Tutorial  Updated

How to play online pirated games with freeShop (11.8)

I don't know if this method is safe or not, but i tried it and i'm still not banned.

1 - If you already have the pirated game, just uninstall and copy the files of it via System Settings or other apps like JKSV.

2 - Start the download in Sleep Mode of the game you want on freeShop.

Do not complete the download!

3 - Then, go to the Nintendo eShop and search the title of the game you want.

If something like "Redownload" appears on the bottom screen, you can continue.

4 - Stop the Sleep Mode download from freeShop.

5 - Search the game up on the Nintendo eShop again and start the "Redownload" in any way you want (Download Later or Download Now)

Wait for the game to download.

6 - If you completed Step 1, when you try to open up the game, it will ask you to "inject" the save files again. Just DO IT.

And...that's it. I hope you find this guide helpful. If you notice any grammar errors, english is not my native language.
As of today, i'm still not banned.

There are alot of tutorials to play pirated games online, but i think this is just the most simple one.

Last edited by synkI,
Reactions: sweis12 and Hmed

MAXLEMPIRA

Legends are Made from True Stories...
Trophies
Website
maxlempira.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Nintendo's new checks won't apply if you don't use their CDN. Installing via .cia doesn't use their CDN.
This answer is more accurate than the other, thanks xP

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo's new checks won't apply if you don't use their CDN. Installing via .cia doesn't use their CDN.
OK, then any game installed before 11.8 don't have any problem, right? It will apply only on games downloaded on 11.8? Or going online with any game already installed via eShop - false ticket will be a risk of getting banned?

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
OK, then any game installed before 11.8 don't have any problem, right? It will apply only on games downloaded on 11.8? Or going online with any game already installed via eShop - false ticket will be a risk of getting banned?

Checks only occur at install time. You can obviously get banned anyway, but using a false ticket to download from their CDN on 11.8 will be a red flag.

Lots of misinformation in this thread about what you can/can't do in 11.8, so I'm going to (try) to set the record straight.

The change that's being discussed is a change in the NIM module on the 3DS. NIM is the service which is responsible for downloading applications through the Nintendo CDN; it's the service which is used by the eShop to download and install games. Before 11.8, NIM only sent the titlekey to the CDN in order to verify that the download was allowed. Think of titlekeys as a sort of password for the CDN - if you had the right titlekey, you could always download the game. This is also why you could download games on a computer - there was no console specific information sent and thus the CDN didn't check what was downloading. As long as you sent the titlekey, the CDN sent the game.

Before we talk about the change, let's make sure we all understand what a ticket is. A ticket is a piece of data that's stored on your 3DS that is used by the 3DS OS to determine which games you own. The ticket consists of three main parts - the signature data, console specific data, and the titlekey. The entire ticket is signed by Nintendo, so it's impossible to replicate these tickets. If they're changed, or if someone tries to make their own ticket, the changed/new ticket will have an invalid signature. This means the ticket is what we call an invalid ticket. Before 11.8, only the 3DS console checked the signature of the ticket. This is why you need CFW to install CIAs - the ticket's signature is invalid, and the CFW patches out the signature check the 3DS would otherwise do. Up until 11.8, this solution worked fine, as there were no server side checks of the ticket.

This changed in 11.8, as NIM was updated to send two new headers whenever a download request is made to the Nintendo CDN. These two new headers are X-authentication-key and X-authentication-data. X-authentication data is the ticket installed on the console (encrypted), and X-authentication-key is the AES key used to encrypt the X-authentication-data field. The CDN then decrypts the data field and checks the signature of the ticket. Since the ticket was made by freeshop rather than by Nintendo, it fails the signature check and the CDN refuses to send the file. A brave member on the Nintendo Homebrew discord installed one of these invalid tickets and attempted to download from the eShop, which would've worked fine on 11.7, and confirmed that it broke on 11.8 and that Nintendo was now verifying tickets:
unknown.png

As of right now, CDN downloaders on computers and piracy apps like freeShop still work (with the exception of sleep mode downloads). This is because these downloaders don't send anything in the X-authentication-data and X-authentication-key fields. Currently, the CDN only refuses the download if the data in those fields is invalid. However, Nintendo frequently waits a week or two to impose new restrictions on the server. Once they require these two fields, all CDN downloaders will break permanently, as they are unable to supply proper X-authentication-key and X-authentication-data fields.

Nintendo can't stop CIAs that are dumped or downloaded from other sources than the CDN (yet), but 11.8 shows they do still care about piracy on the 3DS and are taking strides to stop it.

As for updates, they have their own tickets, and the eShop will happily provide valid tickets as long as the console has the title installed, so nothing in 11.8 will stop you from updating pirated applications.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: NFates

BhenBen_85

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Just use eShop to download updates.

too bad, my games are all in USA games because , here in the Philippines they dont sell EU games, and my 3DS was purchased in EU is there a way to update out of region games?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just a note, version does not / won't change anything here. This is a server-side change and so any attempts to download titles without a valid signed ticket will soon be blocked.

Villain3DS is not working also, I tried downloading today but It wont start.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
too bad, my games are all in USA games because , here in the Philippines they dont sell EU games, and my 3DS was purchased in EU is there a way to update out of region games?
Look for the update .cia file out there. You could even request it on that iso site, as it's free and anyone can do it for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche