Hacking [Tutorial]How to break the game limit on red button Sky3DS cartridges

warnings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Without using the crack tool at all, does disk writer sometimes write EEPROM as NO, or does disk writer always write EEPROM YES?

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Someone is getting a swell gift... Super Mario special edition 3DS XL

You A$$. I hetchu. Super mario special edition's all sold out in Malaysia and it's too costly to import.

Without using the crack tool at all, does disk writer sometimes write EEPROM as NO, or does disk writer always write EEPROM YES?

Sometimes no sometimes yes. but it's still considered yes because without the tool, you cannot bypass 10 game limit.

Good, easily understandable tutorial, aside from some minor hiccups with formatting. I'll sticky this for all of the first-batch Sky3DS users.

Thank you. Can you tell me the those hiccups so I can fix them and know better next time I make a tutorial thread?

donkeymilk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You A$$. I hetchu. Super mario special edition's all sold out in Malaysia and it's too costly to import.

HAHA... I'm "CoolDad"(TM), bro. It's for my 6 year old.

I'm content with my GBA micro and my EZ Flash IV so I can play NES ROMs and the occasional GBA ROM.

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
What I'm getting at maybe some games have to be YES, thus the new blue button cart.

Personally, I don't think any games have to be yes. What EEPROM is is just permanent memory used to store save files and whatnot. When we make them say EEPROM no, it will save these files and stuff to the microSD and from what we've found out save into the rom/game itself.

I think the blue button cart was released with more EEPROM memory so that more games can be saved to it. That or Sky3DS found a new exploit that forces all memory to be saved to microSD. This is what I believe to have limited the red button cart to 10 games in the first place.

It's basically like this. 1 save file is maybe 2mb~5mb in size. Let's say it's 5mb.
In that case, if the EEPROM is only 30mb in size, it can only save 6 games. If i'm not mistaken, if you try and burn more than 10 games without using this crack tool, the Sky3DS will read them but it won't be able to save their data because all the slots have been taken up by the first 10 games.

This means that the EEPROM on the red button carts have already been split evenly to support only 10 games' data. Thing is, we don't know the actual size of the EEPROM on red button carts so we can only assume this was why the 10 game limit was there in the first place.

People are assuming that Sky3DS purposely blocked and limited the carts to 10 games because they don't know how their exploit works.

We are all afraid of what we don't know.

EDIT
:
HAHA... I'm "CoolDad"(TM), bro. It's for my 6 year old.

I'm content with my GBA micro and my EZ Flash IV so I can play NES ROMs and the occasional GBA ROM.

GOD! micro's way too small. how do you manage? I'd rather emulate on a psp.

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no games has to be yes. also on your 11th yes, all 11 games that got a yes's save file will corrupt. if you have a yes rom, like say luigis mansion, just delete it, and re add it as no. and even when ass the yes ones corrupt, you will be getting the save from the no location, instead of the corrupt yes location.

also, the tool does literally nothing to allow us more then 10 games. i mean, it tells us what to change in the template, but it does not modify the rom. so arithmatics, remove making a backup rom from your steps, as its totally useless.

also, add my template, and tell them why its special.

also, the 2+ GB games are almost sure to fail. unless the TOOL is wrong. if you have them working, then the TOOL it literally wrong. in other words, the F8 00 98 string would work for all roms. i suppose its possible, but we will see...

also, arithmatics, unfortunatly, yes, you do have to manually change the individual bytes of new CTR-P blocks when they are added.

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
also, the tool does literally nothing to allow us more then 10 games. i mean, it tells us what to change in the template, but it does not modify the rom. so arithmatics, remove making a backup rom from your steps, as its totally useless.
Wait, are you sure it doesn't modify the rom? have you tested a rom that hasn't gone through the tool with a template.txt that's been modified? We'll add that to the pile.

also, add my template, and tell them why its special.
Is your template based on the 12/13/2014 one on the website? I'm afraid if I add it people will be confused and wonder which template.txt they need to use. It'll be easier if they just manually modified the roms they want until we have a clear production line of template.txt modification.

also, arithmatics, unfortunatly, yes, you do have to manually change the individual bytes of new CTR-P blocks when they are added.
So does that mean that we can't use your template.txt and just add modified new CTR-P blocks to the top of the list? we need to manually change them all as each new template.txt comes along?

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, are you sure it doesn't modify the rom? have you tested a rom that hasn't gone through the tool with a template.txt that's been modified? We'll add that to the pile.

yes, tons, over and over, i basically never use the tool. all it tells you is what to change. we will still need it for the special roms where the result needs to be something other then F8 00 98 tho, (if any of those actually exist that is)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is your template based on the 12/13/2014 one on the website? I'm afraid if I add it people will be confused and wonder which template.txt they need to use. It'll be easier if they just manually modified the roms they want until we have a clear production line of template.txt modification.

no i use the one from the 8th. don't worry, no games have come out, or will be comming out till february. its all shovel ware. we have two months to make a way to mass produce a edited template
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So does that mean that we can't use your template.txt and just add modified new CTR-P blocks to the top of the list? we need to manually change them all as each new template.txt comes along?

you can add the new blocks actually yes, but you will need to manually edit the new blocks so the 6th and eigth hex on the second row / line is F8 and 98. (the 00 in the middle is not apart of the actual save location, its just VERY commonly 00)

sorry i'm bad at quotes

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
sorry i'm bad at quotes

haha no worries. It actually looks something like this.

Let me fix yours

Code:
[quote="Arithmatics, post: 5208408, member: 155739"]
Wait, are you sure it doesn't modify the rom? have you tested a rom that hasn't gone through the tool with a template.txt that's been modified? We'll add that to the pile.[/quote]

yes, tons, over and over, i basically never use the tool. all it tells you is what to change. we will still need it for the special roms where the result needs to be something other then F8 00 98 tho, (if any of those actually exist that is)

[quote="Arithmatics, post: 5208408, member: 155739"]Is your template based on the 12/13/2014 one on the website? I'm afraid if I add it people will be confused and wonder which template.txt they need to use. It'll be easier if they just manually modified the roms they want until we have a clear production line of template.txt modification.[/quote]

no i use the one from the 8th. don't worry, no games have come out, or will be comming out till february. its all shovel ware. we have two months to make a way to mass produce a edited template

[quote="Arithmatics, post: 5208408, member: 155739"]So does that mean that we can't use your template.txt and just add modified new CTR-P blocks to the top of the list? we need to manually change them all as each new template.txt comes along?[/quote]

you can add the new blocks actually yes, but you will need to manually edit the new blocks so the 6th and eigth hex on the second row / line is F8 and 98. (the 00 in the middle is not apart of the actual save location, its just VERY commonly 00)

Is just like that over and over.

hmm. even if they're shovel ware. there could still be people who want them. It would be even more confusing because all Sky3DS did was for those who want to bypass the limit, go visit this thread. If they come here and see different template.txt and that no need to use the tool at all it would turn their brains to mush. I'll just remove the backup part

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
then you tell then the proper way, and you tell them the easier way. people are gonna want the easy modo template, as it currently supports all roms that arn't bugged via the disk writer itself as far as i'm aware.

also, tell them not to use rom scrubbers. it can cause bugs, don't do it.

also, backing up a rom of the microsd using the writing tool is bugged, very unreliable, high chance to mess up. if you delete a game, consider the saves as good as gone, and the backup feature useless.

i'm going to look more into our 'game card could not be read' bug, because i tested 1.3 now, and it also failed. i suppose i can test 1.0, but thats likly to fail as well, (and even more likly to be a horrid buggy mess) so i'll look around google and see what i can dig up on the topic.

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
then you tell then the proper way, and you tell them the easier way. people are gonna want the easy modo template, as it currently supports all roms that arn't bugged via the disk writer itself as far as i'm aware.

also, tell them not to use rom scrubbers. it can cause bugs, don't do it.

also, backing up a rom of the microsd using the writing tool is bugged, very unreliable, high chance to mess up. if you delete a game, consider the saves as good as gone, and the backup feature useless.

i'm going to look more into our 'game card could not be read' bug, because i tested 1.3 now, and it also failed. i suppose i can test 1.0, but thats likly to fail as well, (and even more likly to be a horrid buggy mess) so i'll look around google and see what i can dig up on the topic.

Alright. I'll figure that out and hopefully do that first thing tomorrow. it's 2:31am now. too bad for the timezone overlap. Goodnight. :)

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i learned, for going online, the part it uses is in the template, so if you game a bad rom, or can't find a good rom, you can change the online access by replacing the hex's with the ones of another 3ds games with working online access.

totally not what i was looking for, but interesting. back to adventure

Reactions: Arithmatics

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
i learned, for going online, the part it uses is in the template, so if you game a bad rom, or can't find a good rom, you can change the online access by replacing the hex's with the ones of another 3ds games with working online access.

totally not what i was looking for, but interesting. back to adventure

Someone needs this right now.

warnings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the blue button cart was released with more EEPROM memory so that more games can be saved to it. That or Sky3DS found a new exploit that forces all memory to be saved to microSD. This is what I believe to have limited the red button cart to 10 games in the first place.
So then why doesn't sky just make all latest templates NO EEPROM?
And if they did increase the EEPROM size...Why? when they could just update the templates as NO EEPROM.
Sorry I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. If you play by the rules and just go with 10 games using disk writer everything works great, no save issues, no looping issues.

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So then why doesn't sky just make all latest templates NO EEPROM?
That would effectively put the responsibility on them to figure out everything there is to know about the tool, and to do all the troubleshooting that is being done here. By not doing that, they can sit back and watch other people do it for them.

As much as I'm all about Hanlon's razor when it comes to the "artificial limit", I'm going to go ahead and say the fact the official website links to this thread is a sign of laziness.

Reactions: Arithmatics

warnings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That would effectively put the responsibility on them to figure out everything there is to know about the tool, and to do all the troubleshooting that is being done here. By not doing that, they can sit back and watch other people do it for them.

As much as I'm all about Hanlon's razor when it comes to the "artificial limit", I'm going to go ahead and say the fact the official website links to this thread is a sign of laziness.
All the crack tool does is tell us the CTR-P-XXXX code so we can edit the template. There's nothing to figure out.

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the crack tool does is tell us the CTR-P-XXXX code so we can edit the template. There's nothing to figure out.
I'm saying more about getting past 10 roms per MicroSD without having to hold down the button for 5 seconds or having it fail outright to play it.

Making it an "unofficial mod" makes it seem like it's not their fault it doesn't work as often as one would think. Any problems that result in using a single Sky3DS cart to play more than 10 games total could be blamed on the people that made the tool.

dawnbomb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i found out about game card cannot be read, its because something happened either during the download of the rom, or you got it from a source that was already bad. just redownload it, preferably from a new site. i tried it on two error games, and they now work perfectly. that being pokemon X and bravery default.

at this point i'm just waiting on donkeymilk's tests

in the mean time i'm gonna play don't starve together, thats in public beta now by the way, and its great fun with friends over skype.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat