Tutorial  Updated

Customising a System Font

Hey, I'm showing how to customize a font for 3DS and install it. This requires Luma3DS and Boot9Strap.

Please backup your NAND before proceeding. I am not responsible if you brick. :)

----- Simple font editing -----

Requirements:
FontTool
Python (pick 2.7, not 3.6)
GodMode9
3dstool
ctrtool
make_cia
ctr_FontConverter (can't link this SDK here)

Let's start!

Onto PC:
1- Open ctr_FontConverter.exe
2- Go to Windows Font tab for Input section
3- Pick a font
4- Set the size to 25 px and the Bit depth to 16 levels (A4) - important: always use 16 levels, selecting 2 levels will make texts look corrupted (garbled) in some games!
5- On Output section, save as .bcfnt
6- Hit Convert
7- Move BCFNT to FontTool folder (you need 3dstool.exe, ctrtool.exe, and make_cia.exe in this folder)
8- Open up Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell
9- Type the following: FontTool.py -font <your output filename>.bcfnt
10- Hit Enter
11- Copy the .cia file to SD card
12- Remove SD card

Onto 3DS:
13- Insert SD card back into 3DS
14- Power on and hold START to launch chainloader
15- Open GodMode9
16- Navigate to SD card
17- Select .cia file
18- Go to CIA image options... > Encrypt file (...) > Encrypt inplace
19- Reboot 3DS
20- Open FBI
21- Select .cia file
22- Install it
23- Restart your system
24- Voila!

----- Advanced font editing -----

For those who want button icons included, follow this instruction:

Requirements:
FontForge
GodMode9
Some Nintendo TrueType fonts:
• CafeStd.ttf - a Wii U font
Dumped from NAND using FTPiiU_Everywhere, it's located at /storage_mlc/sys/title/0005001b/10042400/content

• nintendo_udsg-r_std_003.ttf - a Nintendo Switch font
• nintendo_ext_003.ttf - Nintendo extended character font. Includes 3DS and Wii U extended characters (such as controller buttons).
(These can be obtained off SDK or NAND.)

• nintendo_NTLG-DB_001.ttf - a 3DS font itself, found in Internet Browser. (Best way to deal with 1.5MB limit)
Launch GodMode9, go to CTR NAND:\title\00040030\********\content\
* Spider - JPN: 00008802 | USA: 00009402 | EUR: 00009D02 / Skater (New 3DS) - JPN: 20008802 | USA: 20009402 | EUR: 20009D02
pick the *.app file (there are two of 'em, select one that its filesize is larger than other), NCCH image options... > Mount image to drive
go to G:\romfs\browser\font , Copy to 0:/gm9/out

Important: To deal with 1.5 MB limit for BCFNT, use nintendo_ext_003.ttf as it only contains button chars, but it doesn't include Japanese chars (but not really needed, only for out-of-region HOME Menu game titles - example; マリオカート7 as Mario Kart 7.

If you want to preserve all 3DS text characters like accents (áëîōü) and special characters while it's under 1.5MB limit, see the last Q/A.

1- Open up FontForge
2- Choose your font you want for 3DS
3- go to Element > Merge Fonts...
(click yes for Kerning thing)
4- pick one of Nintendo fonts
5- go to Private Use Area starting with U+E000 (View > Goto > drop-down menu > Private Use Area > OK / or type "uniE000" then enter)
This is what it looks like:
y0BgCwW.png

6- Select multiple symbols up to U+E07E (left/right D-pad) or rest of Switch symbols
7- Right-Click > Transform...
8- Choose amount of number for Move
9- Expand the second option that says "Do Nothing" and pick Scale...
10- Change amount of number then hit OK
|
Amounts to set:
(Center of Selection) Move- X: 0 , Y: 120 | Scale- X: 195% , Y: 195%
or

If the font is too small, use this amount:
(Glyph Origin) Move- X: 0 , Y: -70 | Scale- X: 200% , Y: 200%
recommended, this fixes spacing
If the font is too big, use this amount: Scale- X: 100% , Y: 100%
|
eliminate Wii U and Switch symbols if you want, they still preserve, useful for custom keyboard such as giving amiibo its name without ending up blindly typing random chars, but it won't display these for other people's eyes in Friend List

You can also use slanted icons perfectly for Italic fonts.
A- Highlight those PUA chars
B- Go to File > Styles > Italic
C- Hit OK
11- finally Generate font.

