Hacking [Tutorial] For those unlucky to own a Japanese Wii U - How to play in English, problematic games

ProtossEvo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'd like to add to the discussions regarding updates and dlc. I've never actually change the app.xml file to prevent updates and dlc. I was just lazy. Most of them still works in english even with the over -the -internet update. I didn't find updating the game changing anything in the replaced language files, i.e. the language content file size remain the same as the eng version. If you use the ftpii method, you will see that the updates and dlc are stored in completely diffeŕnt place on your drive. They shouldn't change any modification you have done to the main game. But if something was missing the game just might not run.

For the games that didnt work after update, I found the similar language folder in the update folder too. So, once you replace that too, you might be good. However, I still have some trouble with captain toad +update Im not quite sure why.
Yeah, not every game with updates will revert to Japanese, it depends which files the Update will add. For the ones in the first post, that I said to edit the app.xml, though, I had the problem of reverting back to Japanese, like Mario Kart 8. I didn't know that Updates and DLC are downloaded to a different folder, so the solution of merging DLC and Update files to the game folder shouldn't work, actually, problably I did this kind of test when I was developing the method, It just happens that was a long time ago, and I really can't remember.

Reactions: Rtyuij

ProtossEvo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
just figured out how to know which update is installed:

View attachment 286935

convert these two bytes to decimal, so that means new super mario bros. (usa) is version 64. according to wii u brew title ids, that's the latest version for the usa version.
Very nice! But I'm a little ignorant to work with hexadecimal programs, I can't figure out what I'm looking at haha. My app.xml solution came from a lot of trial and error, the updates were driving me crazy.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice! But I'm a little ignorant to work with hexadecimal programs, I can't figure out what I'm looking at haha. My app.xml solution came from a lot of trial and error, the updates were driving me crazy.
I don't even really know if it will work. it probably won't now that I think about it. the versions.bin is just the latest update that can be installed. it's supposed to prevent downgrading a game to an earlier version even if you delete the game/update. it will say something about a later version needing to be installed if you install an earlier version, then try to boot the game.

Reactions: ProtossEvo

Lizander2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Hello, download Paper Mario Jap and change the MSBT files and the files that say Jap_jp for files in Spanish of the Eur version, but the game freezes when finding the paint can, does someone else happen to it?

jml_hybs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Since everyone here seems to own a Japanese wiiu, anyone here tried donkey kong country returns (wii) inject on their wiiu? Controls are working great but the language are messed where the letters are replaced by question marks. Anyone have a proper solution to this? Thanks!

Lizander2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
there it stays, music is heard and there is movement but nothing else

Attachments

• P11130-211650.jpg
    P11130-211650.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Since everyone here seems to own a Japanese wiiu, anyone here tried donkey kong country returns (wii) inject on their wiiu? Controls are working great but the language are messed where the letters are replaced by question marks. Anyone have a proper solution to this? Thanks!
Do you mean with the NTSC version or NTSC-J? I have to use the region-free system file modification 119 and then run spiik. That is the only way to run games correctly. All these games in the list do essentially the same thing only instead to alter the system file on the console that runs the game they patched the same file in the backup of the games so it matches the region of the console.

Last edited by Idrolitina,

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
probably bad batch answers from one or more of the files that were altered. The safest way is to install the normal NTSC-U or PAL version and change the console type with Spiik to system Language Spanish, console region (the same of the game you installed).

jml_hybs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Do you mean with the NTSC version or NTSC-J? I have to use the region-free system file modification 119 and then run spiik. That is the only way to run games correctly. All these games in the list do essentially the same thing only instead to alter the system file on the console that runs the game they patched the same file in the backup of the games so it matches the region of the console.
Spiik don't work on wii injects tho.

BerserkMadness1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi guys :)
Would this method work with Wii games?
For example, the only Wii game injected on my Wii U that is not in English is Xenoblade Chronicles. I've tried both USA and EUR versions but always stars in Japanese.

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hi guys :)
Would this method work with Wii games?
For example, the only Wii game injected on my Wii U that is not in English is Xenoblade Chronicles. I've tried both USA and EUR versions but always stars in Japanese.
Hi there! Did you change the region to 119 in your console? After that did you use Spiik and set it to PAL or NTSC and the language to the one you want?

Reactions: BerserkMadness1989

BerserkMadness1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi there! Did you change the region to 119 in your console? After that did you use Spiik and set it to PAL or NTSC and the language to the one you want?
Yep, I tried with the homebrew Spiik but didn''t work.
I haven't tried with the region method that you speak of, but I think that couldn't work because the console restarts itself after launching the game, so the result will be the same.

Idrolitina

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yep, I tried with the homebrew Spiik but didn''t work.
I haven't tried with the region method that you speak of, but I think that couldn't work because the console restarts itself after launching the game, so the result will be the same.
That is not ordinary behavior for when an installed game cannot post for the region. The console should stop at the first loading screen (where it makes region check). Restart in general is given by Wii U when it is failing to access ram which can happen because of conflict from what Spiik set the region in the console to and the region file stored in the NAND... I never met this specific problem but I think you need to change your region via FTP and it would instead load the game in the language you have selected in Spiik.

When you change the region with FTP be very careful because this can cause brick if you touch anything but the region address. There are good tutorial and guide online. Look for them if you decide to try. Good luck!

Reactions: BerserkMadness1989

HotSnack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
did anybody get super mario 3d world showing English in a Japanese Wii U yet?
i tried decrypt the JP ver and put EN language file in and encrypt but no luck, the game still shows Japanese when installed.
editing the xml file didnt work either.
i lost my disk so i have to use the downloaded version from the wii usb helper

neph00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i tried decrypt the JP ver and put EN language file in and encrypt but no luck, the game still shows Japanese when installed.
I have 3d Mario on jap console oand its working fine with english, but i must check what i was changing coz i dont remember

neph00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Hi,
check those folders:

"content\LuigiBros\msg"
"content\LocalizedData"

and for US version rename UsEn folder to JpJa and USA_en folder to JAP_ja,
for EU version rename EUR_en to JAP_ja and EuEn to JpJa.

Should work without modifing meta.xml

HotSnack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi,
check those folders:

"content\LuigiBros\msg"
"content\LocalizedData"

and for US version rename UsEn folder to JpJa and USA_en folder to JAP_ja,
for EU version rename EUR_en to JAP_ja and EuEn to JpJa.

Should work without modifing meta.xml
thanks it works !! also i changed the app.xml value to 16 and 0060 and the game works flawlessly

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What did you use to install these games that were fixed because I followed all the steps and yet it doesn't show up on the Wii U menu at all.

Attachments

• 20220302_201927.jpg
    20220302_201927.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20220302_202017.jpg
    20220302_202017.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 58

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.