TWEWY Jap audio in Eur version!

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Heran Bago, Apr 18, 2008.

Apr 18, 2008
  1. Heran Bago
    OP

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The earlier thread inspired me but proper releases deserve their own thread.
    This will replace all the audio with that of the original Japanese game, ??????? or ???????? or It's a wonderful world.

How to use:

1) Get DS Top System. (google)

2) Open up your backup of "The World Ends With You". (xms-weye.nds?) You might want to open a copy of the file since the change to teh file will be permanent.

3) In the file browser, open the sound folder.

4) Replace with sound_data.sdat with this file (rename it to sound_data.sdat first) by right-clicking and hitting 'import file.'

What does this replace?

All the game's sound seems to be in the sound_data.sdat file. This is really just the Japanese sound_data.sdat with extra 00s. Seems to redo all the character voices (no more shitty dubs!) but the music is still non-nonsensical English. Guess it was that was in the original?

Anywho enjoy. [​IMG]

2. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    Thanks a bunch!

3. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    i have never heard of DS Top System and google isnt giving me anything....

4. Heran Bago
    OP

United States
    You can get it here. Don't know why such a great tool is so hard to find. You need it for NSMB hacking, NDStool just can't always do the job.

Also, this patch doesn't replace the audio in the FMVs. That sucks because that's when most of the voice acting IS.

5. bunnybreaker

Member bunnybreaker GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I used DSlazy to unpack both versions of the game, then copied the sound folder and all the adx files. Have hardly played it, but it seems to have worked, AND replaced the sound in the videos.

6. Heran Bago
    OP

United States
    All of them?

hmm..

Sounds like it's worth it.

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
  8. Heran Bago
    OP

United States
    Ah. Thank you. Fixed.

This isn't a 100% re dubbing. Not sure if I want to replace all the cutscenes with the originals. I can understand the spoken language but some kanji kicks my ass.

The game doesn't seem to use much tough kanji though.

9. BaTa

Newcomer BaTa Member

United States
    Actually, like I mentioned in the locked thread replacing the adx files changes the voices in the "movies", *but* it doesn't change the images in the game itself.
    Also, what I called "movies" are basically cutins flashing around the background, playing sound files at key points.

In other words; most movies ingame show the "more difficult sentences" on either the topscreen or the touchscreen as text to emphasize the emotion etc.

I'm now in chapter 3 and from what I've noticed is that only a handfull of movies don't have "subs" but those movies are quite easy to understand neways.
    Mostly grunting, sighing and one/two word sentences.

I haven't played the original so I don't know if an audio swap would be succesful and haven't bothered trying.

10. DukeZero

Newcomer DukeZero Member

Netherlands
    Swapping all the .ADX files works, but only the opening cutscene has subtitles. So you might want to refrain from swapping them. Swapping the music isn't that useful either, since the changed tracks are actually better IMO.

11. MikoReimu

Newcomer MikoReimu Member

United States
    So wait, can we change the music as well as the voices? Which files contain the music?

12. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

[​IMG]

(finally im advanced member! [​IMG])

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Make sure to switch the audio back to English before the final battle, as the ending scene has a lot of dialogue, and no subtitles.

14. bunnybreaker

Member bunnybreaker GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Any possibility we could figure out which sound file(s) are for that vid, then we could do a complete undub, minus the ending.

Thanks for the info, I've hardly started playing, and so far am loving it undubbed, but would rather understand the ending when I get there. I just wish the main theme was in Japanese [​IMG]

Edit: I've unpacked the (E) and (J) versions again and had a look at the files. Now I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and I suspect the file "ending.adx" is the sound file for the ending movie. Redubbing it now, with all files minus that.