TV over Monitor?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by LegendAssassinF, Jul 18, 2013.

1. LegendAssassinF
    OP

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    I wanted to know if there was a big difference? I'm a college student and most cheap monitors don't have TV Tuners so i wanted to know if it would be a huge problem to have a TV with DVI and just use that for my dorm room?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Wouldn't it be better if you to just get a TV tuner (USB for laptop and PCIe for desktop)?

3. LegendAssassinF
    OP

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Yeah but that is extra money I rather not spend. I just want to know the difference if it is really a big deal. I could easily buy a 21 inch TV for the same price as a 21 inch Monitor but with the monitor I would need to drop another 50-100$ for the TV Tuner.

4. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    Yes, but are you going to get a 1080P TV for that price?

5. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Do you know the highest resolution supported by TV? 720p or 1080p?

For TV, since you are stuck with these two resolutions, it can get "blocky" when viewed in close distance (web browsing, productivity, etc).

6. LegendAssassinF
    OP

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

The TV i was looking at was THIS ... Yes I've played SC2 on my home tv before and didn't notice any problems with it. If you look at Newegg any 24 inch Monitor they are around the same price as the TV depending on brand.

7. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    You can get a full hd tv and use it as monitor. If you use hdmi it also save you speakers. However picture might be a bit blurry (don't know why, this happened to me even when I set res to 1080p).

8. LegendAssassinF
    OP

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

Was the blurriness that bad? I've only used my laptop on 42 inch TVs so going smaller I would think would look better at 1080p. So going from desktop with tv I believe would still looking pretty good at the end of the day if I plan on using it mainly for playing games on my PC.

9. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Actually it's not much. I sit 2m from my 37" and it was not noticeable.

10. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    It's the first time I hear an HDMI connection to be blurry.
    Unless you set your PC ad a different resolution ( other then the native 1080p of your TV ) , with such a setup you should get a crystal clear, sharp image.
    It's not like you are connected with composite video or something.

There are however some TVs that need to be told it's a PC connected ( in the settings ), as some have some special high contrast mode for viewing movies for example, assuming that you have a DVD/BR player connected.
    If your picture doesn't look right, I'd strongly recommend you to check your TV manufacture user's guide.

11. DCG

DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 1, 2010
    Netherlands
    Schiedam
    The thing I hate about a TV is the fact that nearly all of them use image enhancers, dimming etc. stuff that can work against you if you use it for things like gaming.
    My parent's Sony TV tends to dim the backlight when 75% of the screen is displaying a dark color, to enhance dark value's. But I don't want that if I'm watching a serie or play a game, as it becomes too hard to see :/

That's why I personally would recommend a monitor and just download/stream the stuff you could see on tv, or buy a tuner to add to the pc.

12. LegendAssassinF
    OP

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    So far I don't really see any clear reasons over a TV vs Monitor so I'm just going to go with a 1080p TV because it is cheaper for me due to Monitor you would have to dish out extra for a TV Tuner.

13. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    A shit TV is gonna have pretty mediocre display settings, such as blaring contrast, wonky light/black levels, pretty bad sound quality, no real customization options (so good luck trying to fix these problems by adjusting settings), and a few other problems. Monitors suffer from this same problem, but the price difference between a nice monitor and one that's shit but cheap is a smaller difference than once you get into large TVs. For example, my housemate saved $150 on a 42-inch display by going with a cheaper brand. He regrets ever doing so for the reasons stated above.

What DCG mentioned above you is a VERY big thing to consider if you're going to be gaming. Unfixable lighting levels is not something you should want to deal with.

Personally, I've also had bad experiences with HDMI outputs from a videocard to a TV. Often the image looks like it was JPEG'd and has very strange lighting distortions that it otherwise wouldn't have with a straight DVI connection. Alongside that, the TV would often force me to run at a much lower resolution in order to even recognize the HDMI, where you would then have to use your videocard to rescale the image back up... which creates even worse artifacting.

If you want a simple solution without much thought, and you don't care about the repercussions, a TV is a good decision, especially if you'll be using it for much (MUCH) more than gaming, as in, gaming/computer is not the main thing this display would be used for. If you plan on gaming and using the display for computer activity, for extended amounts of time and as a main source of entertainment, you're much better off getting a nice monitor.

14. LegendAssassinF
    OP

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    I'm not using HDMI I plan on using DVI for it

15. Celice

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I've never seen a TV that has a DVI input on it. Most settle for VGA and call that good.

16. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I've seen a few, but only a couple that had legible pixel text (picture processing can mess a PC signal up bad). Most these days tend towards HDMI, with VGA for older systems.

17. Celice

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, that's been my experience as well, especially on the picture distortion.

Though I suppose if one is sitting a fair distance away from the display, it wouldn't really matter much to the average user.

18. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    That's the point, TVs are meant to be viewed from a distance. If OP wants to use TV as a substitute for monitor, he/she needs to try it first to see if it is legible.

LegendAssassinF likes this.
  19. LegendAssassinF
    OP

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    I plan on mainly using it for my dorm room is the issue I will likely be using it for PC, PS3, and WiiU so I will be using it for more than just PC gaming. I will take Trumpet's advice and just buy the TV I'm looking at and if it is good for what I need I will just use it if not I will likely but a Monitor