Pokemon Sun and Moon on Gateway.

I've seen a lot of questions dotted around with regards to getting Pokemon Sun/ Moon running on a Gateway 3DS, but haven't seen too many problems solve. Haven't seen any tutorials/ threads addressing the issue straight up either, though I haven't looked far hahaha

Hopefully with this tutorial you'll be able to get it working fine as it does for me. It should only take you a few minutes to complete and worked perfectly for me. Check all spoiler tags for images!

STEP 1
Create a new Folder

First off, create a folder on your desktop and call it whatever you want [fig.1a]. Then make a copy of your game for safety [fig.1b] and place your Pokemon Sun/ Moon .3ds file in that desktop folder. [fig.1c]

This folder is just for storing the tools and stuff we need temporarily.
[fig.1a] Create folder on Desktop

[fig.1b] Copy Your Game

[fig.1c] Place ROM in desktop folder

STEP 2
Update your Gateway Firmware

Next head to the gateway website and download their latest Firmware which is '4.2. BETA' Which will be listed as '3.7.2-BETA Ultra' [fig.2a], download this, as inside you'll find the GW_Ultra_4.2_BETA folder with the correct launcher.dat [fig.2b]

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads/

Put your 3DS SD card into the PC, Drag the launcher.dat from the 'GW_Ultra_4.2_BETA' zip folder onto the root of your SD Card and congratulations. Your Gateway is updated! [fig.2c]

[fig.2a] Gateway 4.2 firmware Download Link

[fig.2b] Downloaded Gateway 4.2 firmware in ZIP folder
http://s112.photobucket.com/user/mikeytaylor1998/media/fig.2b_zps5x3dfpde.png.html
[fig.2c] Gateway 4.2 BETA Update Folder

[fig.2d] launcher.dat copied to 3DS SD Card

STEP 3
Download Card1to2.exe

Download Card1to2.exe [fig.3a]and extract it to the folder you created on your desktop [fig.3b] You can download the application here from here:
https://filetrip.net/dl?deY8GQks8v
[fig.3a] Card1to2 Download Link

[fig.3b] Card1to2.exe in Desktop folder with ROM

This application converts a game from Card 1 type into Card 2 type . The difference between the two types is how the game is saved during gameplay.

That's a very simplified explanation. There's no need to go deep into the technical side of it.

STEP 4
Download Gateway ROM Patcher 1.2

Download Gateway ROM Patcher 1.2 from the link below [fig.4a] and extract it to the folder you created on the desktop. [fig.4b]
https://mega.nz/#!GUJyHCqZ!fw1WGosToTkrEFjULyR4cfdKLMTKIssgsY1EEbFFtJ4

You'll also need a Private or Public Header file to use with this application. You can find some public headers [fig.4c] in the link below:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/scene-roms-online-tutorial-for-dummies.370589/

You're more likely to get banned using one of these headers to go online, but I've always used them and never had a ban (yet!). If you don't plan on going online then you're perfectly safe. Once downloaded put your header into the same desktop folder with everything else. [fig.4d]

With all of these things downloaded, you have everything you need to create a ROM that works with Gateway! [fig.4e] Shows all required files you should have at this point.

*Your header may differ depending on which you downloaded!*
[fig.4a] Download Link for Gateway ROM Patcher

[fig.4b] Gateway ROM Patcher in Desktop Folder

[fig.4c] Public Header Downloads

[fig.4d] Header in Desktop Folder

[fig.4e] All Required Files

STEP 5
Convert the ROM from Card 1 to Card 2 type.

Open the desktop folder.
Drag the Pokemon ROM you're using onto 'Card1to2.exe' to open a command prompt. [fig.5a]
Type 1.
Press Enter.
When it's finished (it only takes a second or 2) press enter again.

Now your game is Card 2 type :)

[fig.5a] Drag ROM onto Card1to2.exe

STEP 6
Inject your new header.

The program we're about to use has a bug in it where the header isn't added to the ROM correctly, so just follow my instructions here and you'll be fine.

Load up the Gateway ROM Patcher application from the desktop folder and load your Pokemon ROM into it. Make sure that 'Rename ROM extension to ".3dz" after modification is ticked too. [fig.6a].

Select 'Import header from file' and choose the header that you downloaded. [fig.6b]

Now, This is where the bug in the program is.

A pop up box will then appear telling you that "This Chip ID is not matched to the ROM Size. Can I suggest a better Value?" . Select 'NO' [fig.6c] Then close the application using the cross in the top right.

Now you need to open up the Gateway ROM Patcher one more time. Load your Pokemon ROM and it'll ask you this question again, but this time select 'YES' [fig.6d]! Doing this patches the headers into the ROM correctly [fig.6e]. Click apply as the application tells you, then close it.

If you see your Pokemon ROM now has a .3dz extension in the desktop folder then you're set to move onto the next step! [fig.6f]

[fig.6a] Gateway ROM Patcher with Pokemon Loaded in

[fig.6b] Choose your Header

[fig.6c] Avoiding the bug by choosing the Correct Option.

[fig.6d] Reload the Gateway ROM Patcher and Select Pokemon ROM. Select YES when prompted.

[fig.6e] Successfully Patched Headers.

[Fig.6f]

STEP 7
All done!

Your ROM is ready to use on gateway!

Copy it to the Gateway Micro SD Card [fig.7a] then put it back in your Gateway Red Card.

Load your 3DS up into gateway mode, select your game and play! [fig.7b] & [fig.7c]

[fig.7a] Pokemon ROM .3dz on Gateway Micro SD Card

[fig.7b] Pokemon Sun loaded on homescreen

[fig.7c] Pokemon Sun Functioning

IMPORTANT(?) INFORMATION
This was done on an OLD 3DS

I have arm9loaderhax and Luma installed.

I have the gateway payloader set so holding down on startup, the console boots directly into gateway mode.

The system menu is updated to 11.2.

The ROM can NOT be trimmed.

Step 6 may not be necessary if you don't plan on going online. I inserted the header just in case and it worked but didn't test without inserting one so just told you guys the exact method I used and tested :)

I'm not sure if any of this info is relevant. The game may load on your Gateway with fully updated EmuNAND 11.2 without having to install a9lh and Luma. It might work on a lower EmuNAND even but I don't know Pokemon Sun/ Moon's full requirements!

FINAL HELP
If you want to set up your console exactly as mine is set up, it could take you an hour or 2 but I definitely recommend it! Below are links to the tutorials I used to get a9lh and Gateway to run alongside Luma :)

a9lh Installation Tutorial:
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

Gateway Luma Payload Tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

I hope this is helpful to any Gateway users having trouble running the game. If anything needs amending let me know :)

Also, I know that the image examples aren't fantastic, but the instructions on their own should be enough to help. Its my first written tutorial so... I tried hahaha

Also, gotta add this self promotion in at the end. Check out my signature if you enjoy video game glitches ;P

Shadiclink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Why is it necessary to convert card1 to card2? I am using gateway3ds by the way.
Card type 1 saves data on your internal sd, whereas card type 2 saves on to the gamecart itself. Since your save becomes corrupt on your internal sd, you're trying to create that save data on your cart.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the tutorial, but come to the corrupt screen. I can't delete the save because it then goes to an "error has occurred" black screen message, the one on the bottom screen with white text.

drfunkenstein2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear everyone using card1to2 when you drop the ROM into the program after it finishes are you pressing Enter again to close the program? When i used the X to close the program i got the black screen rom too.

Reactions: totorot0

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear everyone using card1to2 when you drop the ROM into the program after it finishes are you pressing Enter again to close the program? When i used the X to close the program i got the black screen rom too.

Same result, mine is the error occurred when trying to delete the corrupt save.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems like a few people have fixed this issue by closing the CMD Prompt by pressing enter as mentioned in the instructions, close the CMD Prompt screen with the Enter key to close it down, all instructions are necessary XD

Also, @drfunkenstein2k mentioned on the first page that he got it working by using the Gateway ROM Patcher 1.2 as intended. He didn't have to select NO, then reopen the program as I explain in my instructions. He just went right ahead, injected the header and answered 'YES' to the question "This Chip ID is not matched to the ROM Size. Can I suggest a better Value?"

If you have issues with black screen, try both of these things :)

bladedan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, good night, I've tried all the ways tb to do, and tb did not work, I know the method is not so complicated. If you gave it to me that I could run to post the roms already ready to run would be nice, I know there are a lot of people here who could not do these methods, there are people who are easier to do these things than others, but if they can help the guys by posting the Roms already ready, would be nice.

bladedan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have already done both methods, but the game only stays on the rescue screen, and after a freeze, and lock everything, I have already modified the memory cards for fat32, exefat and nothing, as I mentioned before, if someone can post the roms already Would be of great help to all.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've seen a lot of questions dotted around with regards to getting Pokemon Sun/ Moon running on a Gateway 3DS, but haven't seen too many problems solve. Haven't seen any tutorials/ threads addressing the issue straight up either, though I haven't looked far hahaha

Hopefully with this tutorial you'll be able to get it working fine as it does for me. It should only take you a few minutes to complete and worked perfectly for me. Check all spoiler tags for images!

STEP 1
Create a new Folder

First off, create a folder on your desktop and call it whatever you want [fig.1a]. Then make a copy of your game for safety [fig.1b] and place your Pokemon Sun/ Moon .3ds file in that desktop folder. [fig.1c]

This folder is just for storing the tools and stuff we need temporarily.
[fig.1a] Create folder on Desktop

[fig.1b] Copy Your Game

[fig.1c] Place ROM in desktop folder

STEP 2
Update your Gateway Firmware

Next head to the gateway website and download their latest Firmware which is '4.2. BETA' Which will be listed as '3.7.2-BETA Ultra' [fig.2a], download this, as inside you'll find the GW_Ultra_4.2_BETA folder with the correct launcher.dat [fig.2b]

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/downloads/

Put your 3DS SD card into the PC, Drag the launcher.dat from the 'GW_Ultra_4.2_BETA' zip folder onto the root of your SD Card and congratulations. Your Gateway is updated! [fig.2c]

[fig.2a] Gateway 4.2 firmware Download Link

[fig.2b] Downloaded Gateway 4.2 firmware in ZIP folder
http://s112.photobucket.com/user/mikeytaylor1998/media/fig.2b_zps5x3dfpde.png.html
[fig.2c] Gateway 4.2 BETA Update Folder

[fig.2d] launcher.dat copied to 3DS SD Card

STEP 3
Download Card1to2.exe

Download Card1to2.exe [fig.3a]and extract it to the folder you created on your desktop [fig.3b] You can download the application here from here:
https://filetrip.net/dl?deY8GQks8v
[fig.3a] Card1to2 Download Link

[fig.3b] Card1to2.exe in Desktop folder with ROM

This application converts a game from Card 1 type into Card 2 type . The difference between the two types is how the game is saved during gameplay.

That's a very simplified explanation. There's no need to go deep into the technical side of it.

STEP 4
Download Gateway ROM Patcher 1.2

Download Gateway ROM Patcher 1.2 from the link below [fig.4a] and extract it to the folder you created on the desktop. [fig.4b]
https://mega.nz/#!GUJyHCqZ!fw1WGosToTkrEFjULyR4cfdKLMTKIssgsY1EEbFFtJ4

You'll also need a Private or Public Header file to use with this application. You can find some public headers [fig.4c] in the link below:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/scene-roms-online-tutorial-for-dummies.370589/

You're more likely to get banned using one of these headers to go online, but I've always used them and never had a ban (yet!). If you don't plan on going online then you're perfectly safe. Once downloaded put your header into the same desktop folder with everything else. [fig.4d]

With all of these things downloaded, you have everything you need to create a ROM that works with Gateway! [fig.4e] Shows all required files you should have at this point.

