Tutorial  Updated

Add custom root certs to the Wii U's browser

NOTE: I am not responsible if you brick.

Hi there. This tutorial will allow you to use custom SSL certs in the Wii U's browser. This will not need signature patches to run, but it does require them to make the modification.

This has been tested with a 5.5.1U system with Haxchi enabled.

1. Activate CFW or signature patches using Mocha, Haxchi, or CHBC.
  2. Go into FTPii Everywhere.
  3. On an FTP client, navigate to /storage_mlc/sys/title/00050030/10012x0a/content/browser where x is 0 for Japan, 1 for America, and 2 for Europe.
  4. Download the file rootCA.pem.
  5. Open this file in a text editor.
  6. Find some root certificates (in PEM format) to add to the file. If they aren't in PEM format, convert it using OpenSSL. Personally, I would recommend adding Fiddler's root cert, and the DST Root CA X3 root cert (which will make Let's Encrypt sites, such as GBATemp, work with the Wii U). PEM certificates can also be obtained (in Windows) by exporting them from the "Copy to File" dialog which comes up when you view a certificate's properties.
  7. Append the desired certificates to rootCA.pem and save it.
  8. Upload it back to the Wii U.
  9. Test it by opening the browser, and visiting a site that uses your certificates. If it worked, you should not be prompted to manually allow SSL connections to hosts that use those certificates.
I hope you found this tutorial useful! Feel free to reply with any questions!

Last edited by aplumafreak500,

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are both your Wii U and your PC connected on the same network?
Have you connected using the quick connect option?
Does your Wii U IP address have a number after a semicolon? If so you also have to put that number and the semicolon (Like 192.168.1.59:20)
ftpiiu uses port 22 I think

Johnny2071

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are both your Wii U and your PC connected on the same network?
Have you connected using the quick connect option?
Does your Wii U IP address have a number after a semicolon? If so you also have to put that number and the semicolon (Like 192.168.1.59:20)

Does it matter that I'm using FTPiiU_Everywhere v0.42, and that my system is in my bedroom (back of the house), while my router borders the living room/dining room table?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does it matter that I'm using FTPiiU_Everywhere v0.42, and that my system is in my bedroom (back of the house), while my router borders the living room/dining room table?
If your Wii U can use the router's wi-fi and your PC is connected to the same router, then distance isn't a problem.

Johnny2071

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded a Fiddler certificate and converted it to a .crt file (is that good enough, since I don't know how to download OpenSSL and had to use SSL Converter).

Now how do I add it to CA Root.pem (the Wii U's file)?

Johnny2071

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to connect and "append" the certificates to the rootca.pem file, but nothing really changed. I still get 112-1035 errors and still can't access forums.starmen.net and Liberto.

Does it matter exactly how I post the certificate text onto the pem file?

Because I did:

(Wii U's certificate)
(space)
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
(random characters)
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
(space)
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
(random characters)
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ZeGamerak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know im late but, when i add certificates in rootca.pem my wii u freeze on the website, and i need to restart my wii U, after restart, all my certificates be deleted :/ Can you help me ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr