How to change the banner of a 3ds game

One day I got bored and decided I wanted a new banner for my NINJHAX game. I did eventually complete my task with the help of a few others, and here's how you can do it!

NOTE: This has only been tried with Cubic Ninja but should work for any game.

Requirements:
- 4.x 3DS (or use the new 9.2 xorpad dumper but I personally have not tried it)
- slot0x25KeyX.bin <-- Not completely sure why I cannot provide this, but Google is your friend.
- Python 2.7

Creating the custom banner.bin
  1. Download this repo https://github.com/AlbertoSONIC/3DS_Banner_Maker
  2. Create your custom banner. Note that it has to be exactly 256x128 px
  3. Place your new banner image in the cbmd_bannerImage folder with the file name 256x128.png
  4. Run the CLEAN.bat to clean out any unnecessary files.
  5. Run BUILD.bat to build all the files.
  6. Place the newly created banner.bin in a safe place

Decrypting the rom
Here's the tricky part. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but this is the way I used and it works. Since I could never top this tutorial, here is the one I went off of:
[Tutorial] Converting .3DS to .CIA for Dummies!

Here's the options I used:
  • Do you want to slowly unpack RomFS? --> n
  • Choose rsf option type --> 1
  • Do you want firmware spoofing? --> n
  • Do you want to remove region lock? --> n
  • Do you want to insert manual? --> n (not that it really matters because we're not using the cia)
  • Then finally confirm all actions
Rebuilding the rom
  1. Download this pack and extract to desktop: makerom
  2. Gather these files from the previous step and place them in the makerom folder you just extracted.
    -custom banner.bin
    -icon.bin
    -code.bin
    -the generated rsf file
    -decrypted exheader.bin
    -decrypted romfs.bin
  3. Now it's as simple as using the GUI program. Just fill out all the paths from the files mentioned in the last step.
  4. Click the Write button to print the command to the screen
  5. Click compute to run the command for you.
If all went well, you should have a newly built rom with a custom banner. I will not go over how to run the new rom on your comsole.
If you have any issues, reply here and I'll try my best to help :)
Sources:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-converting-3ds-to-cia-for-dummies.373722/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tool-makerom-gui.376540/

Attachments

• makerom.rar
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,534

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Can someone please help me? I'm stuck at the last step, after following this tutorial, at no point is a .rsf file every generated anywhere. Because of this, the last step cannot be completed and no .cia is generated.

Further notes:
- I can't use the BUILD.bat in the first step because absolutely nothing happens when I execute it (it fails to generate any files at all). Instead, I used the GUI version to generate banner.bin and icon.bin. All programs have been run as administrator)
- I also can't use convert.bat in any of the banner or icon folders because (you guessed it) absolutely nothing happens. Windows on my machine does not like .bat files.
- I have Python 2.7 properly installed
- I have properly formatted the banner and icon files as 256x128, 48x48, and 24x24

EDIT: I was able to use makerom and bypass the past step entirely to build the .cia. Now a new problem has reared its ugly head: While the rom custom title and publisher data I wrote has been added to the .cia, after installation I discovered that the icon and banner have been changed to "3DBrew" and "DrunkenCoders" instead of the images I specified. The jingle also defaults to the Homebrew Channel music. What's wrong this time?

EDIT2: Generated .cias install and run correctly, it's just not properly using the custom images I specified for the banner and icons. I suspect that something's horribly broken during the generation of banner.bin or icon.bin.

EDIT3: 3DSExplorer detects the generated banner.bin and icon.bin files from step 1 as being corrupt. However, all other banner utilities such as ba-GUI-nnertool also fail to properly generate banner.bin files from my .pngs. What gives?

EDIT4: I deliberately inputted large and incorrectly-formatted .png files into the banner maker GUI, yet it still claims to have correctly generated banner.bin and icon.bin files. Looking at the generated files, they are the exact size as the ones generated using the correct .png files. Looks like banner.bin generation really is to blame. But with all of the programs failing on me, it doesn't look like there are any options to generate the files correctly.

EDIT4: Ohana3DS doesn't even detect the project files even though they're in the correct folder, so that's a no-go.

It appears that Python is very, very broken on my PC. Unfortunately, reinstalling it has no effect. This has occurred on almost every piece of 3DS modding tool I've used that relies on Python. Dammit. This is going to be a really long stretch, but are there any similar utilities for Mac OS X? That's the only other OS option for me right now. Otherwise, its SOL.

Last edited by NekoMichi,
Reactions: PandaPandel

pinguino1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can i solve this editing the code.bin like FMP?
sup_0000_zpse4caprek.png

P.D. Is a out-of-region gamecard, not cia

Last edited by pinguino1234,

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nXUrYTp.png

256x128.png

Can someone please make a custom banner of these on the original rom of sun and moon and upload to that iso/chaos site? Then these rom hacks can be used with a luma code.bin. I can PM you the decrypted Sun.

Neo-one

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 71936
View attachment 71937
Can someone please make a custom banner of these on the original rom of sun and moon and upload to that iso/chaos site? Then these rom hacks can be used with a luma code.bin. I can PM you the decrypted Sun.

I'm not skilled in that area, but would like to see what a decrypted banner looks like... im starting to try my luck in this area, and the rom i unpacked won't load the banner into my editor, and want one that works to try... how big is the file BTW???

wad11656

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can i solve this editing the code.bin like FMP?
sup_0000_zpse4caprek.png

P.D. Is a out-of-region gamecard, not cia

OMG did you ever figure out how to fix this?? I stumbled here while Googling a way to fix the banner for the exact same game series!! (Inazuma Eleven Go) on my foreign console (USA console playing EUR game). That shiny black box is so ugly

(Assuming you'd need to extract the .bin banner file and use the 3D banner editor: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3d-banner-tools.405205/ )

Vulpes-Vulpeos

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
OMG did you ever figure out how to fix this?? I stumbled here while Googling a way to fix the banner for the exact same game series!! (Inazuma Eleven Go) on my foreign console (USA console playing EUR game). That shiny black box is so ugly

(Assuming you'd need to extract the .bin banner file and use the 3D banner editor: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3d-banner-tools.405205/ )
This is out-of-region banner. You need to unpack .cia and replace USA banner files with EUR banner files. This and this instructions may help.

wad11656

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is out-of-region banner. You need to unpack .cia and replace USA banner files with EUR banner files. This and this instructions may help.

when I saw there was a reply I was 90% sure it was a mod whining about me necromancing so thank you lol

unfortunately the game is EUR/JP only. Otherwise i would get the USA version to match my console. So there are no USA banner files to overwrite the region free CIA’s banner files. I think that’s what you meant?

EDIT: Oh nvm, looks like your 2nd link is to your fan translation of a JP-only game with banners that work in all regions! You wizard! Hmmmmm I hope I can figure this out without knowing anything

Last edited by wad11656,

Alegria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi! I'm trying to use that to change the banner of forwarded nds games, but I have a problem already, the program says "3DS_Banner_Maker-master\data\banner.bnr" is missing
I also wonder, is it possible to associate it with a custom sound when you put your cursor on the game, like 3ds games have?
(if you want to know, I'm aiming at Okamiden, and Pokémon mystery dungeon blue/time/darkness/sky)

Last edited by Alegria,

NeoShima

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hi! I'm trying to use that to change the banner of forwarded nds games, but I have a problem already, the program says "3DS_Banner_Maker-master\data\banner.bnr" is missing
I also wonder, is it possible to associate it with a custom sound when you put your cursor on the game, like 3ds games have?
(if you want to know, I'm aiming at Okamiden, and Pokémon mystery dungeon blue/time/darkness/sky)
Having the same issue. Can't fix. Try to instal Pillow for python. Maybe it will help

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik, the banner.bnr must include a sound file. It can be a wav, not sure if it's converted with bannertool, but that's the format it expects. It can be an empty sound as well.

Alegria

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Afaik, the banner.bnr must include a sound file. It can be a wav, not sure if it's converted with bannertool, but that's the format it expects. It can be an empty sound as well.
but what's the bnr file? is it a zip that you renamed to change its extension into bnr?

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but what's the bnr file? is it a zip that you renamed to change its extension into bnr?
A (.bnr) file consists of audio, textures and metadata. You cannot extract it using ZIP archiving software, but rather you need to use "3dstool".

Here are the commands to extract/rebuild the banner:

To build (takes the files from the "output" directory and combines them into a "banner.bnr" file):
Code:
3dstool -c -t banner -f banner.bnr --banner-dir output\

To extract (extracts the contents of "banner.bnr" to the "output" directory):
Code:
3dstool -x -t banner -f banner.bnr --banner-dir output\

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs