[Tutorial] Compile PKHeX on your own

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Inochi.no.Zenmai, Nov 11, 2016.

Nov 11, 2016
  1. Inochi.no.Zenmai
    OP

Member Inochi.no.Zenmai GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is adapted and improved from a thread on /vp/

---

Okay, since I've seen a bunch of people asking for a compiled version of the program, I figured I'd make a little guide telling you how to do it. PKHeX is updating constantly, so make sure to check the Github every hour or so and compile the program as soon as you can. It's actually very easy to do it and you won't need to download large libraries or more than one program. There are other methods, of course, but this one is the easiest, simpler and faster way to do it.

1. Download the PKHeX repository from here by clicking on "Clone or download" and then on "Download ZIP": https://github.com/kwsch/PKHeX

2. Download MSBuild Tools from here and install it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48159

3. If you don't have it, install the latest .NET Framework (4.6.2) from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344

4. Right click on Computer (from your desktop or the start menu), select Properties, then Advanced system settings. Click on the Environment variables button. Find the PATH variable and double-click on it. At the end of the Windows path you should see there, add a ; and then, immediately after it add this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\Bin. If you have a 32bit Windows version, remove the (x86). Hit Accept or Apply in every window to close them and save your settings.

5. Extract the .zip file you downloaded from Github and go to the folder called PKHeX (NOT PKHeX-master). In there, hold Shift and right click on an empty part of the folder, then select Open command prompt here. In the command prompt simply write MSBuild and hit Enter.

---

If you're met with the error described here http://prnt.sc/d61ia5 open "C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\MSBuild\v14.0" and make sure mscorlib.dll is in there (you can search for it on your PC, it will be one of the most recent ones. Should be around 5 MB in size), then in step 5 write the command

msbuild -p:FrameworkPathOverride="C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\MSBuild\v14.0"

fodder, hiten and GilgameshArcher like this.
  2. evandixon

Member evandixon Formerly UniqueGeek

United States
    This procedure should work, but PKHeX uses the .Net Framework 4.0, not 4.6.2.

3. Inochi.no.Zenmai
    OP

Member Inochi.no.Zenmai GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, that's why I added the last paragraph with the Path Override option. Couldn't find a simpler solution than that.

I have W8.1 BTW, and when I wanted to install Framework 4.0 it said I already had it installed. Still didn't work.

4. kkusagami

Newcomer kkusagami Advanced Member

Malaysia
    thanks

Last edited by kkusagami, Nov 12, 2016
  5. kkusagami

Malaysia
  6. SunTea07

Member SunTea07 K-POP / Gamer

Philippines
  7. kkusagami

Malaysia
    Thank you so much ^_^

SunTea07 likes this.
  8. Zekario

Newcomer Zekario Newbie

United States
    For Linux users, use Monodevelop. Open the sln file from the git clone in it, choose a version next to the play button (I chose release), then click the play button.

Last edited by Zekario, Nov 12, 2016
  9. leerpsp

Member leerpsp GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    sorry to revive an old post but what am i doing wrong i keep trying to compile the new pkhex on my own it says its done it i go to the pkhex > bin > Debug and the exe is not there iv done every thing like the post has told me but its a no go :(

10. evandixon

Member evandixon Formerly UniqueGeek

United States
    PKHeX.WinForms/bin/Debug (or Release. Or Mono-Debug or Mono-Release if you're using Mono.)

leerpsp likes this.