Hardware Tutorial: Access Hidden Browser (SwitchBru DNS)

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I set this up for personal use, but I thought I'd share!

To use it, set the DNS of your Internet connection to 45.55.142.122 and do a connection test

This should put you at Google, where you can search around with the limited browser

Video:

Hopefully this is of use to people who don't always have a computer on hand to host a server

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
There's now a page for this over at http://switchbru.com/dns/ which is designed to be easily shared.

It's also too bad that it looks like YouTube doesn't work with this method (still requires a proxy). youtube.com/tv used to work but for some reason no longer does (YouTube made changes?). Hopefully there's an official app soon, then.

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Updated to handle the newer connection URL in 3.0 from this comment.

Also, a reminder that this DNS doesn't block updates. For that, Reswitched DNS will block without a browser redirect, and DNSwitch4All will block as well as provide the browser hijack.

SwitchBru DNS: Only browser hijack
Reswitched DNS: Only update blocking
DNSwitch4All: Browser hijack + update blocking

Reactions: hitodesu

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Due to the recent advancements in homebrew, I have finally started to block updates on this server. (And also it's been running for a full year somehow :O)

Currently the following domains are blocked:
Code:
atumn.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
atum.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
dauth-lp1.ndas.srv.nintendo.net
beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net
consumer.lp1.npns.srv.nintendo.net
sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
aqua.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
receive-lp1.er.srv.nintendo.net
superfly.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net
google-analytics.com
googletagmanager.com

I have not done extensive testing on whether this is enough to totally prevent updates, but I have been asking around, and checking various sources/threads. If anyone has any more info on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

There's also now a Discord channel associated with this server, where we will post if there are issues/downtime, or any changes to the landing page that are being tested/made.

And also to provide an update, you still cannot watch YouTube videos using the DNS trick, however there is a tool created by Ep8Script that will allow you to do so using the share applet. Most of the web and YouTube should be browsable on the Switch at this time!

I'll also paste this blob here from the landing page:
We are hosting this service as we believe that those of us that purchased an Internet-capable Switch should have the right to browse the web! We hope that one day Nintendo adds an easily accessible web browser to the console.

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, we're considering stopping blocking updates on this DNS server. Let me know what you think about this.

There's always 90DNS if you care about Ninty server blocking for homebrew, and BrowseNX is a better way to browse the Internet with homebrew. There would still be a small subset of users that might care about this, for instance if you're trying to keep your Switch on a lower firmware but also want to browse the Internet. In that case, I would recommend self-hosting the browser redirect (explained earlier in this thread).

As for reasons to remove the blocking, there are a few non-DNS users who end up getting routed to our server by mistake, and have no way to disable it (likely a DNS misconfiguration in their networking stack). This means it randomly pops up and prevents people from playing online who want nothing to do with the browser! We've added the ability to whitelist an IP to get around this, but with nintendo's servers still blocked, the experience for those people is still bad. The second reason is the alternatives exist and our audience for the DNS redirect is less homebrew-focused and more browser focused.

If there's significant push back though we won't remove it! I understand it's annoying to provide an update blocking service and reneg on it later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr