• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 17,249
  • Replies 26
  • Likes 3
D

Deleted User

OP
So I tweaked around a little bit, and the end result I found was that using @Sono ‘s amazing reverse engineering of the Filters and Widescreen (384X240) can be combined and better than that their resolution can be 8:5 (and not 16:10) rather than 16:9 (3DS screens are not HD from any perspective). The only thing required to do is using @ahezard ’s TWL_FIRM Patcher (https://github.com/ahezard/twl_firm_patcher) that applies Sono’s filter (crisp and sharp) create one TwlBg.cxi, then reconstruct the exefs.bin using own methods (I used Wayback Machine to get old files from the firm patcher and rebuild it using the files inside) and then using the widescreen executable, I made a hybrid TwlBg.cxi (With Sono’s Crisp Filter and Widescreen hack (working on both screens - a bit less on the top screen)). Then I manually changed the Widescreen Cheat Code using @PRAGMA ’s guide (https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-play-nds-games-in-hd-widescreen-16-9-21-9-32-9.538988/) and his decimal formula for 16:10 aspect ratio and patched roms using DSATM or R4CCE. The new cheat code will have changed the value of 1555 (hex) to 1999 (8:5 or 16:10) rather than 1C71 (16:9 which made everything look good and small and kinda in 3D, BUT WITHOUT any HD quality (most people complained about this) and rendering losing high % of pixels)

The end result is perfectly aligned and sharp crispy beautiful screen on my N2DSXL and N3DS as well! The Games look real good with Sono’s crisp filter and Widescreen Mode.

Credits:
Sono (for his crisp filter and Widescreen TWL FIRM)
PRAGMA (for his guide, formula and exceptional Custom Widescreen Cheat Codes)
Ahezard (for his FIRM patcher)
Me (for combining and tweaking all above works)

Also, you can use Ahezards the old firm patcher to unlock goodness of speed boost and sound to your TWL FIRM, and would not have to use the worthless Twilight Menu (by Robz8) each time. Use Forwarders (by @Robz8 , he nowadays doesn't upgrade/updates them with TWiLight Menu being there, but seriously they are far better)! They look really good on Home Menu! :D

EDIT:
This one shows the 16:9 cheat with Widescreen TWL and look how awful and distorted/pixelated it looks without any sharpness (although my hybrid TWL has Crisp Filter, yet this one has no sharpness) (notice the extreme right mountain, it looks poor because of loss in % pixels, does it have any HD in it? ;P)

65C5610B-A2F5-4C1C-8170-96DE3EC69221.jpeg

The second one here shows my custom aspect ratio cheat (calculated using Pragma’s nice and logical formula) (look how crisp and fine it looks, the trees, mountains and lake are sharp and within resolution)

3E5BA671-F75D-4D1D-BB12-E9078124C0A2.jpeg

Then compare these two yourself (16:9 and 8:5 (or 16:10) respectively) (Notice Lucas’ white eyes in the 16:9 one)

5AC25D42-322C-4F1B-8F71-096FE0AE0ADE.jpeg
08159FEE-99D3-4E3C-AC6C-52171FD2C660.jpeg
Which one do you think is better? 16:9 or 8:5 (8:5 multiplying and dividing by 2 -> 16:10 which might look better with the Widescreen but without Sharpness yet with “True Widescreen”)

The end result is that my hybrid TWL firm gives a great filter (likely equal to Bilinear on Desmume) and the aspect ratio makes the NDS and DSi roms fit properly on the 3DS screens (Here, it is my N2DSXL and it looks better on the small screens of N3DS) [16:9 is useless and bad-looking since the filthy TN screens of 3DS are NOT HDTV and the resolution is very low!]

Proof of HYBRID TWL FIRM: (look at the bottom screens of the above photos)
and, EF0865D8-BEAF-4E12-B124-C12E5A301939.jpeg5C7E8C35-DDA6-4054-A84C-F4727C38DEB4.jpeg

EDIT2: 8:5 and 16:10 ratios are mathematically and logically (extremely basic and naive) are the same, but for Screen Resolution (Aspect Ratios) they are not! 4:3 is not same as 16:9 (on squaring them!) Remember you never simplify your marks - 98/100 marks doesn't mean that you got 49/50 marks, the Examination was for 100 marks not 50! Similarly the pixels are multiples of 8 and 5, and not 16 and 10! (Just to clarify some pot heads, Eg. 24 is a multiple of 8 but not 16, and 25 is a multiple of 5 and not 10)

Last edited by ,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call TwilightMenu useless at all.
It revitalized the DSi to be more of use again to a lot of people and it has many features included in one menu.
It only boots slowly on a 3DS, on a DSi it almost instantly gets to the menu so it is pretty much the only homebrew I use on my DSi now.
And if you have concerns with the Activity Log getting you banned, you can always transfer your dirty NAND to sysNAND and your online NAND to emuNAND so you have a quicker and safer experience when using homebrew.

D

Deleted User

OP
I wouldn't call TwilightMenu useless at all.
It revitalized the DSi to be more of use again to a lot of people and it has many features included in one menu.
It only boots slowly on a 3DS, on a DSi it almost instantly gets to the menu so it is pretty much the only homebrew I use on my DSi now.
And if you have concerns with the Activity Log getting you banned, you can always transfer your dirty NAND to sysNAND and your online NAND to emuNAND so you have a quicker and safer experience when using homebrew.
There are no ban waves nowadays (though Nintendo CAN DO anything at anytime, they threw out there lazy staff), and I did not mean anything like that, I meant that The Activity Log shows your records of playing NDS and DSi Games, and it looks good on the 3DS home menu. Also who uses the EmuNAND these days? Everybody has Luma, which is exceptional!

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ok, ¿ can you share an easy way to do that with out needing wayback machines and dunno wat ?

For peasants that still use their hand for wanking

Reactions: puerkobi

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would not have to use the worthless Twilight Menu each time. Use Forwarders! They look really good on Home Menu! :D
Yeah, cause obviously the home menu has an all in one menu, SD navigation, themes other than 3DS, an infinite amount of apps to insert and an easy "insert and play" method without installing a CIA.
Psst: You can only have 40 forwarders on the official 3DS home menu

Don't bash other homebrew without reason please.

EDIT: Also, 8:5 is just another way of saying 16:10.
Can someone please look into this to see if it actually does anything, or is it that the OP is just trolling

Last edited by NightScript,

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, cause obviously the home menu has an all in one menu, SD navigation, themes other than 3DS, an infinite amount of apps to insert and an easy "insert and play" method without installing a CIA.
Psst: You can only have 40 forwarders on the official 3DS home menu

Don't bash other homebrew without reason please.

EDIT: Also, 8:5 is just another way of saying 16:10.
Can someone please look into this to see if it actually does anything, or is it that the OP is just trolling
16:10 is actually 2 time 8:5, so you'll get an image that's actually 2 times closer (like zoomed in) when using 8:5, at least in theory (doing the hack I could definetely feel the image was closer, but I can't for sure if it's 2 times closer or maybe it's just placebo) don't if that's how the 3ds handles scaling tho, if it's better or worse I guess it's up to the player. To me both 16:10 and 8:5, and even the original 16:9 are wortless, since I don't like messing up games to make them play in a ratio that they were not designed for.

EDIT: oh, I'm dumb, the "zoomed in" feel I'm getting is because the new aspect ratio is 16:10 instead of 16:9

Last edited by evertonstz,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Even though the OP is making 8:5 seem like it's not the exact same as 16:10, applying a different scale matrix to the Y axis however is not fake. The widescreen patch only clears the X scale matrix as a temporary limitation, the Y scaling is left unaffected because it already stretches to 240.

fyi, the scale matrix treats 256x192 as 1:1, so I'm actually upscaling to 5:3x / 5:4y

Reactions: Deleted User

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
16:10 is actually 2 time 8:5, so you'll get an image that's actually 2 times closer (like zoomed in) when using 8:5, at least in theory (doing the hack I could definetely feel the image was closer, but I can't for sure if it's 2 times closer or maybe it's just placebo) don't if that's how the 3ds handles scaling tho, if it's better or worse I guess it's up to the player. To me both 16:10 and 8:5, and even the original 16:9 are wortless, since I don't like messing up games to make them play in a ratio that they were not designed for.

EDIT: oh, I'm dumb, the "zoomed in" feel I'm getting is because the new aspect ratio is 16:10 instead of 16:9
That's like saying "1/2 of the cup filled with water is more than 2/4s of a cup filled with water"

Reactions: Sono

richardZeldaModder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, instead of stretching the image... would I be able to change the settings so that pixel perfect mode would be centered? (Instead of the top screen touching the bottom of that screen, and the bottom screen touching the top of that screen)

Zero_hack_One

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hello, if I understood correctly, did you manage to apply widescreen with filters? quite right? you have the file with which to have these effects in New Nintendo
3ds ??

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1