Tutorial  Updated

Installing custom themes in vWii

EDIT: This guide is much better to use: https://demo.hedgedoc.org/s/2mYWv0YvK#
No reason to use my guide now that this exists.

Thanks to diddy81 for his custom themes and tools, it's possible to install custom themes on vWii! This wasn't originally possible by normal means, but thanks to this script you can easily inject a theme straight to your vWii. I take no credit for anything in this tutorial, I am simply projecting his work into a tutorial you can follow. His original post is HERE
You just need wupclient, Mocha CFW, and diddy81's themes & tools.

1) Download diddy81's script HERE
2) Extract the NTSC or PAL folder depending on your region
3) Download the latest wupclient from FIX94 HERE
4) Open the zip, browse to wupclient, extract wupclient.py and place it in the NTSC or PAL folder
5) Boot up Homebrew Launcher through either haxchi or browser, and choose Mocha CFW. It should reboot to home menu but with wupserver enabled
6) On your computer, open wupclient.py in a notepad. Scroll down until you see a line with an IP address, that looks like 192.168.1.50. Delete this and add your Wiiu's IP. Then save and close it
7) Install Python if you haven't already
8) Run the file called BackupxxxApp.py with Python, and it will automatically do all the work for you to download your vWii's .app file. It will take a while to finish
Note: Backup this .app file somewhere safe, in case you want to revert back to the original theme or want to use a different custom theme

9) Once it's done, download diddy81's ThemeMii Mod HERE and extract it to your computer
10) Download the theme of your choice from diddy81's thread HERE (Be sure it's your region and for 4.3!!!)
11) Open ThemeMii.exe and go to File>Open and choose the .mym theme file you downloaded in step 10
12) Click on "Convert to .csm" and choose the .app file we extracted earlier from your vWii on step 8
13) Save it as theme.csm and place it in the NTSC or PAL folder depending on what you have
14) With your Wiiu still on, run "Injectxxxtheme.py" and it will automatically inject the theme file for you. This will take much longer to inject, be patient (You may get an error at the end. Ignore this, it succeeded)
15) Once it's done injecting, launch vWii as usual and your theme should be there!

I thought it would brick
Yes through the normal conventional way of installing from Homebrew Channel using the homebrew app. But this injects the theme directly to vWii without being in vWii via IOSUhax. I tested it myself and got a red theme going in my vWii.

This is an alternate method for custom themes that works.

Last edited by MattKimura,

HugaTheFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes through the normal conventional way of installing from Homebrew Channel using the homebrew app. But this injects the theme directly to vWii without being in vWii via IOSUhax. I tested it myself and got a red theme going in my vWii.

This is an alternate method for custom themes.
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully, I brought u more company. I posted a link to this thread in my wii u tutorials thread on psx place. it's a playstation website, but I know of several people there who dabble in multiple gaming systems outside of the playstation brand.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hopefully, I brought u more company. I posted a link to this thread in my wii u tutorials thread on psx place. it's a playstation website, but I know of several people there who dabble in multiple gaming systems outside of the playstation brand.
Thanks man, I appreciate the support these past days. You know a lot about this, even more than I do : p
I made this guide ages ago but it was just on one site so I decided to bring it here. It's seriously thanks to Diddy81, this would not be possible at all or at least not known. As soon as he made the script and I tried it, I made the tutorial asap. You can do this without his script and you can manually replace the files yourself. But the script is fool proof and does exactly what you need. I didn't backup my original .app file but ah well Im staying on a custom theme for good. I'm using the red one but I kinda regret it since it has the ring effect when you hover over channels. The black blue one is my fav.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a script myself. I don't know if it's the same one as in your tutorial. I did backup my original .app file. the .app file needed differs by region, so I only know that 0000001f.app is for the USA. I can't remember its location though. I guess I could just look in the script. :P I plan on staying on a theme as well. I'm using the blue theme. my wii has a black theme, but it's not the same one as on the virtual wii. I also have a different splash screen on there. I did try to add a theme to redNAND before knowing that the virtual wii doesn't work on redNAND. I got a system files r corrupt message when I tried, so I just transferred the original file back. works perfectly on sysNAND though. :)

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a script myself. I don't know if it's the same one as in your tutorial. I did backup my original .app file. the .app file needed differs by region, so I only know that 0000001f.app is for the USA. I can't remember its location though. I guess I could just look in the script. :P I plan on staying on a theme as well. I'm using the blue theme. my wii has a black theme, but it's not the same one as on the virtual wii. I also have a different splash screen on there. I did try to add a theme to redNAND before knowing that the virtual wii doesn't work on redNAND. I got a system files r corrupt message when I tried, so I just transferred the original file back. works perfectly on sysNAND though. :)
I'm glad we now live in the days where rednand isn't needed anymore and everyone just uses sysnand. THere was such a huge war of debate whether or not it was safe to stay without it. Now look, nobody ever bricks unless they use CBHC incorrectly. And that's somehting optional to ever use. I myself use it and love it.
When it comes to vWii themes, I kinda think its pointless since I use HBL2HBC to boot directly into Wiiflow from Wii U mode. I never see my home menu at all!

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad we now live in the days where rednand isn't needed anymore and everyone just uses sysnand. THere was such a huge war of debate whether or not it was safe to stay without it. Now look, nobody ever bricks unless they use CBHC incorrectly. And that's somehting optional to ever use. I myself use it and love it.
When it comes to vWii themes, I kinda think its pointless since I use HBL2HBC to boot directly into Wiiflow from Wii U mode. I never see my home menu at all!

indeed. I've read about redNANDs randomly becoming corrupted. I still have redNAND on my sd card which I used with mocha in cbhc. afaik, it's still perfectly fine. I actually installed all of the same games to both redNAND and sysNAND using system config tool. I'm sure wup installer is this way, but whenever u have a failed install in system config tool, it will roll back the install. I think it verifies the structure of the files before installing them though, so if something is wrong, it usually errors immediately. I've been using cbhc for many months, and I've encountered no issues with it. :) I have 265 or so games installed with 76 of them having been purchased legitimately. aside from Paper Mario and Zelda, I really don't care about the games I didn't purchase. I bought most of the good games on my own. :P

Reactions: MattKimura

BUGBRO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii

This is an alternate method for custom themes.
This unbrick my vwii

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, the size of the original file (USA version 0000001f.app) is: 6,344 KBs. the modded, "blue" one (checked and backed up recently from the above location) is 9,577 KBs (modded on top of the original file).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr