Hacking [Tutorial] How to convert Arm9LoaderHax payloads to FIRMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long did it take the Gateway team to work properly with a9lh? I feel like it was a long time if I recall correctly, I truly don't understand why people still choose to use Gateway, but to each their own. But with the advent of B9S, I kinda have to imagine that Gateway will again take a long time to catch up.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WARNING: I am not responsible for any damage to any devices.

Anyway, so head on over to https://github.com/TuxSH/firmtool.git
Download the firmtool file
Scroll down to "Building a firmware binary from an arm9loaderhax.bin payload "
Copy the code "firmtool build test.firm -n 0x23F00000 -e 0 -D arm9loaderhax.bin -A 0x23F00000 -C NDMA"
Run that but replace the arm9loaderhax.bin with the payload of your choice
Windows users (at least on python 2.7) need to prefix commands with "python". For example, after installing the firmtool module, the command to convert gateway.bin would be:

python firmtool build test.firm -n 0x23F00000 -e 0 -D gateway.bin -A 0x23F00000 -C NDMA

Thank you @TuxSH!!!

edit: but I end up with different hashes on the resulting .firm than what is posted above. I'll have to try both real quick...

and... neither of them boot gateway from my o3ds :(

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows users (at least on python 2.7) need to prefix commands with "python". For example, after installing the firmtool module, the command to convert gateway.bin would be:

python firmtool build test.firm -n [emoji354]0000 -e 0 -D gateway.bin -A [emoji354]0000 -C NDMA

Thank you @TuxSH!!!

edit: but I end up with different hashes on the resulting .firm than what is posted above. I'll have to try both real quick...

For me on windows 10, python won't recognize as a command even after added to path. What did work was instead using firmtool.py in that command instead of python firmtool or just firmtool

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

python firmtool build test.firm -n 0x23F00000 -e 0 -D gateway.bin -A 0x23F00000 -C NDMA

Thank you @TuxSH!!!

Yeah someone here already said that Luma was converted using an .elf, not an arm9.bin. So it seems like that's how you have to convert them to get them to work. I don't think anyone has tried it yet. I would if I could find .elf files for these things, but I don't even use Gateway and my setup works perfectly fine sans my poor boot animations Lol.

Unless an end user is able to convert a universal working GW payload for B9S, anyone using it will just have to wait. I don't have confidence considering the more the community releases, the further behind GW falls. I mean they are already two firmwars behind, and now an outdated exploit and it's been a good while since 11.3 released.......

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the lazy kiddies, if you convert a chainloader (like bootctr9) to b9s, you are able to load some a9lh .bins.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me on windows 10, python won't recognize as a command even after added to path. What did work was instead using firmtool.py in that command instead of python firmtool or just firmtool
I'm on windows 10. You did something wrong. Read over the environment setup in my sig for rxtools (it applies to almost everything 3ds)

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the lazy kiddies, if you convert a chainloader (like bootctr9) to b9s, you are able to load some a9lh .bins.
Yeah but AFAIK they don't work when loading CFW .bin payloads, only homebrew payloads like D0k3 tools........ Don't most people use bootmanagers to dual boot their sig patchers?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe. To be fair i didn't even bother with the basics of restarting the pc. It was late last night and I didn't have the time to troubleshoot as I had work in the morning. Haven't looked at it yet
Well we all know electronics in general have a mind of their own Lol. Not like it's a huge deal either way if the CMD recognizes the input anyway.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well we all know electronics in general have a mind of their own Lol. Not like it's a huge deal either way if the CMD recognizes the input anyway.
I hate when people say "the computer only does what you tell it to do". As someone who works with broken computers on regular basis I'll have to say that is false.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate when people say "the computer only does what you tell it to do". As someone who works with broken computers on regular basis I'll have to say that is false.
Lol I always think it's funny when I tell people to turn it off and on again and they think I'm joking. Like no, that literally fixes 75% of problems not caused by hardware...... There is a reason that meme exists.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trust me, I didn't. I'm not some noob, I am an IT professional with experience in programming as well, and I have set up python numerous times on other computers.
So what? You are not infallible (and neither is the software or your system). I'm on Windows 10 and It works for me.

And when you do repeated tasks on multiple systems, complacency always comes around to bite you in the ass. And in this case (bragging about how "I'm a professional..." it makes you LOOK like an ass.

Last edited by urherenow,
Reactions: Zidapi

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what? You are not infallible (and neither is the software or your system). I'm on Windows 10 and It works for me.

And when you do repeated tasks on multiple systems, complacency always comes around to bite you in the ass. And in this case (bragging about how "I'm a professional..." it makes you LOOK like an ass.
Literally the only thing I need from the rxtools compiling guide is Python, and according to that guide it's as easy as installing python and adding the path to environment variables. Just triple checked and yes that is all set up properly. So unless you have some other additional steps to add, I've done everything properly on my end.
If python was not set up properly in path even my modified command of firmtool.py wouldn't work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just to see I'll try reinstalling python. Maybe it didn't install correctly somehow

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally the only thing I need from the rxtools compiling guide is Python, and according to that guide it's as easy as installing python and adding the path to environment variables. Just triple checked and yes that is all set up properly. So unless you have some other additional steps to add, I've done everything properly on my end.
If python was not set up properly in path even my modified command of firmtool.py wouldn't work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just to see I'll try reinstalling python. Maybe it didn't install correctly somehow
But it really IS that simple. If you open cmd, type "python" and hit enter, it should not say it is not a recognized command if it is in your path. It should say
Code:
Python 2.7.11 (v2.7.11:6d1b6a68f775, Dec  5 2015, 20:40:30) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

I have python 2.7.something installed to C:\Python27

Near the top of my environment, I have both "C:\Python27\" and "C:\Python27\Scripts" in my path.

is your path entry near the top or is it after a path with spaces (such as after a "Program Files" entry). Not that it SHOULD matter today, but it might. It was made to be cross platform, and *nix systems don't play nice with spaces in paths...

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it really IS that simple. If you open cmd, type "python" and hit enter, it should not say it is not a recognized command if it is in your path. It should say
Code:
Python 2.7.11 (v2.7.11:6d1b6a68f775, Dec  5 2015, 20:40:30) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

I have python 2.7.something installed to C:\Python27

Near the top of my environment, I have both "C:\Python27\" and "C:\Python27\Scripts" in my path.

is your path entry near the top or is it after a path with spaces (such as after a "Program Files" entry). Not that it SHOULD matter today, but it might. It was made to be cross platform, and *nix systems don't play nice with spaces in paths...
Just as I said, I did everything perfectly, including path. Python was just somehow borked during install. Removing and reinstalling fixed the issue. Now if you would please stop assuming I had somehow made a mistake or don't know what I'm doing that would be great. Trust me I know how to add a simple path in environment variables, I've done much more difficult CLI stuff with cisco networking devices. I'll always be first to admit I don't know what I'm doing, but something as easy as python setup is not difficult.
Just look back when iosuhax for wiiu came out. Took me ages and tons of questions to get that compiled. I'll always let people know I have no clue what I'm doing.

Oh, and saying I'm an IT professional isn't to gloat or anything close to being an ass, It's to show I actually know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over