[TUTORIAL] Export your Pokémon animated models from 3DS to Unity Engine 3D

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by Manurocker95, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Unfortunatly imo you'll have to achieve these in unity by hand. Spica is still in developement and have not been updated for like 10 months :/
    Maybe try to ask gdkchan on github...

Other way is to figure out how to fix it in unity.
    Maybe you can try to hide parts of the pokemon in idle and keep them visible on others ?
    For the eyes, you'll have to replicate it as well, best bet is to learn animation with unity (i have no knowledge on eyes animation atm).

2. DRRosen3

DRRosen3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2019
    United States
    It's not really an "animation" per say. You can achieve it via an animation you create in Unity...but what you're really doing is moving the X and/or Y offset on the texture.

3. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Ok thanks, if i understand.. You only need to offset the texture and add keyframe to the animation ?

I will try faces expression now i'm finished with fire shader.
    its not as perfect as the original one but i'm pretty happy with the result :
    (Culling mode disabled to render front and back side of the effect)

[​IMG]

Animated materials can be fixed with stencil buffer, gaslty is almost finished too but i need to figure out how to use
    the two big animated shells that come with him (if you find a way... pls tell me :P).

4. Metalcape

Metalcape Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2015
    Italy
    So the texture offset "animations" shouldn't be too hard to reproduce, while for the material animation (fire etc) you need to use the stencil buffer... So I guess the black/white textures are just masks? For example, for Blaziken's fire I could make it solid yellow then apply the stencil texures to add the fire effect? I'll experiment a bit more with both spica and ohana3ds exports as soon as I can, the latter seems to be a little easier to apply materials to.

Also asking gdkchan might not be a bad idea. If spica actually exports those animations, there could be a way to make unity recognize them (I'm not exactly an animation expert so I kinda hate having to remake something that's already there :P but I guess I'll have to start somewhere...)

5. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Yeah you found out what to do with b&w textures, Their names tells you what to do :P FireCoreMask.. FireStenMask etc etc
    If you want an exemple i can show you with amplify shader editor (its a node based editor coz i'm a newbie :P)

6. Metalcape

Metalcape Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2015
    Italy
    Sure, it would be nice to have some reference, thanks!

7. Mineturtlepls

Mineturtlepls Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2019
    United States
    2019-04-16_12-35-38. Anyone else having weird/glitchy material or visibility animations in SPICA? Not sure if it's working right.

Last edited by Mineturtlepls, Apr 16, 2019
  8. Tubby94

Tubby94 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2019
    Canada
    Is there a way to fix animations when they implode in blender? I want to export all models and animations as a single FBX for Unity/Unreal, but some pokemon such as Prinplup have imploding parts of the model when importing animations.

Using 3DS max fixes this issue most of the time, but you can't export everything in 3DS as a single FBX which is annoying.

Green Joy-Con D-Pad Shells for Nintendo Switch

EDIT: Managed to fix everything with Game Exporter in 3DS MAX. Everything works perfectly in both UE4 and Unity

Last edited by Tubby94, Apr 23, 2019
  9. DRRosen3

DRRosen3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2019
    United States
    Anyone ever find a better solution for this? I ask because just adding the iris directly to the texture doesn't always work so well. For example, Rattata's iris is much bigger than the eye area.

10. Manurocker95
    OP

Manurocker95 Game Developer & Pokémon Master

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    You can change the layer easily. And to your question... Yes, then you need to create a shader (in shader graph is even easier) where you paint the iris texture before painting the regular mesh albedo

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

In the latest versions you have Shader Graph for free

11. DRRosen3

DRRosen3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2019
    United States
    Can you give me a quick walk-through of what I'm trying to do in Shader Graph? I'm not too knowledgeable about shaders.

12. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Hello guys !
    I made some progress on my fire shader :

[​IMG]

Here is an exemple using ASE (the best shader editor so far with more options than shadergraph and work with any render pipeline).
    The most important part is the stencil buffer on the left menu.

The Core stencil mask :
    You can Turn culling mode to back on the Core if you want the real flamme size.
    [​IMG]

The shell masked Stencil

[​IMG]

Don't forget to set render queue on your material, mine is set to transparent +2 for the Core and +3 for the shell.

Percyllr and cearp like this.
  13. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    I need to test this asap in shadergraph, thank you very much dude :D

14. DRRosen3

DRRosen3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2019
    United States
    @Demothene I'm curious...where did you get your house/building/environment models? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

15. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
    Ripped from Lets go I guess

16. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    Last edited by Demothene, Apr 28, 2019
    cearp and TriggerEdge like this.
  17. Manurocker95
    OP

May 29, 2016
    Spain
    Madrid
  18. TriggerEdge

TriggerEdge Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    @Manurocker95 First and foremost, thanks for your tutorial, it was helped me a lot :).

Here some pics:
    _001. _002.

@Demothene Hi! How you can render properly LG scenes into Unity, especially the cliffs? I was trying to make a tile based level editor in runtime for my game, I would be very grateful if you could provide me some details about this ;).

_tiles.

19. Demothene

Demothene Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2019
    France
    If you mean the grass cover on top of the cliff, you need to use the glassmask texture (with cut out alpha enabled) and change UV channel btw 1-3.
    Everything use this method in PLG, Model with multiple UV channels using a composite shader but i don't know how to write a composite so...

For the terrain :
    I made a shader with 4 textures lerp (2 lighter grass for the first layer and 2 darker for the second one) blended by the grass or soil noise then i lerp the results with the grass decoration texture (alpha enabled) used as a lerp Mask on UV channel 3.

For the cliff :
    I copy the terrain shader and add the other Grass décoration texture to alpha cut out so it only draw the décoration.

I'll explain better later if you need, not at home actually :P

Do any of you is able to reproduce this shader ? :P I'm a bit struggling with water -_-
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/a14598/lets_go_pikachu_styled_water/

Last edited by Demothene, May 4, 2019
    TriggerEdge likes this.
  20. TriggerEdge

TriggerEdge Newbie

Newcomer
    May 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Hello! I have had a small advance with my tile implementation, I have created a shader in ASE similar to the one that you explain (Im totally noob with shaders the truth :rofl2:) and I got the following result:

upload_2019-5-5_2-58-15.

The shader, srry for poor resolution haha:
    upload_2019-5-5_3-1-59.

Check Toony Colors Pro 2 on the asset store, it has a wind waker water shader similar to LG water, I think :rolleyes:.

upload_2019-5-5_3-18-49.

P.S. Your fire shader looks amazing, good work!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted