Tutorial  Updated

How to add Sound Effects to Custom Themes

Greetings. I'm making this guide because I've been struggling trying to add sounds effects to my custom theme and I've found no in-dept tutorial explaining how to do so, thus I decided to write my own tutorial. I'm still fairly new to this website, and have limited knowledge on the subject, so please bear with me.

THIS GUIDE IS NOT ABOUT CREATING A THEME FROM SCRATCH. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN THEMES, READ THIS.

I. Tools
To create and add custom SFX to your themes, you'll need:
- Audacity by the Audacity Team - Create/Convert audio files
- CTR-SDK by Nintendo (Copyrighted software. You'll have to find a legal copy on your own.) - Convert .wav to .bcwav
- YATA+ by exelix11 - Add .bcwav files to existing themes

II. Getting the audio files
Currently, YATA+ allows you to import SFX for Moving Cursor; Launching App; Creating/Deleting Folders & Accept; Closing App & Back; Opening 3DS from Sleep Mode and Bottom Screen frame 1; frame 2 and frame 3. Note that you can ignore any SFX you do not want.

1. Find/Create an audio file for one of the mentioned operation.
2. Open the file with Audacity.
3. Export the file as WAV
4. Repeat all steps until you have all the SFX you want.

III. Converting .wav files to .bcwav
As mentioned previously, you'll need the official 3DS SDK to convert .wav to .bcwav . Obtaining it legally can be quite tricky and I wont't help you find a pirated copy. With some effort however, you should be able to find a copy.

1. Open CTR_SDK-x_x_x-xxxxxxxx-en with Winrar or 7zip
2. Go to CTR_SDK\tools\CommandLineTools\
3. Extract the following files to a same folder:

• ctr_WaveConverter32.exe
  • SoundFoundation.dll
  • SoundFoundation.LegacyFormats.dll
  • SoundFoundationCtr.dll
  • ToolDevelopmentKit.dll
  • WaveCodecCtr.dll
4. Open cmd
5. Type:

• "[path to extracted files]\ctr_WaveConverter32.exe" "[path to .wav file]\file.wav"
You should get:
  • [path to .wav file]\file.dspadpcm.bcwav
Example:
  • "C:\Users\Tommyco13\Desktop\Converter\ctr_WaveConverter32.exe" "C:\Users\Tommyco13\Desktop\SFX\Move Cursor.wav"
Gave me:
  • C:\Users\Tommyco13\Desktop\SFX\Move Cursor.dspadpcm.bcwav
6. Repeat step 5 for all .wav files you want to convert.

IV. Add .bcwav files to a custom theme

1. Open YATA+
2. Open the theme you want to modify.
3. Go to Edit\Create CWAVs chunk
4. Select which .bcwav file (if any) you want to play with each operation.
5. Select Import
6. Save the theme

:toot: Congratulations! You have added custom SFX to your theme! :toot:

If you have any question, suggestion, anything, feel free to post in the thread.

Last edited by Tommyco13,

Kirbyhammer7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have any tips for me? I tried to add my own, they are all .bcwav files from 32 bit float 32000Hz stereo wav files (none of which are longer than one second), but when I install the theme, it just makes my system crash (and I have to delete a system folder on the SD card to un-brick my "bricked" 3DS). What am I doing wrong? I have SFX for the Openlid, Close, Launch, and Cursor, and I ensured the SFX flag is set to "enabled". What am I doing wrong? This is very frustrating.

Reactions: Vulpes-Vulpeos

Roly32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Greetings. I'm making this guide because I've been struggling trying to add sounds effects to my custom theme and I've found no in-dept tutorial explaining how to do so, thus I decided to write my own tutorial. I'm still fairly new to this website, and have limited knowledge on the subject, so please bear with me.

THIS GUIDE IS NOT ABOUT CREATING A THEME FROM SCRATCH. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN THEMES, READ THIS.

I. Tools
To create and add custom SFX to your themes, you'll need:
- Audacity by the Audacity Team - Create/Convert audio files
- CTR-SDK by Nintendo (Copyrighted software. You'll have to find a legal copy on your own.) - Convert .wav to .bcwav
- YATA+ by exelix11 - Add .bcwav files to existing themes

II. Getting the audio files
Currently, YATA+ allows you to import SFX for Moving Cursor; Launching App; Creating/Deleting Folders & Accept; Closing App & Back; Opening 3DS from Sleep Mode and Bottom Screen frame 1; frame 2 and frame 3. Note that you can ignore any SFX you do not want.

1. Find/Create an audio file for one of the mentioned operation.
2. Open the file with Audacity.
3. Export the file as WAV
4. Repeat all steps until you have all the SFX you want.

III. Converting .wav files to .bcwav
As mentioned previously, you'll need the official 3DS SDK to convert .wav to .bcwav . Obtaining it legally can be quite tricky and I wont't help you find a pirated copy. With some effort however, you should be able to find a copy.

1. Open CTR_SDK-x_x_x-xxxxxxxx-en with Winrar or 7zip
2. Go to CTR_SDK\tools\CommandLineTools\
3. Extract the following files to a same folder:

• ctr_WaveConverter32.exe
  • SoundFoundation.dll
  • SoundFoundation.LegacyFormats.dll
  • SoundFoundationCtr.dll
  • ToolDevelopmentKit.dll
  • WaveCodecCtr.dll
4. Open cmd
5. Type:

• "[path to extracted files]\ctr_WaveConverter32.exe" "[path to .wav file]\file.wav"
You should get:
  • [path to .wav file]\file.dspadpcm.bcwav
Example:
  • "C:\Users\Tommyco13\Desktop\Converter\ctr_WaveConverter32.exe" "C:\Users\Tommyco13\Desktop\SFX\Move Cursor.wav"
Gave me:
  • C:\Users\Tommyco13\Desktop\SFX\Move Cursor.dspadpcm.bcwav
6. Repeat step 5 for all .wav files you want to convert.

IV. Add .bcwav files to a custom theme

1. Open YATA+
2. Open the theme you want to modify.
3. Go to Edit\Create CWAVs chunk
4. Select which .bcwav file (if any) you want to play with each operation.
5. Select Import
6. Save the theme

:toot: Congratulations! You have added custom SFX to your theme! :toot:

If you have any question, suggestion, anything, feel free to post in the thread.

Beautiful! Thanks a lot.

Daniel328

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't convert the the WAV files to CWAV. I have the SDK opened, but it just gives me a message prompting "acmnotpossible calling acmstreamopen." I used Audacity and converted any necessary audio files like the HZ 32000 to the respective number, 32 bit, and even changed some of the mono tracks to Stereo by duplicating one existing track and placing them together. The files are exported to WAV 32 BIT float PCM on Audacity. The sounds are about 1-2 seconds long. Did I convert something wrong or am I not following the conversion process properly? Just to reiterate I do have the SDK opened with YETA+.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free