Tutorial How to play PS1 games on New 3ds ~50-60fps!

Did this tutorial help you?

• Total voters

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ive successfully downloaded it and had it run crash bandicoot and parappa, but they run slow, i tried multiple bios files in the core, but when i go to play a game in the bottom left corner it says " no playstation bios folder, add for better compatability" is there something im missing?
Make sure it's called scph1001.bin. Put it in a folder called system found under cores. Maybe you've changed the folder where bioses are supposed to be found?

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive successfully downloaded it and had it run crash bandicoot and parappa, but they run slow, i tried multiple bios files in the core, but when i go to play a game in the bottom left corner it says " no playstation bios folder, add for better compatability" is there something im missing?
Welcome to GBAtemp!
Have you tried setting the directories?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
any game i throw at this just crashes the system or it crashes back to homemenu.
I got a bios file in system folder, use .pbp games and turned off audio resampling.
using latest nightly core.

it's hard to see, but the last thing i see on the bottom screen before it bails out is something about screen sample rate and the number 4000something

any ideas? is it the bios?

Greenbuds420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even realize this was possible until finding this thread.
So cool to be playing PS1 on my 3DS.
Is there a list of game that work/don't work somewhere?

Fierfek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I could really use some help here. I just want to play SotN on my New 2DS XL, no idea why it's giving me so many problems when I've seen people saying it works perfectly.

I'm using the latest stable version, installed the CIA, found a BIOS online (though I have no clue how that works tbh), but SotN is running like garbage. Audio stutters a ton, frames dropping everywhere, etc.

I've tested a forwarder CIA for SotN before, and it worked well, so I know my device can run the game.

I have no clue what to do here, could somebody help? I want both video and audio to work.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey, I could really use some help here. I just want to play SotN on my New 2DS XL, no idea why it's giving me so many problems when I've seen people saying it works perfectly.

I'm using the latest stable version, installed the CIA, found a BIOS online (though I have no clue how that works tbh), but SotN is running like garbage. Audio stutters a ton, frames dropping everywhere, etc.

I've tested a forwarder CIA for SotN before, and it worked well, so I know my device can run the game.

I have no clue what to do here, could somebody help? I want both video and audio to work.
There are general settings you should have set. First off vsync should be off in video tab of settings.
Make sure you're compressing to pbp or chd right, if not it might be fine now to just use normal .bin/.cue format.

rolenks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone check if mega man legends works through this method? ive been trying some methods to attempt to play it but its all for naught as when i made it a cia through another converter it never got pasted the loading screen after the capcom logo. if anyone could check i would be very happy

C410C354R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Believe or not, I managed to run this emulator on my Old Nintendo 3ds XL ( not New) and the framerate is pretty acceptable...

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Believe or not, I managed to run this emulator on my Old Nintendo 3ds XL ( not New) and the framerate is pretty acceptable...
Even if that's the case to where it runs ok you are still missing 2 extra buttons and a 2nd control stick unless you use a circle pad pro. Actually i don't even know if retroarch for 3ds supports the circle pad pro.

Reactions: C410C354R

C410C354R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Even if that's the case to where it runs ok you are still missing 2 extra buttons and a 2nd control stick unless you use a circle pad pro. Actually i don't even know if retroarch for 3ds supports the circle pad pro.
I think there are some games that doesn't require these buttons and this control stick , they're optional or something.

Reactions: cvskid

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I've tested a few games now and changing frameskip from 0 makes them all a lot worse. I think 0 means "skip as many frames as needed" rather than "don't skip any frames". Disabling "audio resampler" in the driver settings makes sound seem normal most of the time.

Most video sequences are a bit slow. I'd prefer videos to be rendered at a lower resolution rather than slowed down. Is there an option for that? Some games are too slow throughout to enjoy, while others slow down at certain points.

I haven't figured out how to get the circle pad to work yet - think I might need to make a remap file.

fizdog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I got everything Installed. Didn't use a bios as post said it's built in. Tried mortal kombat trilogy said no bios. All startup screens are slow. Get to the menu to start game it's fine. Play a game it's fine until you win a round then it's a little slow again. Didn't do audio settings per the op as I read right past it. Definitely will have to get a bios and do audio settings. Other than that great tutorial.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can i play on touch screen? my top screen is broken
The emulator uses top screen to play the game. The bottom screen is for the retroarch info about the emulator. Unless there's a way I do know

Last edited by fizdog,

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe it's possible to switch top and bottom screen in retroarch. let me check

EDIT: not possible in retroarch. i was thinking of standalone emulators like mgba.

Last edited by enderer,

fizdog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to add bios? I added one to the cores system folder. Still says there is none and in options, under use bios there's only auto and hle. Edit: the bios worked for another game I have. Loaded the ps1 startup and everything.

Last edited by fizdog,

GhostWolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious how well this thread aged, since rearmed got significant improvements recently and the thread is a tad old, should I still be referencing it or are there better ways to min max ps1 performance these days? I'm also curious, is it better to run the "cores" that RetroArch creates for the home menu on a 3DS, like click the home menu cores directly, or can I just open RetroArch itself and then load the core that way? Is there any difference or do both just load RetroArch? I'm kinda confused why it makes those cores on the home menu tbh.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm just curious how well this thread aged, since rearmed got significant improvements recently and the thread is a tad old, should I still be referencing it or are there better ways to min max ps1 performance these days? I'm also curious, is it better to run the "cores" that RetroArch creates for the home menu on a 3DS, like click the home menu cores directly, or can I just open RetroArch itself and then load the core that way? Is there any difference or do both just load RetroArch? I'm kinda confused why it makes those cores on the home menu tbh.
Just asking, is the difference in performance much different with these recent improvements?

GhostWolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just asking, is the difference in performance much different with these recent improvements?
My dilemma in answering this is that I never tried ps1 on 3DS before the recent updates, so I can't compare it at all. I've heard that it was significant though for what that's worth. I'm not even sure what date this big update came at tbh, I just googled around and youtubed for random 3DS homebrew info and discovered that apparently they made a lot of progress out of nowhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse