Tutorial  Updated

Quick load Gateway menu upon boot, and still access to Homebrew Launcher on N3DS

Since Gateway released their .3dsx file to launch the Gateway mode within the Homebrew launcher, I wanted to be able to load this by pressing the L button by using the Homemenuhax.

The problem was that I couldn't get HBL to work after replacing the boot.3dsx at the root of the card.
This small tutorial might help other people to get what I've done.

First of all, you need to have a CIA installer like FBI. If you haven't:
https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases
(Just download the latest version and grab the .3ds file and copy it to your Gateway MicroSD)

Download and install the Homebrew Launcher Loader on your EMUNAND using FBI:
https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases

If you haven't used Homebrew Launcher before, download the starter kit and copy paste it to the root of your MicroSD card (not the GW one) http://smealum.github.io/3ds/

Start the Homebrew Launcher Loader from the homescreen to see if things are working.
If it fails and gives an error message that it can't find some payload, please go to http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ and scroll down to "Otherapp/ropbin payloads" and select the correct Sysnand FW that you are on. Then click on Download otherapp.

Rename the downloaded file to the error message that has been shown on your screen.
(For example, if you're on 9.0.0-20 EUR FW, it should be renamed to: hblauncherloader_otherapp_payload_NEW-9-0-0-20-EUR.bin )
Copy this file to the root of your MicroSD card.

Download the Gateway firmware file which contians the 3dsx file.
Extract the GW.3dsx file to the root of your microSD card (not the Gateway one) and rename it to gate.3dsx

After you got into the Homebrew Launcher menu, you should see an app called menuhax_manager.
Press "A" to Install it.

Once done, Press B and exit the menuhax_manager.

Turn off your console or go into Gateway mode (from the HBL) and get access to the microSD Card.

You should now see a file in the root called something like "ropbinpayload_menuhax_EUR11272_new3ds.bin"

Use any hex editor to edit this file.
If you dont have any HEX editor yet: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm#download

Search for the string "boot" and replace it with "gate".
Save the file.

That's it!

Now you can boot up Gateway mode while pressing the L button, AND quickly easy access to the HBL from the main menu :)

If you want to exit HBL, just press the START button, and press A to restart your N3DS. Hold down the L button again while it restarts, so you will return to the Gateway mode again.

Last edited by HtheB, , Reason: Corrected a step

DaftMink

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you just install menuhax and copy GW.3dsx to the root and rename it boot.3dsx ?.
I hear it offers about the same success rate.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You could also just use CtrBootManager and set up Gateway as one of the menu entries.
Yeah, that's what I did. I don't know why people would like to limit their possibilities and only be able to boot GW at boot, and only be able to boot HBL from emuNAND instead of being able to do everything everywhere...

Reactions: DayVeeBoi

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i should try with ctrbootmanager since this method doesn't seem to work on my o3ds

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm already working on a ctrbootmanager tutorial. A lot of this is really unnecessary. You don't even need to hex edit if you use ctrbm.

Is there demand on such a tutorial? I'm pretty sure everything one needs to set up ctrbootmanager is already written in its thread. It's really not that hard to add own items, is it?

VeryCrushed

Devious Prorammer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there demand on such a tutorial? I'm pretty sure everything one needs to set up ctrbootmanager is already written in its thread. It's really not that hard to add own items, is it?
I'm throwing together a simple pack of everything needed as well. Copy & Paste with my recommended setup. Super noob friendly.

Reactions: Azel

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As for this tutorial here, I think it is merely an individual workaround for something that can be solved more elegant. Just setup ctrbootmanager with homebrew launcher and gateway launcher, it's way more convenient.

HtheB

OP
Trophies
Website
www.HtheB.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
As for this tutorial here, I think it is merely an individual workaround for something that can be solved more elegant. Just setup ctrbootmanager with homebrew launcher and gateway launcher, it's way more convenient.

As the title says, it's a direct boot, rather then booting into some boot options..
I just want a direct boot. This is just handy for people like me.

Gateway can't do MSET on 9.x (doesn't matter now), and can't play GBA and DSi cias. That's all I could think of right now.
Don't mislead people... Yes it can.... I still have MSET on my 9.X ;)

Last edited by HtheB,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, it's a direct boot, rather then booting into some boot options..

It's still easier to set up ctrbootmanager with two or three seconds countdown, and have that boot the gateway 3dsx, just like I describe it in My tutorial with rxtools. That's basically the same result but easier to set up plus you can freely modify it and add more boot entries. That's why I said ctrbootmanager is more convenient.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Don't mislead people... Yes it can.... I still have MSET on my 9.X ;)
Oh wait, I was thinking of just the O3DS lol! Sorry mate, misleading people wasn't my intention :P

Reactions: HtheB

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended