Tutorial  Updated

Get your private header using PowerSaves

So, I've completely re-done this tutorial...
The reason for this is... the first one was kind of... Well... Half Assed
I didn't put much effort into my method and the results were kind of inconsistent.
I spent today dumping all of my games, looking for the headers and seeing what works.. Enjoy The new tut.

Also, The cheapest game available that is guaranteed to work with powersaves is Steel Diver, it is available new on amazon for very little

Requirements:
Powersaves 3DS
A Game Cartridge*
HxD (Freeware)

* Disclaimer (Important)
  • If your game, once inserted into powersaves acts like it has been removed and placed back into the powersaves dongle (Constantly refreshing the save list and displaying unsupported game) THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH THAT GAME
  • By following this method you WILL LOSE YOUR SAVEGAME for the all the rom's you apply your header to, the only way to keep them is to use NTR CFW and the savedata plugin to backup the save beforehand, and then to restore it after you have applied your header. (alternatively you could use savedatafilter if you have a 4.X cfw compatible console)
Methods:
There are two methods I've found, one seems easier but the other seems more reliable
(The methods are now in the spoilers below this sentence)

Powersaves Steps

Step 1. Navigate to /USERNAME/Powersaves3DS and MOVE all of the .bin files to another folder
zqy4bTR.gif

Step 2. Open powersaves and create a savegame backup of the cartridge you want the unique ID from.
YVZdiC6.gif

Step 3. Close powersaves, then open powersaves, then minimize it. (Yes this necessary, and the powersaves dongle and cart must remain plugged in while doing so)
Qi9saX3.gif

HxD Steps
Step 1.
Open HxD, Press Shift+Ctrl+R and open the ram for PowerSaves3DS.exe
Step 2. Press Ctrl+F and search for "gbatemp).bin"
Step 3. Look in the hex byte area for 00 00 00 88
Your unique ID will be the 16 hex bytes after that and has 48 FF bytes after it. (Like This)

Here's the gif for the hxd steps:
Z7oRJIK.gif

The header may not be in the same place as mine, could be above or a little below... in every instance that I've seen it has been in view of the .bin file we searched
It ALWAYS has 88 Before it, and 48 FF bytes after

Once you have your unique header info you can use it for your backups.
Also, you should probably move your saves back to the powersaves folder

Troubleshooting:

Cant Find 00 00 00 88:
The header may not be in the same place as mine, could be above or a little below... in every instance that I've seen it has been in view of the .bin file we searched
It ALWAYS has 88 Before it, and 48 FF bytes after

Things to try:
Try a different computer, some users were unable to locate their header on their PC, they tried with a family members PC and it magically worked.

There are rare instances where it does not start with 00 00 00 88 it will start with something random like 00 57 A5 88
But ALWAYS 88 and followed by 16 FF bytes

DarkFlare69 - Mario Kart 7
iamBlux - SuperSmash Bros. (USA)
xjoelx - Pokemon Y
Osmosis
xile6
juggernaut911 - Steel Diver
Also, This time I made a video instead of using .gif's

Steps:
Insert Game Cart into Powersaves dongle
2. Open powersaves
3. Open HxD
4. Press Shift+Ctrl+R
5. Double Click "PowerSaves3DS.exe"
6. Press Ctrl+F and search For the text string
Code:
name="Id"; filename="id.bin"
7-1. In the hex byte window (on the left) around 2 lines down from highlighted stuff are the bytes 0D 0A 0D 0A
7-2. The 16 groups of two characters (hex bytes) after 0D 0A 0D 0A is your unique cartridge ID (private header)
7-3. After your private header there will be 48 FF bytes.

Troubleshooting:

Finding it difficult to understand?:
Take a look at the video!

Cant find: name="Id"; filename="id.bin":
I got those errors once or twice, your best bet is to close powersaves and hxd, open powersaves then open hxd again. It's kinda hit and miss, but its more reliable than the other method.

Games That I Tested This Method With:
Working:

Pokemon Y
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Not Working:
Cubic Ninja
Farming Simulator 14

So, you want a .bin file?
If you want to make a .bin of your header (Which you should do)

This is a blank template file,
Follow these steps..
1. Open this .bin with HxD
2. Paste your unique ID as the first 16 bytes
3. Save the file.

I use my header and get error 002-0123:
If you're getting the error 002-0123 when using a rom with your new header, take a look at this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/why-sky3ds-gets-002-0123-even-with-a-private-header.385672/

How do i fix it?
1. Open Sky Army Knife
2. Select latest template file
3. Select the rom that is giving you the error
4. In the "Cart ID" section, change the manufacturer
5. Click "Save to .txt"
6. Open diskwriter, and select our modified template
7. Delete rom from your SD with diskwriter
8. Re-write the rom with the edited template we made
9. Cycle through the games on your sky3ds so that it refreshes
10. Play Game

(If you still get the error, Repeat steps 4 to 9 but change the manufacturer to something DIFFERENT)

My Savegame is corrupt:
You, should have read the disclaimer.

Suggestions
Get These Tools:
Sky Army Knife - By Foxi4, A multi-tool for Sky3DS users. (Used for changing various parts of the template for each game)
No Ban Sky - By hackotedelaplaqu, patch all games in the template file with your unique ID.

Last edited by LameNobody,

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hxd keeps saying it can't find the text string. So i checked unicode and case sensitive and got
.©..............~À......àLD......À.............. À...............¬ŒÀ.ùÿÿ0ô†À.ùÿÿ
which apparently says something like can't find name="Id"; filename=id.bin
So, I'm guessing ORAS doesn't work...

Reactions: Christian Rosado

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hxd keeps saying it can't find the text string. So i checked unicode and case sensitive and got
.©..............~À......àLD......À.............. À...............¬ŒÀ.ùÿÿ0ô†À.ùÿÿ
which apparently says something like can't find name="Id"; filename=id.bin
So, I'm guessing ORAS doesn't work...

May I ask which version of powersaves are you using? I don't know much but I think I can remember a version of the device that does not support Pokémon games...
Also,
Disclaimer (Important)
If your game, once inserted into powersaves acts like it has been removed anr placed back into the powersaves dongle (Constantly refreshing the save list and displaying unsupported game) THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH THAT GAME

Can you tell us more about those games? I suppose those are games that does not support save editing, am I right?

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
May I ask which version of powersaves are you using? I don't know much but I think I can remember a version of the device that does not support Pokémon games...
Also,

Can you tell us more about those games? I suppose those are games that does not support save editing, am I right?

I'm using the powersaves pro, BUT on the powersaves website they say that the pro and the original are the exact same product, just marketed for different regions.
about the pokemon thing, they updated the program to add support

About those games, I'm not really sure... because scribblenauts did not support save editing either and it worked fine... But i noticed when the program does that it wont fetch the id.bin

Reactions: 4ur0r

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also,

Powersaves v 1.21. it can save edit ORAS

InfoFront

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. As a new New 3DS owner, I was looking for a way to get my private headers. I just ordered a powersaves pro. I'll post my results after I get a chance to use it.

ManBeaPig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have managed to take an extract using the original method using MHU4 (EUR) and Professor Layton's Miracle Mask (EUR).

The 'new' method has NOT worked for me at all. This is using Powersaves V1.21 with a UK bought reader and EUR games. Once the header was found using the old method I did find it again after deleting the backup, but it was located NOWHERE near the string you advise us to copy and paste, as in fact that string doesn't even exist.

I will report back once I have my Sky3DS as to if this actually works or not.

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually, I don't understand the choice of the OP to completely remove the old guide, could have been pretty useful to who can't get the header witht the new method. Altough, my powersaves is on the way :)

ramon2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
First of all, thanks for all your research work.
I have been testing both methods, and for me, the 2n method only works for a "very small amount of time after I insert the card" (and moreover in few cases). That is, I am only able to find the ' name="Id"; filename="id.bin" ' string for few seconds, and even if I find it, the key disappears in 1-2 seconds.

What has worked for me has been a "simplification" of the 1st method, that is briefly summarized following:
- Open powersaves.
- [I have not created any save, not removed any save (indeed I had no save), and not exited powersaves and run again powersave)
- Insert the game
- Open HxD (it can be before opening powersaves)
- Search for the "04 58 43 00 00 00 88" hex-value, and look that it is followed by the 16 Hex-bytes key and the 48 FF bytes.

Without closing any program (powersaves or HxD), I can remove the game card and insert a new one, and search again for the "04 58 43 00 00 00 88" hex-value etc. to get the key for the newly inserted game.

I have been able to get the key only for games supported by powersaves (like in the previous methods).

I have checked this method with 3 games/keys I have extracted with the "2nd method".

ManBeaPig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
I have been testing both methods, and for me, the 2n method only works for a "very small amount of time after I insert the card" (and moreover in few cases). That is, I am only able to find the ' name="Id"; filename="id.bin" ' string for few seconds, and even if I find it, the key disappears in 1-2 seconds.

What has worked for me has been a "simplification" of the 1st method, that is briefly summarized following:
- Open powersaves.
- [I have not created any save, not removed any save (indeed I had no save), and not exited powersaves and run again powersave)
- Insert the game
- Search for the "04 58 43 00 00 00 88" hex-value, and look that it is followed by the 16 Hex-bytes key and the 48 FF bytes.

Without closing any program (powersaves or HxD), I can remove the game card and insert a new one, and search again for the "04 58 43 00 00 00 88" hex-value etc. to get the key for the newly inserted game.

I have been able to get the key only for games supported by powersaves (like in the previous methods).

I have checked this method with 3 games/keys I have extracted with the "2nd method".

For my MHU4 EUR card the hex string before what I *BELIEVE* to be my private key is 8A 24 9F 0F 00 00 00 88. For my EUR Professor Layton cart it is FC 24 9F 0F 00 00 00 88. It is possible that EUR carts use "24 9F 0F 00 00 00 88" before the header. I do not at this time have any more EUR carts available for testing.

Once again I do NOT have my Sky3DS cart yet so I have yet to test either of what I believe are my private headers online.

I will be trying to get another cart over the next few days to see if this trend is the same across all EUR games. Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a friends MHU4 cart to make sure the key I think is private is different to the one I have.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
new method doesnt work for me. Cant find the header.

I did do a hex search for my header i got with the first method and its there.

OP you should post the original ver also.

LameNobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

- Open powersaves.
- Insert the game

What precedes the header seems to vary, making the second method more accurate.
new method doesnt work for me. Cant find the header.

I did do a hex search for my header i got with the first method and its there.

OP you should post the original ver also.

The original tut is in a spoiler at the bottom of the original post.

puxxi2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --> i hope this is my PrivateHeader

Code:
03-31-59_(Header
File).bin..F .sD
Ò.³7...Œ(Bd.....
¨‹².°‚².еT.\¤R?
Eû.?þÅS?....\¤R:
............\¤R:
......8AË.º7...ˆ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

i tried 30-40 times to find something like this in the memory
searching for "HeaderFile", name of my save in Powersaves

thanks

LameNobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --> i hope this is my PrivateHeader

Code:
03-31-59_(Header
File).bin..F .sD
Ò.³7...Œ(Bd.....
¨‹².°‚².еT.\¤R?
Eû.?þÅS?....\¤R:
............\¤R:
......8AË.º7...ˆ
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

i tried 30-40 times to find something like this in the memory
searching for "HeaderFile", name of my save in Powersaves

thanks

That looks to be your header

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the first version, looking for the name of your save, I was able to find my header for AS, X, Shinobi and Starfox.
The new method has yet to work for me... perhaps the old method is better?

LameNobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With the first version, looking for the name of your save, I was able to find my header for AS, X, Shinobi and Starfox.
The new method has yet to work for me... perhaps the old method is better?

I've had the same amount of success with both methods, I don't know what makes me so lucky...
But, if one fails, try the other I guess.

Glad it worked for you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...