Hacking TUTORIAL: how-to play "NDSL only!" cartridges on NDS

kidkawaii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so i bought an M3DS Real package a while back and was amazed to see these tiny, half-sized cartridges that came with it. "for use with NDSL only!" they said. (i think it was the exclamation point that irked me the most..)
wasnt until quite recently i even discovered they had cartridges you can buy for 4$ that do the trick - but that means im out 4$ and i'd have to wait upwards of 2 weeks for the thing to arrive, then pay duty on it to pick it up!

so i took my 4$ to the LCBO bought a couple cans of strongbow and within an hour i had completed my task:
this is the complete idiots guide to dremel humping your NDS
(sorry about the quality of photo from my phone)

TOOLS:
*dremel
*ruler
*sandpaper/file
*pencil
*2 cans Strongbow (optional)

TIME:
25mins (approx)

STEPS:
img983-1.jpg

undo the five triwing screws on the bottom shell

img984-1.jpg

unscrew the two philips head on the battery cover & remove battery

img985-1.jpg

undo the remaining two triwing screws under the battery

img986-1.jpg

remove the bottom shell

img989-1.jpg

measure the standard cartridge against the NDSL only one.
(dont leave them like this for too long - this is how GBA cartridges are made)

img990-1.jpg

mark it with graphite. (easier to see, horrible for taking photos.)

img991-1.jpg

measure the difference. i got 9.5mm - which i could care less to figure in american standard.

img992-1.jpg

measure the distance from the bottom lip of the slot2 entrance

img993-1.jpg

*sniff* mechanical pencils were here..

NOWS about the time to finish off your first can of strongbow. cant be carrying that can around the house and managing to get together the tools you need for the next step one-handed - thats dangerous

img994-1.jpg

plastic dust is a pain in the ass....and the eye. shit itches for a couple days so wear the goggles!
(...and now you know and knowings half the battle!)

img995-1.jpg

cut off the annoying tip on the cartridge - it's a good judge of how buzzed (or drunk) you may be and youre less likely to do permanent damage to yourself (or worse yet, your NDS) if you recognize you cant even manage to cut this thing off..

DAY 2: after sleeping off the effects of alcohol, take your hung over ass downstairs and finish what you started!

img997-1.jpg

img998-1.jpg

cut inside the lines. (duh) you can always sand/file the edges to exactly where you need them and really not cost yourself too much time & labour.

img999-1.jpg

weapon of choice
tip: though this stage isnt too long - it can feel like it. i threw on some Michael Watts album and was done after 2-3 screwed&chopped songs.(how appropriate)

img999a.jpg

img999b.jpg

make sure the cartridge is edged smoothly so that it has a slightly loose fit in the NDS and nothing to catch on.
when youve completed sanding the shell bottom, reattach it to the main body.

img999c.jpg

now when you boot up the NDS [with the slot2 expansion cartridge in] it should read, "there is a DS option Pak inserted"

finish your last strongbow with pride and dont forget to recycle!

fin.

this goes out to BortzANATOR, matrix121391, playallday & FaRReR - without your appreciation for rick rolling i probably wouldnt have caved into peer pressure and taken power tools to my NDS
tongue.gif

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice tut.

I would also like to add how fricking funny it was when I read that part about, "These are how GBA games are made"

I lol'd hard.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kbs said:
I would do this but...I don't wanna ruin my DS Phat
tongue.gif

Would this work with one of the NDSL guitar hero add-ons?

doubtful ...remember there is a lip with the buttons on! that overhangs the edge of the ds see image from my review which would prevent it even reaching the slot ... cut out or not!!

back20gripso9.jpg

kidkawaii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kobykaan said:
doubtful ...remember there is a lip with the buttons on! that overhangs the edge of the ds see image from my review which would prevent it even reaching the slot ... cut out or not!!

back20gripso9.jpg
in my on going quest to prove what a useless waste the ndsl is...

my next tut: "how-to cut the lip off your 'guitar hero' for ds lite"
rolleyes.gif

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Or, you could have just removed the circuit boards and put the LITE ONLY board in a standard cart... superglue, or tape it down so it doesn't move...

why would you ever hurt such a beautiful piece of hardware! I banish you to the bloody depths of HELL!

kidkawaii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
zidane_genome said:
Or, you could have just removed the circuit boards and put the LITE ONLY board in a standard cart... superglue, or tape it down so it doesn't move...

why would you ever hurt such a beautiful piece of hardware! I banish you to the bloody depths of HELL!
you would banish me and yet you'd shove a sticky, duct-taped former game cartridge into your ds!? for shame.

i think youre pissed your ds keeps gumming up and my "proof-of-concept" project's success means that NDSL you got in your stocking belongs back on the toilet paper holder along with the other things i wipe my ass with..
biggrin.gif

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I admire your effort here but I have to agree with those who say this is far too much work to justify saving $4 and a few weeks, not to mention that the modified profile might make it more difficult to safely hold in your pocket.

kidkawaii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AXYPB said:
I admire your effort here but I have to agree with those who say this is far too much work to justify saving $4 and a few weeks, not to mention that the modified profile might make it more difficult to safely hold in your pocket.
not too sure how you mean "difficult to safely hold in your pocket" ?
all ive done is taken a 4 x 1 cm piece of plastic of the slot2. nothings exposed and the edges are smooth..?

BUT the reason i reply is to maybe explain WHY this was done.

i have a couple NDS fats and a gbaSP kicking around, so this was more a test to see if it could be done (without that cursed ndsL) than anything.

also, note the "this goes out to BortzANATOR, matrix121391, playallday & FaRReR - without your appreciation for rick rolling i probably wouldnt have caved into peer pressure and taken power tools to my NDS" at the bottom.
this was sort of a joke gone too far taken from another thread: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107570

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/T0X6JND.jpg