[Tutorial] How to play Gamecube, PS1, & N64 games from the wiiu gamepad

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Can someone help me, I tried method 3, when ever i load the homebrew channel from the installed channel on wii u it loads the vwii homebrew channel, any app i try to load shows me this "EXCEPTION (DSI) OCCURED! screen with a bunch of numbers and letters. I made sure to follow the directions properly. :unsure:

2. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    I didn't even know PS1 games were playable at all. Seems to be running pretty smooth too!

3. Lava1000

Lava1000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    United States
    keep getting a expection (DSI) Occurred! with the homebrew channel forwarder and i followed all of the steps

4. MattKimura
    OP

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    @Sonic Angel Knight @Lava1000
    Have you installed the Homebrew Channel 1.1.4 wad file within vWii? I had this Dsi exception error also, but as soon as I installed the channel in vWii it worked every time for me. Maybe you need to turn off the wiiu and turn it on fresh and try again.
    And if anything, you can use sections I and II

5. Lava1000

Lava1000 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    United States
    @MattKimura Yes i installed homebrew channel 1.4.4-1 wad to my vwii

6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I did install it, I know cause the wii channel isn't 4:3 like the old channel was, it is now 16:9. I followed the directions as stated. "Install open homebrew channel 1.1.4 on v wii" (Now i have two of them)

7. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    There's nothing more to it. Simply installing the wad in vWii, and the forwarder on wiiu with wup installer is all it takes. Then you just run the forwarder.
    It's not you, there's an unexplainable reason why this is happening. It seems like section I has a problem with certain users where it black screens. And section III has a problem where the user gets an error every time. And it varies with every Wiiu system.

8. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I am hoping that a Retro Arch based VC Inject will some day be possible with PS1 games.

9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay then, so then i guess I'm just unlucky?

Did you take a survey about it? I have the deluxe system, not sure which one you had that made it work or not. But either way, is okay, thanks for the guide though, is good to know that progress or least workarounds for wii u game pad function is progressing :)

10. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Just curious, how did you install the vwii homebrew channel? It said to use YAMM something (The link you posted wasnt available) So i looked it up. I usually install wads with multi mod manager but it doesn't work with wii motion plus? :unsure:

11. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Sorry bout that, get YAWMM from here: http://www.hacksden.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=793&d=1369548542

It shouldnt matter which wad manager you use, as long as you can install it.

12. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I guess not, the thing was that YAWMM was confusing, during the boot it asked me a bunch of question i wasn't sure how to answer about ios and what now. Usually MMM doesn't ask anything it just works. :P

So have you had problems with my issue and was it fixable or is it just very spontaneous phenomenon

13. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    this looks promising but I'm gonna wait until the bugs are worked out .....
    keep up the good work

14. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I suppose is best. I thought this was tested. Though I could be wrong. Until this homebrew channel works, i guess I'm stuck with the non wide screen version :ninja:

15. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    @Sonic Angel Knight @air2004
    Those "bugs" aren't gonna be worked out anytime soon. It's highly dependant on the system, as everyone seems to have a unique problem while others can enjoy it problem free. You never know until you try it. All three methods definitely work, just not for everyone. It's an unexplained phenomenon that nobody has looked into. I've always has an issue running a Nintendont forwarder on my wiiu menu. And running Nintendont from the HBC forwarder has been my fix. But one other user reported that HBC wasn't working for them and just black screens, meanwhile Nintendont forwarder worked for them. So we have the opposite problems but both with the same symptom (Black screen after the wii logo)

From what I know so far, you should either use sections I and II, or just section III. If I and II don't work, then section III should be the fix. Basically you can launch Nintendont/wii64/wiisxr from a forwarder. Or you can launch them from Homebrew Channel forwarder.

These methods are not by me, this is literally how you do it. The fix for blackscreen is to run vWii, exit, then run CFW and the forwarder. But this would be annoying to do and only specific users ever need to do this.

Last edited by MattKimura, Nov 13, 2017
  16. MattKimura
    OP

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    @Sonic Angel Knight
    If you have HBC installed to a USB, move it to system storage. Someone reported that as a fix to their problem. Let me know if that works for you too.

17. Jak27

Jak27 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2015
    Is there any way to use controllers other than the gamepad in wiisxr/wii64 without needing the use of a wiimote? Whenever I try not using the gamepad when launching one of the forwarders it asks me to point a wiimote, and if I choose to use the gamepad instead then no other controller works once the emulators boot up.

18. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    But does that also mean it should cause this to happen if i load the homebrew channel manually from Vwii myself? :unsure:

I tried using it from vwii myself and the problem happens. If it happens there, how can i even get it to work on wii u side of things?

19. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Mod Manager/Installer: https://github.com/FIX94/Some-YAWMM-Mod/releases
    The correct Homebrew Channel to install: https://github.com/FIX94/hbc/releases

I read your posts. Please do not respond by saying you know you are using the latest HBC because it's 16:9. That's just not an accurate thing to say. The 16:9 forwarder works with the old, closed source HBC as well.

Use the mod manager I linked and install the wad for the Homebrew Channel. When doing this, boot into vWii the normal way from the Wii U menu. Then run the Homebrew Channel and run the mod manager.

Then, when using the channel you already installed in part iii, before you do that, make sure you load up the Wii U's HomeBrew Launcher and run sign_c2w_patcher. Then run the icon for the channel created in part iii on your Wii U menu. And make sure you installed that Wii U channel to NAND, not USB storage.

20. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The homebrew channel says 1.1.4 and I said that cause it was a distinguishing feature since i had 1.1.2 version installed, the wii u system update caused it to go to a 4:3 format and the new one i did install was 16:9. Looking at both of them on the home menu would not be able to tell them apart. What makes you think I didn't install the one you linked to? I followed the directions properly as stated, and nothing is on the USB. I don't have one plugged in. :mellow: