Tutorial [Tutorial] How to run YouTube videos through the WiiU browser (after dropped support)

pleasehelpme2

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah got it.
It's one of those game-centric wiki pages like Bulbapedia and such.
Exactly. I really like these super in depth wikis, it's fun to click random page and just see where it takes you. Pikipedia also has a fandon version that's being discontinued in september. I recommend that you at least give it a read if you care about the pikmin series, it's also quite fun to just go through and read what people have written.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

NinStar

Nin★
Trophies
Website
ninstars.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know about the Xbox One and Nintendo Switch versions, but on PS4 it is possible to open YouTube without having to close any game or other application (the same for the Netflix app), it is very practical when you are stuck in a puzzle or want to to know how to platinize a game but you don’t have a cell phone nearby, just go to YouTube and go back to the game.

If I'm not mistaken, xbox one received this kind of feature after an update, but as I don't have one I can't say for sure. but for the switch, you can't do that.

I am still able to watch youtube videos just fine through the app, it even show me all the latest videos on my subscriptions. I'm still waiting for them to cut the connection or whatever they're doing, but its been almost a month and still nothing. I'm beginning to wonder if it'll happen at all? guess I'm fourtnate.

I think you got it wrong, the discussion is about accessing youtube through the web browser, so far YouTube has said nothing about discontinuing the app, it still works normally and don't need any workaround.

Reactions: Moon164

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you got it wrong, the discussion is about accessing youtube through the web browser, so far YouTube has said nothing about discontinuing the app, it still works normally and don't need any workaround.

My appologies, I had posted this because it was to my understanding that Youtube was cutting off support to the Wii U, am I wrong? if so that wonderful news to me lol :D

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My appologies, I had posted this because it was to my understanding that Youtube was cutting off support to the Wii U, am I wrong? if so that wonderful news to me lol :D
The YouTube app on Wii U is still working.
Although, the app is pretty much abandoned tbh.
It's not as good as other YouTube apps for like mobile or Android boxes, and it's prone to crash often.

That's why I always preferred using the browser, besides also having the option to continue browsing on the pad while the video plays in the TV.

NinStar

Nin★
Trophies
Website
ninstars.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Just coming here to say that now (for some reason) it is possible to watch youtube videos through the browser with the default user agent, you still have to use the mobile url (https://m.youtube.com/?persist_app=1&app=m) but you don't need to change your browser settings every time you open it.

I'm not sure if this is just happening to me, I'm currently using a different wii u since my previous one broke, so if someone else could confirm this work on their wii u it would be great.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just coming here to say that now (for some reason) it is possible to watch youtube videos through the browser with the default user agent, you still have to use the mobile url (https://m.youtube.com/?persist_app=1&app=m) but you don't need to change your browser settings every time you open it.

I'm not sure if this is just happening to me, I'm currently using a different wii u since my previous one broke, so if someone else could confirm this work on their wii u it would be great.
I forgot to mention that here some days ago.
Videos started working for me again as well under the default WiiU user agent, as long as we are using the mobile version of YouTube.

Weird why it works now.
The only drawback I encountered is that somewhat long videos (1 hour+ or stream VODs) open up as mere audio, but changing to Android user agent for those works.

Reactions: Moon164

huma_dawii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that here some days ago.
Videos started working for me again as well under the default WiiU user agent, as long as we are using the mobile version of YouTube.

Weird why it works now.
The only drawback I encountered is that somewhat long videos (1 hour+ or stream VODs) open up as mere audio, but changing to Android user agent for those works.

Good update, i didnt know about that!

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: thursday has to be the most useless day of the week