[TUTORIAL] Export your Pokémon animated models from 3DS to Unity Engine 3D

Manurocker95 Mar 5, 2019.

1. Jacoob

Jacoob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    Hey another quick thing, I noticed the animations imported into Unity don't loop seamlessly like they do in Spica. Anyone notice this and or know how to fix it? I'm pretty new to Unity so I don't know if this is a common Unity thing or if something is wrong with the export.

2. Manurocker95
    OP

Manurocker95 Game Developer & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    In blender and unity, you can setup an animation as loop. If you want to do it in Unity, select the animation file in your project resources tab > in the inspector > click on Loop

Last edited by Manurocker95, May 22, 2019
  3. Jacoob

Jacoob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    Oh, I already know how to loop an animation. what I meant to say is that when the animation repeats there is a slight stutter unlike Spica which is seamless. Sorry for the vagueness.

4. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    What animations? I didn't notice that in any of the animations I exported. Anyway, you can create different nodes in the animation controller with the same animation and fix the transition between them anyway.

5. Jacoob

Jacoob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    Here is the stuttering I'm getting, It's a lot more noticeable if the animation is slowed down.

And can you walk me through the method for fixing the transition? When I tried to fix it myself the animation became really wonky, would really appreciate it.

6. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Hmm... I see. It is not happening for none of my Pokémon. weird... I guess you are recording that in play mode with an animator controller (not animation component), right?

What I mean is setting the blending between animations (same) for not having that cut.

upload_2019-5-22_21-45-9.

7. Jacoob

Jacoob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    I think so? I didn't know there was different ways to use animations.

This is exactly what I did, but it made the animation look real funny, almost as if he was limping.

8. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    You can use Animation that plays the animation (not having a finit state machine for animations). I tried playing my own walking animations but they seem fine even slowing them down.

I can try ripping Incineroar to test it tho.

9. Jacoob

Jacoob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    I think yours is actually skipping a bit too, I couldn't quite make it out during the idle but I definitely saw it during the walking animation. Though it's a bit hard to tell because Nidoking's walking animation isn't as dramatic as Incineroar's

10. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Yes, it seems there are some frames missing in Incineroar's running animation. But Ohana doesn't export it right either so it's maybe an exporting issue :/

11. Jacoob

Jacoob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    Looks like the animation curves get messed up? Maybe check to see if your other pokemon are messed up as well. If they are, there might just be something wrong with importing them with this method and hopefully unity doesn't just always mess them up.
    [​IMG]

12. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    Do you know of anyone posting the models with animations? I've found one or two examples of a single pokemon with animations, and I've seen a few examples of mass dumps of the models, but none of the mass dumps I've seen claim to include the animations. For some reason we keep going over our ISP's data limit and getting charged extra, so I'm reluctant to just try downloading the full dumps to see whether they include the animations. I might try though, if you aren't already aware of someone. It would be a huge time-saver, so I may just have to take the risk of a few more gigs of downloads.

13. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Hello guys !

I'm almost done with Gastly (missing shadows / wrong text mask animation):

[​IMG]

I did a very confuse particle system but it work :P

First you need to make a shader : flipbook (with gastly's sprite sheet) + stencil, like the one below.
    (for the stencil you can use the fire shader i made as reference).

[​IMG]

When the flipbook is ready, add a particle system to the gastly's FirecoreA and set particle's shape like this :
    (Skinned Mesh Renderer : FirecoreA (its the small ball)

[​IMG]
    Then add the flip book shader to your particle.

To add Texture and colors to the smoke effect, you have to add a stencil masked shader to the big animated ball that come with gastly like this :
    (You can use this part as exemple for the stencil effect but the texture anim is not finished).

[​IMG]

The shader is almost the same as charmander's flame, you'll only need to set the references to your needs and add the head in front place in the stencil (except the iris).

Last edited by Demothene, May 25, 2019
    Manurocker95 likes this.
  14. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Man, this is freaking cool. This may madness sales I bought shader amplify to replicate your charizard's shader.

15. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Nice ! ASE is by far the best shader tool in unity's store, fast to learn, easy to make complex shaders, there are tons of exemples/documentation, its a good practice if you plan to use shadergraph later and its LWRP/HDRP compatible.
    Been 5 months since i made my first shader, and honestly i wish i knew ASE first :P.

16. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Yeah, but there are nodes that I really miss that are in shadergraph like voronoi noise. It's really cool tho.

17. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    It is... Unfortunately, if we want custom nodes, we need to learn how to write them :P (I'll give it a try later)

18. Ergoth

Ergoth Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2019
    Netherlands

How did you manage to get the .dds images loaded into 3dsmax? I've searched around a lot on the internet, but can't seem to find any solution.

19. impo

impo Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2011
    Wow, that's really cool! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm having a few (a lot) of issues, I'm wondering if someone could help me?
    I'm trying to extract some Pokemon models for a proof of concept - I want to update a phone app I made, but I'm having trouble extracting.

In section "3. Getting the files" (un)Pack+BCLIM doesn't work on any of my files, even when holding down Ctrl. I think I must have messed up the extraction process. I tried with Ultra Moon and Moon.
    My extracted files look like this (sorry, can't upload images):

-DecryptedExeFS.bin
    -DecryptedExHeader.bin
    -DecryptedManual.bin
    -DecryptedRomFS.bin
    -HeaderNCCH0.bin
    -HeaderNCCH1.bin
    -LogoLZ.bin
    -PlainRGN.bin

I extracted them for a CIA file in HackingToolKit3DS. I don't have a "ExtractedRomFS\a\0\9" folder, or don't know where to look for it.
    Would this mean I've extracted the game incorrectly?

Thanks for any help you can give (sorry if it's a dumb question too)!

EDIT: I was doing it wrong, I figured it out - thanks :)

Last edited by impo, May 27, 2019
  20. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    You can open dds in Photoshop and export them as psd/png

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted