[TUTORIAL] Export your Pokémon animated models from 3DS to Unity Engine 3D

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by Manurocker95, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Great job ! ^^ I would love to have a 3d tile editor like this one : (https://forum.unity.com/threads/tileworldcreator-create-beautiful-tile-maps-in-unity.296017/) for PmnLG :P

If you want the real Shader formula for The terrain, fabdelb did it on another forum :

Its "light grass/path" simplified:

[​IMG]
    And the real shader formula :
    The value is multiplied with the vertex color value and alpha, and with the lower value between the cloud shadow value (another texture used) and the shadow from the buildings and other objects (a depth map generated in a first pass).

I've already tried toony colors, its very cool but not as sharp as let's go (there is a godlike "Stylized water shader" on store if you like this kind), and it doesnt fit well (the foam especially) even with custom settings, I love windwaker style but i'm more into something btw Rime and LG.
    Water in lets go is fully 2D with multiple textures used for a false reflection (skybox reflection, clouds (as another texture in the same shader) etc...) and as you see there is a blue gradient following the camera to simulate distance illumination and that's only it.

My goal is to reproduce it, i'm pretty sure its not that hard and we already got the textures for it. Then i'll try to add reflection so we can see distorded characters mirrored in water and it should be good enough.

If you success reproducing the real terrain shader, plz share it :P.
    (I will share Gastly soon :) Need only 1 or 2 things to fully fix him :P)

Last edited by Demothene, May 5, 2019
  2. Tubby94

Tubby94 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    Canada
    Can anyone explain the process to fix duplicate wings on the flying pokemon?

3. Manurocker95
    OP

Manurocker95 Game Developer & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    As Spica nor Ohana don’t export visibility animations, you need to do it by hand in Blender

4. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    In your tutorial, you're able to open the bins directly with Ohana, correct? Every time I try, I get this error: (can't post a screenshot because I'm too new) "Unable to read beyond the end of the stream." Have you ever run into that? I'm trying to build Ohana myself, in case it's a problem with the latest build on the thread, but it has some invalid references I'm having trouble resolving. (First up is DirectX, and the SDK installer fails for me every time)

5. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Try dumping again the binaries

6. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    So I've tried using my own cartridge dumped with a homebrewed 3ds and using a rom I downloaded. Here's my results. If anyone has ideas, I'd really appreciate them.

My own dump:
    When I dump it with GodMode9, it automatically decrypts it. Although many comments on Roseplier's tutorial say to decrypt it, Roseplier's post says not to, so I tried it both decrypted and re-encrypted.
    Either way, HackingToolkit9DS gives me only binaries - no folders. At this point, I tried the rom.
    After having some success with the rom and romFSDecryption, (see below) I tried using that same method with my dump (both encrypted and not) RomFSExtractor gives an error. (not a valid romFS binary)
    That's as far as I've gotten with my own cartridge dump.

Rom:
    HackingToolkit9DS isn't giving me folders with the rom either - just binaries.
    I tried a tool called romFSDecryption instead, to get the RomFS binary, and then used RomFSExtractor (from the extra tools that come with HackingToolkit9DS) to extract the files from it. This got me the folders with the models and things, but none of it will open in ohana.

I plan to try both the rom and cartridge again from the very top, but given how long this has taken, I thought I'd ask for help first. I definitely feel like I'm missing something with HackingToolkit9DS, but I don't know what. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it. Has anyone else used it on Windows 10? I know it's a bit old, so maybe that's the problem?

7. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    I have no idea why, but on my second re-encrypted cartridge dump, HackingToolkit9DS gave me the folders! Yay!

...but Ohana still won't open the binaries...

Is there an alternative to Ohana I could try?

8. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    I went scouring the forums once again, and I found two other versions of Ohana from Majickhat55 that were recommended to someone else having (different) problems with Ohana. The one from this tutorial is working for me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/mini-tutorial-replacing-textures-in-sumo.457806/

To be clear, I'm using it on the binaries I got from me re-encrypted cartridge dump. So in case this helps anyone else, here was my full process:
    Use GodMode9 on my homebrewed 3DS to dump my cartridge as a cia
    Use GodMode9 on my homebrewed 3DS to encrypt the cia I just dumped
    Move the cia to my computer and run HackingToolkit9DS on it
    Use PK3DS on a/0/9/4 to extract the models, textures, etc
    Use OhanaGotTextures from the link above to open those models, textures, etc (This is where I differed from Roseplier's tutorial)

9. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    *sigh* Now I'm having trouble importing smds into blender. This one should be easier to fix, just hoping for a kick-start. Are you using a plug-in for SMD imports? If not, what version of Blender are you using? I'm on 2.7 and can't find a plug-in that works.

10. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Please, read the tutorial carefully. Instructions and download link are in the first page:

11. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    Sorry, I'm not sure how I missed that. I've tried that plugin, though, and it gives me errors. The plugin says to use version 2.74 or later. I'm on 2.79. I'll see if I can get 2.74 - maybe it doesn't support the newest version.

12. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    I use Blender 2.79 and Blender 2.80 beta and I confirm it works without issues

13. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France

You can try Spica, i use it for everything related to (U)sun/(U)moon. (Download)
    (You can find anything you need here Pokémon models (on the first post)

My blender is the same version as yours, you should try another format like .dae (using spica) :P

There is a Ohana rebirth version somewhere that let you extract any pokemon by command, Its the fastest way to extract pokies but i only recommand it for X/Y or older.

14. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    Thanks for the tips! I tried Spica earlier with no success, but maybe it will work with my latest dump. (since HackerToolkit9DS is working with it) That Ohana version you mentioned sounds awesome, but I really need (want) the walking/running animations from ultra sun/moon. I'm trying to remake Pokemon Snap in VR, and animation is by far my biggest weakness, so I'm really relying on the Pokemon company for that.

I have no clue what mine is doing then. I even tried a fresh download of blender just to ensure I was on the Beta.

This whole process has been unbelievable full of issues for me. I know I must sound like an idiot that's stumbling around, skipping steps, and not keeping track of my processes, but I swear that's not true. I've got a whole set of folders with text documents for each version of the binaries I've dumped and what I've tried with them. I feel like I'm going crazy. I may have to take a break from the model/animation extraction for a bit and go back to coding and terrain just to keep some momentum on the project. I'll give it one more round of attempts, first, though.

15. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    Blender 2.74 works with the smd add-on for me. Still no idea why 2.79 doesn't. I haven't tried Spica, yet, but I probably will eventually just to see if I find it any easier to use. I finally have a Pikachu in my scene to work with instead of the yellow stock rabbit I've been using! I screwed up my textures, (I thought the eyes and mouth should have half the image flipped onto each side, instead of the whole image mirrored on one side like the body - clearly I was wrong, as shown by Pikachu's horrific screaming black rectangle of a mouth) but that's an easy fix. I'm calling this a win!

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for the help - I know I've been a pain. Hopefully all the trouble I've had will help someone else down the road.

16. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Then you should really consider to use spica asap (its the same guy, Ohana3ds was for older gen), we got all animations by types; Battle, amie, misc etc... And you'll have the ability to extract them by saving the model with a single animation attached to it .
    (Use the link i've mentionned earlier to download every gen from x/y to Lets go, extracted and sorted by ID, There is also a link with all pokemon lets go new textures already converted from .dds and alpha enabled, if you need).

GL ! ^^

Last edited by Demothene, May 19, 2019 at 3:29 PM
  17. Jacoob

Jacoob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 17, 2019
    United States
    I really wish the animations were labeled, there seems to be a lot of duplicate fighting animations and I'm not sure why, any ideas?

18. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    You have to figure it out by yourself unfortunately.
    In my opinion its more like multiple inputs of the same animation (Moves/types architecture related).
    As you can see there is a lot of inputs of the same animation but most pokémons use only 2 offensive moves, spécial or physical.
    I identified that some other animations are divided in sequences. In battle there is an animation for the "ball out" it is divided in 3 files start/Loop/End (same for the sleep sequence : Start/loop/End.)

19. JoQsh

JoQsh Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2019
    United States
    I think this may be what Demothene meant by multiple inputs, but I noticed that several of the nearly identical animations had slightly different starting poses. I think the idea is that each of the seeming duplicates offers a smooth transition out of some prior animation.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I just tried Spica, but it's still not working for me, even with my successful dump files. Is there a specific version you would suggest I try, that might work for me like OhanaGotTextures is working where Ohana Rebirth doesn't? Spica is supposed to support Ultra Sun/Moon, right?

20. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    All versions are fully working for me. Ohana and Spica. iirc, you can download the models from deviantart. You can try that