Here's the result

Warning: If you are fiddling with original fonts that came pre-installed on your PC, please backup C:\Windows\Fonts to safe place.
Go to FontForge > Element > Font info... PS Names ,
change those fontnames to something else by adding something BEFORE font/family name (for example, family: Custom Comic Sans MS , name for human: Custom Comic Sans MS Italic), because even if you tried "Comic Sans MS 1", Windows still detects Comic Sans MS, ignoring the extra bit.
If you don't, it will collide font/family and permanently replaces the current font when installing. Always say No if it asks you to replace current font. You don't wanna fuck up your system fonts, though.
Now you can edit.

Test if symbols correctly show up on FontConverter or EveryFileExplorer by copy & pasting these: 
It shouldn't display squares and you're good to go.

----- Misc/Notes -----​

If you wanna revert the font, download 3DNUS, open it up, copy this TitleID into the box: 0004009B00014002 v0
It'll export .cia file.
Install with FBI and done.

@TheMachinumps posted this batch tool that converts multiple BCFNTs to CIAs which has been made easier: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-customising-a-system-font.477415/#post-7449721
This is better: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-customising-a-system-font.477415/page-2#post-7450055

----- Q & A -----

Q: Can I install font on completely stock/unhacked system?
A: No, you need CFW.

Q: I bricked my 3DS while trying to install font :(
A: Your font could be corrupted or it exceeded 1.5 MB. Restore NAND with GodeMode9.

Q: My custom font exceeded 1.5 MB!
A: Try a smaller filesize of the font.

Q: The texts are wide as hell!
A: On 'Font width' tick the box for "Specify average width" and try to adjust. I picked around 20-25px to squeeze the texts.

Q: Does it work with Citra emulator?
A: Yes, follow this instruction and acquire 00014002 folder located in 3dsutils\nand\00000000000000000000000000000000\title\ .
Go to File > Install CIA...
It has to be decrypted (usually from FontTool that converted it)

Q: I went to Super Smash Bros. and the texts look garbled!
A: You must set bit depth to 16 levels (A4), never 2 level.

Q: I gonna uninstall CFW before selling my 3DS
A: Do NOT uninstall CFW with such modded system files, it could brick! There is no point of uninstalling CFW plus it's a risk of ban without CFW. Leave as it is and try hiding those hacks while selling.

Q: I don't want Wii U / Switch symbols, just the 3DS symbols with all characters like Japanese/accent text characters.
A: Open the custom font in FontForge, go to Element > Merge Font... , select an original font called nintendo_NTLG-DB_001.ttf , adjust the size, generate font.
Only if you are not hitting the 1.5MB limit!

Video tutorial (does not include adding PUA characters)

I have custom fonts made by me. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/39dj49x9vzbd3yp/AADMApKfbEjzCId2bsWGCeGWa?dl=0

Last edited by ,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd love it if someone could convert the Ubuntu Font Family (They're free and open-source). I use it on my Android phone, and fell in love with it.

AntiMach

Trophies
Website
mach.bot.nu
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd love it if someone could convert the Ubuntu Font Family (They're free and open-source). I use it on my Android phone, and fell in love with it.
Here you go. (I couldn't convert the condensed one...)
EDIT: Nevermind, the files were too big...
2nd EDIT: Ok, NOW it should work. Oh, and it also includes the Condensed one this time.

Attachments

• Ubuntu Font Family.zip
    47.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited by AntiMach,
D

Deleted User

OP
Any risk of Ban Get when using a custom font? Also, I've heard that system icons such as the HOME Icon have a tendency to disappear when using a custom font. Any fix?
I've been using custom fonts for several months and didn't get hit by ban wave. Weird, I never had an issue, all system apps are still there.

Lol, I was about to send regular one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here you go. (I couldn't convert the condensed one...)
Hold on, those fonts except Mono exceed 1.5 MB.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
this may be a dumb question but can i use emojis as fonts.........
You can, as long as it doesn't contain any color. It will still act like you're typing normal letters (as people on friend list see), no way to put on empty character slots, though.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Beerus

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Q: Most button symbols such as Home icon are missing!
A: I am trying to find the fix. But CTGP-7 has custom font with all text characters stayed intact. FontForge might be able to merge pieces of CafeStd.ttf (dumped off Wii U) into TTF/OTF before converting to BCFNT. This is unconfirmed. I will add this tutorial here soon...or someone may help me with that.
You need to export the existing 3ds font to tga as well as the font you want to convert. After that, open both tga files in a image editor and copy the symbols from the 3ds font to the new one. Finally convert the new font tga file to bcfnt

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
You need to export the existing 3ds font to tga as well as the font you want to convert. After that, open both tga files in a image editor and copy the symbols from the 3ds font to the new one. Finally convert the new font tga file to bcfnt
I don't see Nintendo symbols on original 3DS font :/
PIA0fpH.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.