccow Advanced Member

United States
    The Twilight Hack can be removed and replaced with original save data after you're done, yes. It's not needed to run HBC, however, you should keep it on there in the case that you get banner bricked (meaning that a wad is installed and bricks your system menu). The common recovery seems to be that you buy a modchip and burn an autobooting version of Zelda, load up the twilight hack, and use it to launch an application that removes the bad wad, restoring your Wii to normal.

This, of course, requires you to keep the twilight hack on your console. If you aren't installing wads, I suppose there isn't much need for you to keep it on there though.

EDIT: To your last question - I believe it's all stored on the SD.

3. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    1. Yes, after the Homebrew Channel is installed, you can remove the Twilight Hack, and place your original save back onto the Wii.

2. No, the Twilight Hack is not needed to run programs from the Homebrew Channel. There might be a few applications that don't work properly with the Homebrew Channel, but most do.

3. Any emulators, ROMs, and save data will probably be stored on the SD card. However, some emulators support saving to the GameCube Memory Card as well.

4. TheCruiser
    OP

Canada
    So you're saying there's a chance I could get my Wii bricked if I say installed a .wad game?

5. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Well the topic just suits my question, I can't find the answer anywhere.

Is TP Hack 0.1beta1 (the one for 3.3) compatible with old firmwares? My logic says it should be compatible since the game exploit is the same but this time the save file is different so that 3.3 firmware can't detect it. But I need to be sure of that since I'll be putting this information in a howto.

6. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Not really, no. As long as you get one that someone else has made, such as downloading a torrent, then it should be fine. If you are downloading a torrent, read the comments to see what people have said about the WAD. I haven't bricked my Wii...yet.

7. TheCruiser
    OP

Canada
    Well since it's kind of the only download in WiiBrew.org, then it must work with previous versions...

8. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    It should still work, the only change was an edit in the way its stored i think

Also its not the only downlaod if you go to changelogs you can see the mirrors to old ones

9. nanika

Member nanika 文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。

United States
    Yes, it does work with other versions, or at least 3.2, as that's what I'm using it on.

As for the differences: they are just to fool the deleter program added in 3.3, I'd assume pther versions will have no problem. ^^

10. TheCruiser
    OP

Canada
    Oh the last question to pop in my head [​IMG]. Is it possible to have both the hack and my saves be able to work on the Wii?

11. Diablo1123

United States
    no

12. TheCruiser
    OP

Canada
    Okay okay what is the chances of banner bricking then...?

13. Diablo1123

United States
    Banner bricking is only from homebrew channels I think

14. WiiCrazy

Turkey
    Thanks a lot for clarifications [​IMG]
    Just used the information in the guide (this in my local forum)

15. Diablo1123

United States
    Okay, but remember that I cannot be held responsible for any damages caused by anything I said here kk? =d

16. WiiCrazy

Turkey
    Well the damage it could cause is that I need to be rewriting most of the guide. For end users it would probably only result with a coredump (luckily)