Tutorial  Updated

Play with your Gamecube Controller in your 3DS (without hardmod)

Note: You can use any controller, but this tutorial will only describe the steps to do it with a gamecube controller + official gamecube controller adapter. Anyway, only the first step is related with the controller. The other steps are the same for every controller.

Special thanks to Stary2001 and @KazoWAR for this awesome tool.

Requirements:
Recomended:
Steps:
1. Install the driver of the Official gamecube controller adapter in your pc (there's a lot of tutorials on the internet, so please google) and run it.
2. Configure Xpadder (It's pretty easy with a noob-proof GUI). Remember the keys you choose for each button.

Now you have to choose an option

NTR CFW (recommended - better compatibility )
3. In your 3DS install InputRedirectionNTR.cia.
4. Run NTR CFW, press X+Y and select "Enable Debugger"
5. Run the installed CIA.

Homebrew Launcher (not recommended - worse compatibility)
3. In your 3DS install InputProc.cia and put the 3ds folder in the root of your sd card In
4. Run The Homebrew Launcher and launch input_loader.
5. Press start and then x to return to the home menu

6. Now in your PC, go to the PC Client and open InputRedirection NTR.exe (InputRedirection .exe if you chose the HBL option)
7. Press F1 to set your 3DS IP address (use wireless network watcher or ftpbrony to know it) and then ESC
8. Press F2 to set the key for each button of your 3ds (you can use Xpadder to remember what keys you used for the gamecube controller). To do it, first you have to press the pre-selected key, and then press the new key for each button. Once you're ready press ESC.
9. Test the controls (also, you can press F4 to show debug information).
10. Enjoy

Proof:

Last edited by Intronaut,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm gonna have to try this with BetterDS3 and my PS3 gamepad. If Xbox360 controller works, it should be no problem. This is really good for two main reasons. Using a real full size controller is so much better than the cramped controls of the 3DS, and also, for people who don't own a n3DS, and want to experiment super stable 3D, it won't get any better than this. Put the 3DS on a stand on the table, and don't touch it. 3D will be very stable while you play.

Reactions: Sliter

SolMeiLei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This works pretty good on o3DS, some input lag, but it's playable. Good job!

(I just wished in worked on Smash...)

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awkpn5d.png
try to delete config.cfg and try again.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That files doesnt exist.
hmm I am not sure... maybe try running as admin, it does try to write a config file for storing settings. if it still doesn't work. make sure you have 6 files and 3 folders total in he PC client folder. and... if still a no go. maybe get the source and try to do some debugging? see what line it crashes at.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hmm I am not sure... maybe try running as admin, it does try to write a config file for storing settings. if it still doesn't work. make sure you have 6 files and 3 folders total in he PC client folder. and... if still a no go. maybe get the source and try to do some debugging? see what line it crashes at.
Runing as admin didnt work
j8tZilA.png

Joao_Shino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'd suggest you add about pressing F4 on your guide. Having some kind of feedback from the program is always nice :)
This won't work with GBA/DS games or with games that use extra processing like Smash or MonHun4 (at least on Old 3ds, and I only really tested Smash)
It feels lagless if your connection is ok.
And it works fine on Linux with Mono!

Edit: Too much info in one post but one more thing: you can also check your 3ds' IP easly using FTPBrony!

Last edited by Joao_Shino,

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah, don't know if I did something wrong, but after opening the program on my PC, my 3DS goes crazy with its controls, even when I'm not touching anything.
I am able to control a bit of it, but I can't seem to calm it down, lol.
Even after I close the program, my 3DS is still going apeshit.

funtuna464

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea what I did wrong, but when I run the PC program, the buttons/joystick don't work. I set my IP to my IPv4 address (the address that showed up on Wireless Network Watcher), configured the buttons correctly, and nothing happened. on my 3DS beforehand, I installed the CIA, opened up homebrew, and ran the 3DSX, and went back to the Home Menu (not restarting).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade...