Tutorial [TUTORIAL] [Noob-Friendly] NAND Dumping 2DS/3DS/3DS XL/N3DS/N3DS XL!

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've check the cable and I believe you're right. The cable/connecter seems to be damaged. (please have a look at my picture below and let me know if you agree.)

In the meanwhile I desoldered my hardmod wires to make sure I wasn't making any short circuit. That wasn't a good idee since my N3DSXL isn't booting anymore. The blue power led turn on for a few seconds and then turn off while making a click/pop noise. Did I "brick" my N3DSXL?
That’s a BSoD...you may be fucked now...
@TurdPooCharger knows those better than I do. Though, I would recommend, check to see that you haven’t bridged any of the contacts you’re soldering to.

And the cable doesn't look too bad...show me a picture of the connector, up close, please.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've check the cable and I believe you're right. The cable/connecter seems to be damaged. (please have a look at my picture below and let me know if you agree.)

In the meanwhile I desoldered my hardmod wires to make sure I wasn't making any short circuit. That wasn't a good idee since my N3DSXL isn't booting anymore. The blue power led turn on for a few seconds and then turn off while making a click/pop noise. Did I "brick" my N3DSXL?

Your two left leads for the connector looks split. Try a connectivity test with a multimeter if there are end points past the leads. Might not be able to find them and may have to use a needle to scratch open tiny exposures on the cable. Use clear tape to patch it if you go this route .

Another possibility of cursor spazzing is the touch screen digitizer (worry about this one later, focus on the circle pad first).

@SirNapkin1334, I'm not familiar with hardmod-type bricks except that it has blue screens.

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

Hovel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That’s a BSoD...you may be fucked now...
@TurdPooCharger knows those better than I do. Though, I would recommend, check to see that you haven’t bridged any of the contacts you’re soldering to.

And the cable doesn't look too bad...show me a picture of the connector, up close, please.

I can't take pictures any closer, but if you zoom in on the picture you can see a crack/tear in the connector.

I've attached pictures of the connector. To me it seems fine. Please let me know if you see some out of the ordinary.

IMG_2597.jpg IMG_2598.jpg IMG_2599.jpg

It's not a BSOD, those are sometimes fixable.

You might've blown a fuse, or it might just be done.

How can I check this? I read something about a selfcheck that failes if you hear the popping/clicking noise a few minutes after you power on.

Your two left leads for the connector looks split. Try a connectivity test with a multimeter if there are end points past the leads. Might not be able to find them and may have to use a needle to scratch open tiny exposures on the cable. Use clear tape to patch it if you go this route .

Another possibility of cursor spazzing is the touch screen digitizer (worry about this one later, focus on the circle pad first).

If I can fix the "not powering on" part, I will just order a new circlepad with cable for 10 euro B-)
@SirNapkin1334, I'm not familiar with hardmod-type bricks except that it has blue screens.

Any idea what I could be? I'm ignoring the touch screen digitzer because it sounds complicated :rolleyes:

ps. Thank you guys a lot for helping me this far! I didn't expect this many response. :bow:

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't take pictures any closer, but if you zoom in on the picture you can see a crack/tear in the connector.

I've attached pictures of the connector. To me it seems fine. Please let me know if you see some out of the ordinary.

View attachment 136222 View attachment 136223 View attachment 136224

How can I check this? I read something about a selfcheck that failes if you hear the popping/clicking noise a few minutes after you power on.

Any idea what I could be? I'm ignoring the touch screen digitzer because it sounds complicated :rolleyes:

ps. Thank you guys a lot for helping me this far! I didn't expect this many response. :bow:
When you insert the ribbon cable, you close the ZIF all the way? It should have a soft click. Apply some pressure.

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country

That popping sounds like a ribbon isn't plugged in right. Disconnect all the big ribbons and connect them again, be sure that they're fully inserted

PierceSutton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I just finished wiring an sd card to my 3ds' internal memory. I skipped the instructions where it told me to install some butt connectors. When I turn on the 3ds I get the blue screen saying bootrom error. I dont quite understand how this mod works with nothing connected to the wires. If someone could please enlighten me on the works that would be great.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I should also probably mention that when I remove the sd card attachment it still gives me the blue screen.

