Tutorial [Tutorial] Setting up 9.0 - 9.2 N3DS/XL for CFW, including EmuNAND, Coldboot, CIA Installer

Kaizerfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I didn't. I actually tried to format emuNAND with EMUNAND9 but ended up formatting the whole SD card so it looks like I have to do it all again. What tool should I use to create emuNAND backups and restore with?

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you would use the same tool after emunand has been created... sounds like it wasn't created

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nope. That's all correct, in fact it needs to be run out of SysNAND. EmuNAND9 has different options to create backups of SysNAND and EmuNAND, nothing to do whether it was started from SysNAND or not. I don't even know if it's even possible to start Homebrew Launcher on top of EmuNAND.

Formatting EmuNAND formats your whole SD card, that's normal. That's also why it says to make a backup of your microSD beforehand:

Once that is done, press Select to unmount your microSD, take out the microSD and backup all contents of the card to your PC as the next step will delete everything on your microSD.

I guess you just start over again and read carefully.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

FuzzyBabyDucks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm one of the guys with a n3ds which doesnt seem to boot any CFW. I used an older version of rxTools Nightlies and got a native_firm: 4 error, think it could be related?

Kaizerfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. That's all correct, in fact it needs to be run out of SysNAND. EmuNAND9 has different options to create backups of SysNAND and EmuNAND, nothing to do whether it was started from SysNAND or not. I don't even know if it's even possible to start Homebrew Launcher on top of EmuNAND.

Formatting EmuNAND formats your whole SD card, that's normal. That's also why it says to make a backup of your microSD beforehand:

I guess you just start over again and read carefully.
For some reason I thought the "format emuNAND" option would just format the partition, hence why I didn't backup. :P

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well if you don't follow my tutorial but do as you like, I can't help you. ;)

Hey, I'm one of the guys with a n3ds which doesnt seem to boot any CFW. I used an older version of rxTools Nightlies and got a native_firm: 4 error, think it could be related?
And I most certainly can't help you. It's only an assumption of mine that downgrade is still buggy. Go to the downgrade threads, there'll probably be more people that have problems.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, thanks for the input. I added a "what to do if rxtools doesn't work" section inside step 3. I added trying Nov 24 build or if that doesn't work, October 2nd build

Kaizerfreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, went through the guide for a 3rd time and it worked, so it's 2 out of 3 successes on a downgraded N3DS. Thanks again for the guide. Can I get a quick tutorial on how to backup and restore emuNAND though? Copy everything on SD card, run EMUNAND9 through HBL on sysNAND, then what? I don't recall seeing anything that says restore the emuNAND partition.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really don't think there's some kind of "success rate" for doing the tutorial. You did something wrong the first two times.

If you set up MenuHax and CtrBootManager like the tutorial tells you to do, you can start Homebrew Launcher there and start emunand9. You can of course also start it in SysNAND via Browser but that's way more work than just setting up CtrBootManager. Goto EmuNAND Manager Options and choose Backup EmuNAND to EmuNAND.bin

esareias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, just want to start off by saying thank you for the guide, it is super helpful! Only issue I have though is when I am formatting the sd card to get emunand, it doesn't actually format the card. All the files stay on the card, and it doesn't look like it shrinks at all. I have tried formatting the sd card about 3 times now and starting from scratch, but it always gets the same result at that point.

esareias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I have no clue why it isn't working. The program doesn't show up with any errors, I'll have to look for another card and report back.

*edit* sorry, I didn't want to add a new post. Would decrypt9 have a function to format the card with emunand? with Emunand9 I wasn't able to dump the sysnand but I was able to with decrypt9, could that have something to do with it?

Last edited by esareias,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can also try formatting Emunand with Gateway. In this tutorial Gateway Emunand setup is described.

*edit* sorry, I didn't want to add a new post. Would decrypt9 have a function to format the card with emunand? with Emunand9 I wasn't able to dump the sysnand but I was able to with decrypt9, could that have something to do with it?

What you CAN try is to dump it with decrypt9 and inject the dumped NAND into EmuNAND, even if you don't have one already. It's not made for that, but before emunand9 came out, I read somewhere that this is basically the same as formatting EmuNAND. But don't quote me on that, I really don't know if that works.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Don't you eat the yellow slushie.