*Your header may differ depending on which you downloaded!*
[fig.4a] Download Link for Gateway ROM Patcher

[fig.4b] Gateway ROM Patcher in Desktop Folder

[fig.4c] Public Header Downloads

[fig.4d] Header in Desktop Folder

[fig.4e] All Required Files

STEP 5

Open the desktop folder.
Drag the Pokemon ROM you're using onto 'Card1to2.exe' to open a command prompt. [fig.5a]
Type 1.
Press Enter.

[fig.5a] Drag ROM onto Card1to2.exe

STEP 6
Inject your new header.

The program we're about to use has a bug in it where the header isn't added to the ROM correctly, so just follow my instructions here and you'll be fine.

Load up the Gateway ROM Patcher application from the desktop folder and load your Pokemon ROM into it. Make sure that 'Rename ROM extension to ".3dz" after modification is ticked too. [fig.6a].

Select 'Import header from file' and choose the header that you downloaded. [fig.6b]

Now, This is where the bug in the program is.

A pop up box will then appear telling you that "This Chip ID is not matched to the ROM Size. Can I suggest a better Value?" . Select 'NO' [fig.6c] Then close the application using the cross in the top right.

Now you need to open up the Gateway ROM Patcher one more time. Load your Pokemon ROM and it'll ask you this question again, but this time select 'YES' [fig.6d]! Doing this patches the headers into the ROM correctly [fig.6e]. Click apply as the application tells you, then close it.

If you see your Pokemon ROM now has a .3dz extension in the desktop folder then you're set to move onto the next step! [fig.6f]

[fig.6a] Gateway ROM Patcher with Pokemon Loaded in

[fig.6b] Choose your Header

[fig.6c] Avoiding the bug by choosing the Correct Option.

[fig.6d] Reload the Gateway ROM Patcher and Select Pokemon ROM. Select YES when prompted.

[fig.6e] Successfully Patched Headers.

[Fig.6f]

STEP 7
All done!

Your ROM is ready to use on gateway!

Copy it to the Gateway Micro SD Card [fig.7a] then put it back in your Gateway Red Card.

Load your 3DS up into gateway mode, select your game and play! [fig.7b] & [fig.7c]

[fig.7a] Pokemon ROM .3dz on Gateway Micro SD Card

[fig.7b] Pokemon Sun loaded on homescreen

[fig.7c] Pokemon Sun Functioning

IMPORTANT(?) INFORMATION
This was done on an OLD 3DS

I have arm9loaderhax and Luma installed.

I have the gateway payloader set so holding down on startup, the console boots directly into gateway mode.

The system menu is updated to 11.2.

The ROM can NOT be trimmed.

Step 6 may not be necessary if you don't plan on going online. I inserted the header just in case and it worked but didn't test without inserting one so just told you guys the exact method I used and tested :)

I'm not sure if any of this info is relevant. The game may load on your Gateway with fully updated EmuNAND 11.2 without having to install a9lh and Luma. It might work on a lower EmuNAND even but I don't know Pokemon Sun/ Moon's full requirements!

FINAL HELP
If you want to set up your console exactly as mine is set up, it could take you an hour or 2 but I definitely recommend it! Below are links to the tutorials I used to get a9lh and Gateway to run alongside Luma :)

a9lh Installation Tutorial:
https://plailect.github.io/Guide/

Gateway Luma Payload Tutorial:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

I hope this is helpful to any Gateway users having trouble running the game. If anything needs amending let me know :)

Also, I know that the image examples aren't fantastic, but the instructions on their own should be enough to help. Its my first written tutorial so... I tried hahaha

Also, gotta add this self promotion in at the end. Check out my signature if you enjoy video game glitches ;P
I've never experienced that bug in Gateway ROM Patcher. I just click "Yes" on the prompt then click "Apply" and online works just fine.

