Tutorial [Tutorial] Setting up 9.0 - 9.2 N3DS/XL for CFW, including EmuNAND, Coldboot, CIA Installer

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, formatting SysNAND? Isn't that where the firmware is stored? At what point are we formatting the SysNAND and why?
Formatting SysNAND means resetting your 3DS to factory default. You need to do that to unlink, and if you followed the guide you did that already, with TinyFormat :lol:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh and also, what I forgot, the biggest advantage of TinyFormat is that NNID-errors with EmuNAND don't happen.

If you have a NNID linked on your SysNAND, you will have to connect to the internet before it lets you reset it to factory default. It'll tell the servers that the NNID is no longer linked.
This results in the NNID not working in EmuNAND, you will have to workaround to get it working again.

TinyFormat doesn't do that, if formatting with TinyFormat, NNID stays working and no need to struggle with some workaround.

malelolula

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
  • Repeat the steps to get into Homebrew Launcher, open FBI and install the .cia of FBI. Destination needs to be SD. Now FBI is in your SysNAND.
    • This is necessary so that it gets copied over to EmuNAND in the following step. If for any reason you don't have FBI in your EmuNAND at the end, look at the Beginner's Advice at the end of the tutorial for a solution.
    • This is a N3DS tutorial, but I'll include it as it comes up again and again: If you happen to be on O3DS it's possible that you have crashes when entering the HBL a second time after Pasta was started. See this posting for a solution.

Hi, just bought new 3ds xl 3 days ago and follow your guide to use CFW, and successfully play 3ds and cia games and stuffs. But one more thing can you add "By pressing L button will switch the destination to install the FBI either on NAND or SD". I was stuck at this part and figured it out later right after i bought Gateway Card...

mepica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An emunand backup doesn't include installed software. Maybe it has the link to the soft in home menu but the actual software lies in the /nintendo 3ds folder. So unless you also had that backed up I guess you have to start over. That's why I recommend regular complete backups of the microSD with a tool like hdd raw backup, it's a 1:1 clone that can be exactly restored.

Thanks man! if I find the folder with title ID of that apps inside "Nintendo 3DS" folder and erase them could fix the problem? ("links" in emunand have been already uninstalled by FBI, sysNand & emuNand are unlinked)

zerox521

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, guys, I was wondering why the Rxtools installation guide was removed from this post? I got an O3ds on 9.2 with emunand already setup and I want to install Rxtools but I don't know how to continue after setting up emunand.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, guys, I was wondering why the Rxtools installation guide was removed from this post? I got an O3ds on 9.2 with emunand already setup and I want to install Rxtools but I don't know how to continue after setting up emunand.
Because this is not an o3ds guide and rxtools doesn't support the current emunand on n3ds. Who lacks behind is just sacrificed :D I will add it again once it supports latest emunand.

zerox521

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Because this is not an o3ds guide and rxtools doesn't support the current emunand on n3ds. Who lacks behind is just sacrificed :D I will add it again once it supports latest emunand.

Well, I guess my only option is Pasta since Rei is n3ds exclusive. Anyways, thanks for your help man. :)

philltery

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I followed everything with top attention and still got a few things wrong, not that I worry, since the end result was great.

While looking for the folder in \Nintendo 3ds which didn't have the \dbs folder inside, I noticed that inside one of the folders with the weird name (letters and numbers), instead of only one folder with another weird name, there was a second onde also with a weird name and no \dbs folder inside this second one. Still I ignored it and placed the \dbs on the one that matched best the description in the tutorial (closer to root). (I think this explanation was kind of confusing, so I'm attaching a picture )

Another thing that didn't go as expected was when pretending to change the theme so as to prepare the system for menuhax. I got a error message asking to repair the downloaded content, so I skipped this step and returned to it after the repair that was described in the tutorial and everything went smooth.

So after everything was done, when I entered emunand (cake) all my games, save data and even fbi, which I installed, were gone and although I did enough backups to restore and try again, I was so glad it was over and working that I gave up on these files, installed fbi in the health app and forgot about my save data.

Anyway, I'm just writing this so anyone who runs in a similar problem may know that it's still going to work (probably).

And if anyone has any advice of how to restore my save data from a sd backup or system dump, without having to set up emunand again, just let me know, but I'm really not worried about that.

Thank you for the tutorial.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited by philltery,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I followed everything with top attention and still got a few things wrong, not that I worry, since the end result was great.

While looking for the folder in \Nintendo 3ds which didn't have the \dbs folder inside, I noticed that inside one of the folders with the weird name (letters and numbers), instead of only one folder with another weird name, there was a second onde also with a weird name and no \dbs folder inside this second one. Still I ignored it and placed the \dbs on the one that matched best the description in the tutorial (closer to root). (I think this explanation was kind of confusing, so I'm attaching a picture )

Another thing that didn't go as expected was when pretending to change the theme so as to prepare the system for menuhax. I got a error message asking to repair the downloaded content, so I skipped this step and returned to it after the repair that was described in the tutorial and everything went smooth.

So after everything was done, when I entered emunand (cake) all my games, save data and even fbi, which I installed, were gone and although I did enough backups to restore and try again, I was so glad it was over and working that I gave up on these files, installed fbi in the health app and forgot about my save data.

Anyway, I'm just writing this so anyone who runs in a similar problem may know that it's still going to work (probably).

And if anyone has any advice of how to restore my save data from a sd backup or system dump, without having to set up emunand again, just let me know, but I'm really not worried about that.

Thank you for the tutorial.
You're right, dbs repair needs to come before theme change. Got that wrong, changed the steps to the correct order now.
I don't really know why you got two numbers/letters folders. Normally, if you restore all the files from /Nintendo 3DS backed up folder after creating Emunand, your data should be in Emunand.

Reactions: philltery

Czupax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
anyone can help me?
im update emunand to 10.5 and i have problem when try to open eshop or update games.
whats wrong?
Gy2kkqn.jpg

VashEXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey man, I appreciate how diligent you are on updating this guide. This really is the best one out there.

I set up an O3DS a couple weeks back and it's working great.

I'm getting started on my N3DS, but whenever I launch PastaCFW/MiniPasta/EmuNAND9 it takes me right back to the HBL. I was doing some searching through the thread and I found a real old post of somebody having a similar issue, but no real answer. Any idea on a fix for this?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey man, I appreciate how diligent you are on updating this guide. This really is the best one out there.

I set up an O3DS a couple weeks back and it's working great.

I'm getting started on my N3DS, but whenever I launch PastaCFW/MiniPasta/EmuNAND9 it takes me right back to the HBL. I was doing some searching through the thread and I found a real old post of somebody having a similar issue, but no real answer. Any idea on a fix for this?
I recall this being an issue with incomplete downgrades. Not entirely sure though.
anyone can help me?
im update emunand to 10.5 and i have problem when try to open eshop or update games.
whats wrong?
Gy2kkqn.jpg
That is a problem with your NNID not being linked correctly. There's a tutorial linked in faq to fix it.

soetem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I followed this closely and it's working so thank you very much for the tutorial. Noon question though.. I have many games dloaded on my 3ds, after completion everything is on my emunand but my sysnand is empty. Which makes sense since it was formatted to unlink. Just want to know if that's normal. All my official games/apps will just live on emunand from now on?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • phalk @ phalk:
    I only do anything in my life to allow me to be lazier
    +1
    Gift
  • mr_switch @ mr_switch:
    same
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    TRJ, I learned all those in school/college.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As part of some course or other.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I forgot to list Assembler, Pascal and Matlab scripting.
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    I know some pascal, c, php
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    and I'm a History teacher
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Went over the basics in all of them, never took it anywhere.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I do use bash for my job though. It's useful.
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    Assembler is something I always wanted to learn
    Gift
  • phalk @ phalk:
    but.... nah
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    No point really.
    Gift
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Even the simplest device these days runs some sort of high level language.
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Veho all the IT stuff i've learned in school has been extremely basic... i knew most of it already
    Gift
    it's better to learn on your own, it goes much faster than the snail pace they teach you at in school
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembly is actually great, gets you to run everything about 80% faster than C massaged code
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembler syntax is dead easy, but "how to put pieces together" logic requires to have in mind the original idea, and the CPU layout, and that's like double the work of C stuff. It's best to write C first, add some unit tests, then go assembly, then run the unit tests
    Gift
    it can run faster than compiled code, but modern compilers are really good at optimization and you need to be even better at assembly to do a better job
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    with that all your assembler base will actually work
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    even on embedded systems, without a damned debugger
    Gift
    syntax is easy but the code is hard to read, you can't look at a piece of code and expect to understand it without looking at all the code around it to see how it all works together so it takes much longer to read the code, it takes longer to write it too because what might be 1 line of code in C might be 20 lines of assembly
    Gift
    the language is very simple to understand (because it's barely a language at all) understanding how all the instructions work together to form a whole is another matter, in general it's such a pain to work with that i would never recommend it unless you have a need for it. don't listen to this guy and learn assembly just because you want to make your code run faster, you are wasting your time, but if you run into a situation where your code isn't fast enough even after you enabled -Ofast and you NEED it to be faster, then you can consider assembly
    Gift
    @Coto have you tried -Ofast btw? ;)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol
    Gift
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol