Tutorial  Updated

Fusee Gelee Tutorial for OSX Users

Wanted to do a quick write up for people on OSX. I had to ask around a lot on IRC today and wanted to share how I managed to get everything working:

Step One: Install Python 3

Step Two: Install Brew

Step Three: Install libusb in Terminal ('brew install libusb')

Step Four: Install pyusb in Terminal (sudo easy_install pyusb) (if this doesn't work try sudo python3 -mpip install pyusb)

Step Five: Download Fusee.bin and https://github.com/reswitched/fusee-launcher
https://github.com/reswitched/fusee-launcher

Step Six: Get your Switch into recovery (I had best luck stripping both ends of a decently thick copper wire I had around, like in the Fail Overflow image, and attached it to pin 10 (furthest away from the screen with the right joycon removed, and the other end attached to the metal of the fan housing at the top of the console). Power the system down and then hold volume +, press power. If you don't see the Nintendo logo you did it correctly. There won't even be a backlight. If you did it wrong keep trying.

Step Seven: Run the Python payload command in terminal after you navigate to the directory you have it in, AKA sudo python3 ./fusee-launcher.py fusee.bin

And you should be good to go.

Last edited by gbazone,

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Much appreciated

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wanted to do a quick write up for people on OSX. I had to ask around a lot on IRC today and wanted to share how I managed to get everything working:

Step One: Install Python 3

Step Two: Install Brew

Step Three: Install libusb in Terminal ('brew install libusb')

Step Four: Install pyusb in Terminal (sudo easy_install pyusb)

Step Five: Get your Switch into recovery (I had best luck stripping both ends of a decently thick copper wire I had around, like in the Fail Overflow image, and attached it to pin 10 (furthest away from the screen with the right joycon removed, and the other end attached to the metal of the fan housing at the top of the console). Power the system down and then hold volume +, press power. If you don't see the Nintendo logo you did it correctly. There won't even be a backlight. If you did it wrong keep trying.

Step Six: Run the Python payload command in terminal, AKA sudo python3 ./fusee-launcher.py fusee.bin

And you should be good to go.

Does this get Linux up and running or just a way of testing the boot eploit?

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
It works for everything at the moment (ShofEL2/Linux, and Fusée).

But your tutorial is it for Linux or specifically for homebrew that's what I needed clarification on.

If it allows homebrew will 4.1.0 work with this.

It works for everything at the moment (ShofEL2/Linux, and Fusée).

Apologies for the questions just wanted to clarify

gbazone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
But your tutorial is it for Linux or specifically for homebrew that's what I needed clarification on.

If it allows homebrew will 4.1.0 work with this.

Apologies for the questions just wanted to clarify

There's no publicly released homebrew method for anything past 3.0 at the moment. Linux is your best bet to have some fun until things progress further. It will come soon.

Reactions: Leonidas87

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
There's no publicly released homebrew method for anything past 3.0 at the moment. Linux is your best bet to have some fun until things progress further. It will come soon.

Thanks for the clarification. So this gets Linux running or are there added steps for getting Linux up and running fully. I hear Linux running but is that full gui or just for coding. This is all so new everything really going on. I have a hackintosh so I could use your method. Looks 10 times easier then on a Linux system unless I'm wrong. I'd be willing to do some testing on Apple with this method.

Dread_Pirate_PJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! Very helpful and quick. I had some jumper cables on a breadboard for an Arduino project, so I used one of those jumpers. It was long enough to reach the fan casing. :toot:

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could i use a hacked together wire made of twisted aluminum foil? also, does it have to ONLY touch the 10th pin? i think that's my problem

Dread_Pirate_PJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i have 2 make a aluminum wire long enough to go from pin 10 and touch fan grill? does the wire have to only touch 10 for this to work?

Yep, just touch from pin 10 to the fan grill. Then hold down vol+ and switch on the console. If you get the Nintendo logo, reseat the wire and try again.

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, just touch from pin 10 to the fan grill. Then hold down vol+ and switch on the console. If you get the Nintendo logo, reseat the wire and try again.
yeah thats my problem. the wire is too thick. but can i just hold a staple in my hand or would the staple also have to be touched to the fan grill

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada
Quick question should I be using a fresh sd card or is my currently in use sd card ok that's in the switch now?

Wouldn't want to see myt sd card data deleted when I have a spare I could have been using

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question should I be using a fresh sd card or is my currently in use sd card ok that's in the switch now?

Wouldn't want to see myt sd card data deleted when I have a spare I could have been using
you need to use a fresh SD card. in order to use linux you need to format the SD

Reactions: Leonidas87

Leonidas87

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Canada

andijames

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah if you install python through brew it goes on usr/local and pip or easy_install don't have the permission issues you get with native installs for cli tools. Brew is God basically on Mac for cli work. Use that as your source of truth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: 80% is nintendrones