Also, it is possible to trim the game, I made a modified version of card1to2.py for exactly that purpose. The only thing is that it's a python script so using it is a bit more complicated (but not a lot) but if anyone wants it I can post it here.
The main problem with trimming it using regular trimming tools is that those tools don't leave room for the save, though there is a tool called card2romtrimtool that might also work.

Why is it necessary to convert card1 to card2? I am using gateway3ds by the way.
Far as I can tell, it's because Gateway uses a 512KB save chip and S/M needs a 1MB save.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For those asking where the ROM can be found, or asking for the ROM to be uploaded for direct download please don't. It's against the forum rules!
I've never experienced that bug in Gateway ROM Patcher. I just click "Yes" on the prompt then click "Apply" and online works just fine.

Also, it is possible to trim the game, I made a modified version of card1to2.py for exactly that purpose. The only thing is that it's a python script so using it is a bit more complicated (but not a lot) but if anyone wants it I can post it here.
You're the second person who mentioned that there's no bug in the ROM Patcher, so maybe there isn't. For me, it was just something I'd read and was a precaution I took to make sure that no one was effected by it if it did exist :) I did it myself and it still works perfectly, so although it adds 10 seconds to the overall process it's just a way to cover for it XD

And that's good news. I've never been any good with Python stuff... Only just managed to use PadPyGHT to show controller inputs hahaha

Impzor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When I try and load the rom into the gateway patcher it says its not recognised. I've used two different roms (both the EU and US version) and neither of them seem to work.

Any ideas?

Banzaibug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just one quick question.

I know I have to use 1card2 because of savegame. But:

If I do not intend to go online do I have to use the rom patcher too? What for then?

Tyvm

P.S. I use Gatewaycard

Shadiclink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Just one quick question.

I know I have to use 1card2 because of savegame. But:

If I do not intend to go online do I have to use the rom patcher too? What for then?

Tyvm

P.S. I use Gatewaycard
No, it's not necessary that you use the gateway rom patcher, if you don't intend to go online that is.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I did all the steps correctly but I get the game save error. I did use a rom splitter since I'm fat32 and was attempting to avoid wiping the card due to reloading it would take a couple of hours. Splitting the Rom shouldn't be an issue right?

Dawn_of_Dark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this is a tutorial to help using retail copies of Pokemon Sun and Moon on the Gateway? Or is this for otherwise-obtained copies of the game?

Tsumi

Trophies
XP
Country

Open the desktop folder.
Type 1.
Press Enter.

Anyone with a black screen or error just only follow the Convert the ROM from Card 1 to Card 2 type, I scraped the Inject Header, the Gateway ROM Patcher part then put it straight to my micro sd card and it worked fine for me! I hope this helps some of you guys, good luck :D

Last edited by Tsumi,

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I did all the steps correctly but I get the game save error. I did use a rom splitter since I'm fat32 and was attempting to avoid wiping the card due to reloading it would take a couple of hours. Splitting the Rom shouldn't be an issue right?
I'm not 100% sure on the Splitting of ROMs, I've heard rumours that Trimmed Sun/ Moon ROMs don't work but I guess it's different so I'm not sure if I'm honest sorry!
Gateway unsurprisingly stole your tutorial
Really? Can you link me to it? I didn't realise it was that much of a help hahaha I don't mind, I just wanna see! :)
I'm not sure if this is a tutorial to help using retail copies of Pokemon Sun and Moon on the Gateway? Or is this for otherwise-obtained copies of the game?
it's for Retail copies/ Retail RIPs. At least, that's what I used!
Anyone with a black screen or error just only follow the Convert the ROM from Card 1 to Card 2 type, I scraped the Inject Header, the Gateway ROM Patcher part then put it straight to my micro sd card and it worked fine for me! I hope this helps some of you guys, good luck :D
It's true that you shouldn't have to use the ROM Patcher to get the game working. I just included it as a failsafe as this is the exact process I used to get it working. Thanks for the info though! :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: