Hacking Tutortials and Priiloader / HBC w/IOS58 / DOP-Mii

wootwo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to after recent attempts to softmod my wii and was hoping to find some answers as I've been looking at 2 different guides so far to compare. Here is what I've done so far on my 4.2U wii:[*]Installed Bootmii as an IOS via bannerbomb and installed HBC 1.0.8.[*]Made a NAND backup using Bootmii[*]Installed Priiloader 0.5 for the purpose of being able to restore the NAND backup if I ever have to, used hacks.ini to block updates[*]Installed Homebrew browser via HBC and installed IOS58 from there
The guides I'm using:
- http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/home
- http://gwht.wikidot.com/

My end goal is simply playing backup from a USB drive. Now the initial confusion between the guides is the mention of the Trucha bug as well as stubbed IOSs, the former mentions both by way of using DOP-mii while the latter only mentions stubs and does not use DOP-mii, yet still reaches the same goal apparently. Can anyone explain what the difference is between each method and if there is anything to be gained from doing one or the other? From what I can glean from the two guides DOP-mii will replace all stubbed IOSs while NeoGAF's tutorial only has you replace the handful of IOSs you'll be using solely for the purpose of enabling USB backup play.

From researching the past week prior to performing any of this on my wii it seems there's a pretty big difference between what sites consider "safe", "recommended" and even what is considered "okay" to cover as far as what they consider piracy, USB backups being the biggest contention. As far as "safe" goes, Priiloader seems to be something there's some disagreement on as there's zero mention of it or preloader in NeoGAF's tutorial of which I found Dr. Clipper's reasoning in this thread: http://gwht.wikidot.com/forum/t-161329/wel...mebrew-tutorial From what I saw on wiibrew.org it seems priiloader no longer depends on a patched IOS. Was this the reason it's considered unsafe by some? If not, why? It seems to be the only way anyone who has to install Bootmii as an IOS has of being able to run a NAND backup so naturally I'm curious as to why the lack of support in some circles. It seems Priiloader and other apps are moving to using AHBPROT now and while I don't really know what means for homebrew, it seems to be a safer alternative to patching IOSs.

Also, in regards to updating HBC, after skimming this thread (http://gbatemp.net/t248245-hbc-1-0-8-update?) now that it installs to IOS58 by default if present in 1.0.8, will it do so when updating if it wasn't already installed there (due to not having IOS58 when initially installing HBC) or does that require HBC to be uninstalled and then reinstalled? Is there anything to gain from it being installed to IOS58 as opposed to wherever it is installed when IOS58 isn't present? To be clear, I installed HBC before I was able to install IOS58 via the installer available in Homebrew Browser and now want to know what I need to do to install HBC to IOS58 and if there's any worthwhile reason to.

Sorry for so many questions and the wall of text, I'm just particularly confused about all of this and don't know where else to find out specific answers like these. Thank you all for any help!

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
wootwo said:
- http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/home
Above guide is outdated on TBR topic. Use this one:
http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios236
wootwo said:
My end goal is simply playing backup from a USB drive. Now the initial confusion between the guides is the mention of the Trucha bug as well as stubbed IOSs, the former mentions both by way of using DOP-mii while the latter only mentions stubs and does not use DOP-mii, yet still reaches the same goal apparently. Can anyone explain what the difference is between each method and if there is anything to be gained from doing one or the other? From what I can glean from the two guides DOP-mii will replace all stubbed IOSs while NeoGAF's tutorial only has you replace the handful of IOSs you'll be using solely for the purpose of enabling USB backup play.
IOS236 is faster, safer and preferred way than DOP-Mii.
wootwo said:
From researching the past week prior to performing any of this on my wii it seems there's a pretty big difference between what sites consider "safe", "recommended" and even what is considered "okay" to cover as far as what they consider piracy, USB backups being the biggest contention. As far as "safe" goes, Priiloader seems to be something there's some disagreement on as there's zero mention of it or preloader in NeoGAF's tutorial of which I found Dr. Clipper's reasoning in this thread: http://gwht.wikidot.com/forum/t-161329/wel...mebrew-tutorial From what I saw on wiibrew.org it seems priiloader no longer depends on a patched IOS. Was this the reason it's considered unsafe by some? If not, why? It seems to be the only way anyone who has to install Bootmii as an IOS has of being able to run a NAND backup so naturally I'm curious as to why the lack of support in some circles. It seems Priiloader and other apps are moving to using AHBPROT now and while I don't really know what means for homebrew, it seems to be a safer alternative to patching IOSs.
Basic idea is to get rid of modified IOSes

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally I don't see a point to IOS236 and I'd love for someone to explain it me cuz all I see it as is a trucha-signed IOS36 installed into slot 236.

As for your question, your first guide will work just fine. Run DOP-Mii and after it boots select the option to Install IOS36 w/FakeSign. DOP-Mii features a completely automated process for the trucha bug, all you need to do is tell it where to get the IOS's from (Over Wifi or on local SD) and authorize the installation of the modified IOS's. Once that's done, go back to DOP-Mii and select IOS36 to install new IOS's. Toggle to any IOS over 200 and click the - button your Wiimote to uninstall them Once that's done install cIOSX20b with 249 on base 57 and 250 on base 38. This will grant you USB loading.

wootwo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
Personally I don't see a point to IOS236 and I'd love for someone to explain it me cuz all I see it as is a trucha-signed IOS36 installed into slot 236.

As for your question, your first guide will work just fine. Run DOP-Mii and after it boots select the option to Install IOS36 w/FakeSign. DOP-Mii features a completely automated process for the trucha bug, all you need to do is tell it where to get the IOS's from (Over Wifi or on local SD) and authorize the installation of the modified IOS's. Once that's done, go back to DOP-Mii and select IOS36 to install new IOS's. Toggle to any IOS over 200 and click the - button your Wiimote to uninstall them Once that's done install cIOSX20b with 249 on base 57 and 250 on base 38. This will grant you USB loading.
Thanks for the instructions, I appreciate it. As the above poster noted, IOS236 seems the preferred method and it appears valid considering the neoGAF tutorial relies on it solely instead of using DOP-mii. Safety's my main concern so that's probably the route I'll take tomorrow when doing all of this, but I feel better knowing that both methods work in case I need to resort to the other, so again, thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."