1. ThatBenderGuy

ThatBenderGuy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm having this same issue on my N3DSXL. Power light turns on for a second then turns off

2. Zannier

Zannier Newbie
    Newcomer

Is it ok if my computer already has the SD card reader?

3. Turbinetester

Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So I soldered the four motherboard connections today and I've included pictures below. By far the soldering was the easiest part. Those ribbon connectors are one serious PITA. My question is where am I supposed to route the wires and mount the connector? I had a pretty hard time getting the motherboard to lay back flat with the two wires from the NAND going under the board towards the cartridge slot. I soldered to the alternate CLK and the ground wire, so those two are above the motherboard. I ended up having to slightly trim some of the plastic ribs. I tested the unit and it turns on fine. So where do i put all the wires and the connector to make his a clean looking install and hidden under the battery cover?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. suter12318

suter12318 Newbie
    Newcomer

Is there alt DAT0? or is there way to hardmod without using DAT0?
    I have N3DS.

Last edited by suter12318, Sep 25, 2016
  5. cravas

cravas GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Portugal
    You can follow this:
    0bdaad5deec8256bb39048d833b2fd47.jpg
    If you want to keep the wires as you have them, route them as the Red line. The butt conector will be above the battery on that spot with the red rectangle.

You can also pass the DAT0, CMD and GND below the board (Orange line and Green line)

Also, I've seen one pic of someone who put the butt conector where the Blue rectangle is (facing the bottom of the console and below the back plate but don't remember where. I think it was on the list of hardmodders)

Choose the best for you.

Not that is known or mentioned on here.

You can do the hardmod with the wire connected to DAT1 and do the frankenSD accordingly but I don't think it will work.
    Try it and see if you get a Reading.

Can I ask you why you want to do that? (Although I can only assume that you screwed your DAT0 pad)

6. Ninelpienel

Ninelpienel Newbie
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    Which sd card adapter is the best for the New 3DS XL? I think the adapter from Anker doesn't work.

Last edited by Ninelpienel, Sep 26, 2016
  7. Turbinetester

Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I have my connector concealed inside the rear cover. When I connect my franken SD Card to the motherboard connections and power on, all works as expected. When I connect it to the Anker reader I get a boot rom error screen, but instead of the 0200 errorthat I have seen posted commonly in this thread, I get 0022. Any suggestions as to why that might be happening? I haven't tried to read the NAND yet. Should I just try anyway? Device still plays fine, played OOT last night.

Last edited by Turbinetester, Sep 27, 2016
  8. CoolAlpha

CoolAlpha GBAtemp Regular

Can somebody recommend me a good tip for hard modding the 3ds?
    I have a hakko like soldering iron, time ago I bought this tip but I don't know if the quality of it is good enough.
    Also, any good flux to recommend?
    Thank you!

9. Reem__

Reem__ Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Can i downgrade the new 3ds xl 11.1.0-34 fw with this tutorial?

10. Turbinetester

Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I had the same problem when I initially got it back together. Blue light, 2 seconds, then pop and off. Turned out to be a loose, two conductor, ribbon cable on the "easy access" side of the mobo. Check the cables.

11. Turbinetester

Turbinetester Member
    Newcomer

United States
    While I have not achieved a successful hard mood as of yet but I have completed the soldering. For me the easiest tip to use was not the pointed tip, rather the smallest chisel tip in my arsenal. For size, imagine a typical wooden pencil sharpened to a fine point, then swipe it gently across the page 1-2 times. I don't know what size this is, as it came in an assortment pack I purchased from Amazon. That's the size of the chisel I used. For me, it was far easier to control the amount of heat delivered and solder applied. I was not comfortable with the fine point tip. They usually require using the side of the tip to deliver more heat if you need it, and increases the likelihood of accidentally touching another component in the board with the point, while your attempting to apply solder to the target pad with the side, potentially. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Turbinetester, Sep 28, 2016
    CoolAlpha likes this.
  12. CoolAlpha

CoolAlpha GBAtemp Regular

Yes, you need first to downgrade the native firmware with hardmod, then use a game card to access the HBC (oot3dhax or stickerhax, browserhax has been patched atm)

13. ThatBenderGuy

United States
    What do you mean "easy access" side? I have checked all my ribbon cables and they are all connected. There are a few thin ones where the latch doesn't snap shut or open. I'm talking about these ones

Photo Sep 28, 5 33 06 PM.png

Are you talking about the 3 that go in the top-right of my image? (Where the L button would be)

Last edited by ThatBenderGuy, Sep 29, 2016
  14. Kriogenic

Kriogenic Member
    Newcomer

Hi guys I just did this hardmod on a N3DS XL and have come across an issue I was hoping I could get some help with.

The issue is when I plug the reader into my PC win32diskimager will freeze trying to look for a device and even windows disk management will freeze until the frankenSd is removed then both respond as normal again.

I plug the FrankenSD into my reader which is StarTech FCREADMICRO3 which in previous pages is confirmed to work with N3DS XL but seems it hasn't been updated on main post and turn on the 3DS, I get the bootrom error screen with error 200. I then proceed to plug the reader into my PC which is when the freezing happens.

I haven't tried anything to fix it before posting this but will try the common fixes for issues now (Shortening my wires and\or using a smaller gauge wire) while people hopefully give other advice.

EDIT: It turns out it was my wire length, they were roughly 12CM in length, I trimmed them down to be fairly short and worked a treat.

Thanks,
    Kriogenic.

Last edited by Kriogenic, Sep 29, 2016
  15. ThatBenderGuy

United States
    I just can't for the life of me figure out which ribbon cable is not properly connected. For the 3 Over by L button are the 2 on the bottom is their gold plating supposed to be facing away from the board?

16. marine5422

marine5422 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Last edited by marine5422, Sep 29, 2016
  17. Gentlemanboy

Gentlemanboy Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    All sata sd readers will work with this?

Like this one:
    [​IMG]

Thanks.

18. Reem__

Reem__ Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Do you i have to use the micro sd card reader in this tutorial, or
    i can just use the laptop sd reader?

19. Kriogenic

Kriogenic Member
    Newcomer

Is this a question you really need to ask?
    1. **microSD Card Reader: NOTE: ONLY CERTAIN TYPES OF READERS WILL WORK. MORE INFORMATION ON THIS BELOW.
    it is mentioned in ne requirements... that yes you DO have to use any of the readers provided in the list or with the same chipset as the ones in the list.
    If you had to ask this question. I would send your console off to be hardmodded.

If your not willing to read and follow steps EXACTLY then you shouldn't be doing this.

20. Gentlemanboy

Gentlemanboy Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    My main reader isnt working anymore, I tested my internal one with my o3ds, but idk if it will work with other models, so I was trying to confirm with you guys if an internal sd reader is different of those usb ones you know... Sorry if was wrong to ask.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [TUTORIAL], Friendly], Dumping