PierceSutton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I think I found the problem, when I started the mod I was going to attempt to put the clk wire on the small square but then it came off while i was putting back together. I notice that the top right square has come off. If I put a dab of solder on those 4 (now 3) squares will it fix the problem?

heres the pinout to show you the clk point i was soldering a wire to.

Attachments

• pinout.png
    pinout.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 263

Mikemk

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it would be cheaper to buy a new one than repair a lifted pad. And it's beyond what humans are capable of by hand.

You could try scrubbing off the solder mask and running a conductive ink pen between the traces. Might work might not

Gluzifer

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have included picture, I pulled it from internet archive. I have also uploaded it to imgur but I can't post hyperlinks thus I have split it i. imgur. [com]/ hvjgkL3.jpg
I don't think that's the one for the N3dsXL and N3ds. I included the picture I found for N3dsXL and N3ds (they appear to have the same layout) in an internet archive.
Appears to correspond to the pinout of an SD/MicroSD adapter (second picture).
mmc_adapter.jpg
SDpinout.jpg

[EDIT]
The layout shown in the picture i found in one of the archives does not work with what I found on the Wikipedia page for SD-cards. Maybe it was wrong and that's why it got removed?
I'm however unsure if there has been a comment regarding this before (because I didn't read all of them (which are a lot of them (is there a way to search the comments?))).

It seems like there are some error coeds if some of the wires are connected wrong. As linked in the original post (wont let me post links)

Last edited by Gluzifer,

zacchi4k

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@TheToaster
As for the GL3233, since it's not in the compatible controllers list, a few years ago I used an adapter with that controller to hardmod my O3DS and it worked. I would test it on my N3DS with the Toshiba NAND, but I'm too scared because I would surely break it :P
P_20170217_161818.jpg

Last edited by zacchi4k,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheToaster
As for the GL3233, since it's not in the compatible controllers list, a few years ago I used an adapter with that controller to hardmod my O3DS and it worked. I would test it on my N3DS with the Toshiba NAND, but I'm too scared because I would surely break it :P
View attachment 142497
How did you get those rad blue buttons!?

aldighieri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I did a very good cable on my n3dsxl, and than i see that i need a specific SD Reader, wtf, its better buy a compatible R4. HAhaha, omg i cant believe, next time ill read the full tutorial first.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName:
    EDOSTORY Adjustable Dumbbell Set, 44LB/66LB/88LB Free Weights Dumbbells ,4 in 1 Set Barbell, Dumbbell, Kettlebell and Push-ups, Non-slip Handles, Push up, Fitness Home Gym for Men Women https://a.co/d/bE2hsOR Neat might order
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    certainly looks interesting
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    only 22lbs total tho - how much can you really exercise with that?
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    I'm a pretty weak guy and even I use 50lb on each side for dumbbell bench and 30lb for each arm with dumbbell curl
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    imo without at least a 30lbs dumbbell you won't get a lot of use out of em - and these max out at like 10lbs for each arm
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    oh I see you actually get to pick which set you want - so you could buy the 88 lb one
    Gift
    Didn't notice in the title it says 44LB/66LB/88LB
    Gift
    I really want to start lifting again
    Gift
    Gym memberships here are like $40 a month so in like years worth of time I'd have enough just to buy a nice in home set
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    that's true, gyms are expensive.
    Gift
    I'd rather just have my own equipment instead of not knowing whose sweaty balls were on it
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    kenny I'm very concerned now that you may not be working out properly
    Gift
    My life isn't proper
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    first of all, there should be exactly zero reasons to place your sweaty balls on any of the equipment - generally you are supposed to wear clothing at the gym
    Gift
    You aren't going to the right gym if you need to wear clothes
    Gift
    Ball sweat drops down like normal sweat if your balls are always dry I'd recommend a doctor
    Gift
    We're talking about exercise balls of course
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    what to do if I am a doctor
    Gift
    Re-read WebMD articles
    Gift
    I got myself a cheapo steering wheel cover here's to hoping the sun doesn't burn my finger tips over hot steering wheels
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    I have never experienced that
    Gift
  • x65943 @ x65943:
    just where do you live mate
    Gift
    Midwest weathers been like 90 all week
    Gift
    We don't have garage parking areas at the apartment either so my car bakes in the sun
    Gift
    Midwest weather is so bipolar in the summer
    Gift
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: Midwest weather is so bipolar in the summer