[Tutorial] MOVING (& Modifying) Existing Villagers - Animal Crossing GC (NTSC)

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by KhaderWelaye, Oct 22, 2016.

1. KhaderWelaye
    OP

KhaderWelaye GBAtemp Fan

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    Background: Modifying existing villagers in Animal Crossing has been partially documented in different places by different people using different methods. MOVING an existing villager from one place to another has not been documented at all, and is something that will be necessary if you plan on mapping your own town with custom acres. Otherwise you end up designing your town around existing villagers, which is no fun.

What we're doing: We are going to learn how to change EVERY aspect of an existing villager. The villager themselves, their attitudes, catch-phrases, shirts, and the catalyst for this guide, their house location. The letters that villagers have received can also be edited, but won't be included in this guide since I'm still researching this.

Why: I created a new Animal Crossing town, hated the layout, and decided I wanted to design my own. I went through and designed my own town map from scratch, and went through each acre cleaning things up and moving things around as necessary. When a villager's house ended up in a pond due to my map layout, I had two choices: re-do my town layout around the villager, or figure out how to change a villager's location properly since no one else had done so.

What you will need:
    • Dolphin (Running with Debug flags enabled) OR a GameCube with Action Replay / GeckoOS / Swiss-GC (Some type of cheat system)
    • A Homebrew enabled Wii or GameCube, if you want to copy an existing save file to/from Dolphin. Use the tool GCMM to accomplish this.
    • Patience
    Most of this stuff can be done without Dolphin on a real GameCube, but Animal Crossing hacking is easier with a debugger since you can verify what values you are looking up and changing a little easier. My recommendation would be to do your hacking in Dolphin, and then transfer your finished Save File to a real GameCube afterwards if you desire.

Steps:
    1. Backup your save file, and set your Dolphin Memory Card to Read-Only while you experiment. When you start the game and a Villager, "Gets the town ready for you", it's actually going through a save process, so if you have a Villager modifier cheat code turned on, whether you were ready or not, that code has been implemented into your town!

2. Install the latest version of Dolphin, and enable Debug Mode by adding the -d flag to the shortcut:
      Dolphin Shortcut Properties Screenshot
    3. Villagers are numbered 1 through 15. To find the number for the Villager you want to edit, begin writting a letter, and burn down the list of Villagers until you find the one you want to edit. For example, if they are the 4th option down, they are the 4th Villager.
      Villager Numbering Example
    4. Build your Villager modification code! I've included templates below outlining what each line of code does, with explanations on finding the values you need in following steps:
      Villager Modification Code Templates
    5. Here are some lists with various IDs, and how to find the values you'll need.
      ID Lists
      Finding/Calculating Values
    At this point, you should have gotten all the values necessary to build your code! Here's an example code:
    Example Code
    Based on the example code, you'll see that Bob's house is now in Acre C-2 where we specified! You'll notice that you won't be able to enter the house at first, but after you save and quit and reload the game without the cheat code, all will work as normal!

If you're in Dolphin, you can just turn the cheat code off after your town loads by going to Tools -> Cheat Manager -> Click Apply after you disable the cheat. This will take effect immediately.
    Screenshots of the brand-new Bob!

So that's all I really have! I've tried to be thorough, but I'm sure that I've missed something or explained something incorrectly, so feel free to post questions and I'll try to answer them.

FFFF Item IDs surround houses placed by the game to prevent digging, however these aren't moved with the code templates listed above. It's not necessary for you to manually place these around your new house, but you may want to go view the Memory in Dolphin in the area where the original house was and replace any leftover FFFF values with 0000, otherwise you will have trouble digging in those areas (Your shovel clanging off invisible objects). I've not tested the concept of not surrounding your houses with FFFF, but the possibility exists that the game might spawn buried items beneath the houses that you can't get to if you don't surround your houses with FFFF items.

FFF
    FHF
    SFF

F = FFFF
    H = House Item
    S = Sign Item

Lingering Thoughts

Last edited by KhaderWelaye, Oct 25, 2016
    0xBAAA likes this.
  2. KhaderWelaye
    OP

KhaderWelaye GBAtemp Fan

Mar 31, 2012
    United States
    Acre Internal Address Points
    Acre Row A
    Acre Row B
    Acre Row C
    Acre Row D
    Acre Row E
    Acre Row F

0xBAAA likes this.
  3. 0xBAAA

0xBAAA Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2017
    United States
    Thank you for the tutorial, but I have a question.
    If I have to specify where a villager lives in order to have their house icon appear on the map, what do I have to do show edited acres on the map as well?
    For example, the map showing Bobs new location you posted also reflects the acres you edited. What address(es) would I need to change to do the same, or am I missing something here?