1. Resset

Resset Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Can somebody tell me what could possibly go wrong?
    I have done hardmod correctly (after many solder rework), also made good franked sd card. The only problem was the reader not detecting the NAND. The console was working until the console immediately switched off and after that it's dead. No response from button switch, it charges the battery correctly but after recharging the console is still dead.

Is the NAND could be fried after many unsuccessful attempts of connecting it to PC?

2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3
    Banned

what's your sd card reader? is it on supported?
    also the addaptor?

3. Resset

Resset Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    SD Reader is the Transcend P8-RDP8K and adapter is from toshiba micros card.

4. Davidosky99

Banned

is it on the recommended list?
    if it's not then get another

5. Resset

Resset Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Okay buuuut... The console is dead :D No blue light at all! Also the reader is on recommended list.

6. Davidosky99

Banned

so you might have short circuited... :/

7. Resset

Resset Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Funny that it was working good. Then suddenly it died. It switched off and nothing. Dead. Completely dead.

8. dude22072

dude22072 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, I see the picture shows solder points for DAT1 and DAT2, but it doesn't say to connect them. Is their any reason they should/shouldn't be connected to the SD card DAT1 and DAT2?

9. mudassirul

mudassirul GBAtemp Fan

Word is you get faster read write speeds but they're not essential and is less likely you mess something up if you do the minimal

10. tempest.nano

tempest.nano Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I managed to rip the solder pad off for DAT3/Card Detect on my o3DS. Can I just short DAT3 to ground and get a slow 1-bit connection (just dat0)?

11. SmellyPirateMonkey

SmellyPirateMonkey GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm curious as to how you guys installed your hard mod? I'm thinking about getting a mini dremel to make it look pro but 80 bucks is a little pricey for me right now. Especially if I don't really need it for this.

I do have a needle file set so I could just use my old soldering iron to make a hole then file it down until it looks decent.

Also the guide says you can use a hot glue gun or super glue. I'm thinking hot glue gun would be better but I have to buy one first. I do have super glue but it seems to me that would just leak everywhere and not hold the connector very firmly.

Anyone got any advice? I want to do this as pro as possible and this is my first attempt to hard mod anything. Would really appreciate some wisdom from someone more knowledgeable with this sort of thing

12. TheToaster

OP TheToaster Kishore Gowrishankar

United States
    Hot glue guns are much better. Super glue may be used as an alternative, but it may get messy

13. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

The N3DS XL pinout picture is differnt from my N3DS XL RED-C1, I labelled these after comparing both pictures, please correct me I got anything wrong.
    [​IMG]

14. lewishack

lewishack Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So I just bricked my N3DSXL last night, was in the process of downgrading to 2.1.0 for accessing the OTP on the RedNAND. Was a little unclear on instructions, ended up downgrading on the SysNAND instead of on the RedNAND. Pretty stupid rookie mistake, i know. But I'm moving forward with the hard mod.

I have several SysNAND.bin backups on my computer (mac, however I can port windows parallels if necessary) and I was wondering if the SysNAND.bin file is what I would ultimately be writing back onto the 3DS after I hard mod it, or if I need to alter the file in any way before writing it through the SD card reader and frankencard adapter.

Thanks for the guide!

15. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

Yeah just write your SysNAND also ain't you meant to downgrade a normal EmuNAND then un brick it in OTP helper then write it to SysNAND

16. lewishack

lewishack Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I don't think so according to the guide I was using. Part 4, Section II, #8-11.

Where I went wrong was I opened PlaiSysUpdater on the homebrew launcher from SysNAND. I realize now I was probably supposed to boot into CakesFW to get on the RedNAND, then use FBI and run PlaiSysUpdater from within the RedNAND. That part could have been made more clear in my opinion, I mean obviously step 8 said I should be in the RedNAND, however I was so used to using the homebrew launcher from SysNAND that I didn't realize FBI basically does the same thing as far as installing goes.

Glad I have a SysNAND backup so I can fix this!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by lewishack, Apr 20, 2016
  17. TariqSoftDev

TariqSoftDev ~Zexceil

If you can wait for me to pop out and back in about 2 hours , ill guide you through it step by step, I have a N3DS XL A9LH downgraded it many times never bricked it.

18. lewishack

lewishack Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'll definitely let you know if I have questions, I'm working on getting the things together to get the hard mod started, but once that's complete and I get back to the A9LH install I'll be in touch!

19. Makoto0729

Makoto0729 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So, question! I have a nand.bin and a bricked 3DS. Using this tutorial I can make another backup (and it sounds like it saves it as a .IMG file), but is restoring my nand.bin as simple as clicking "write" rather than "read" on Win32DiskImager? And if not, what else is required? Do I need to rename it to nand.img or run it through any other program or anything?

Last edited by Makoto0729, Apr 21, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [TUTORIAL], Friendly], Dumping