Turning my homebrew into a cartage?

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by sweis12, Jul 17, 2014.

1. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I have recently developed some cool homebrew and I was wondering how would I go about making cartridges and giving them out to my friends and family to enjoy? Is there a company I can go to that I can give the rom, and a logo for the cart? If so please tell me. I know its been done before because I see pokemon rom hacks on carts all the time.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I did have something for a GBA cart making facility but I do not think they do that any more (stuff like that which made http://www.qwak.co.uk/pages/gba/buy.php being one but I recall another even better one for another puzzle game). There are a few homebrew designs on flash carts ( http://reinerziegler.de/GBA/gba.htm#homebrew flash cart ) but nothing especially advanced. Many hacks you see, assuming they are not coming out of deepest, darkest Shenzhen, tend to be written to the 3 in 1 flash carts (they function quite well as standalone devices), the more advanced ones having also clipped or lifted the write pin to avoid having them written over. However between homebrew, repros and some electrical engineering types discovering them being a good source of a certain type of memory you will do well to find GBA sized ones these days (even with money no object I could not point you at somewhere with them).

3. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    i would just buy a flash card and put my homebrew there. it will probably be cheaper than stand-alone cartridge.

4. Cartmanuk

Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2010
    You can have them made no problem. i know a guy, How many do you want?

Because just 1 would cost $100

Out of interest what sort of home-brew is it?

5. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    What flashcart would you recommend me to buy, and whats a good website to buy it from?

6. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    there is supercard and ez flash iv. supercard has some lag on demanding games but for homebrew it should be fine i guess. supercard can be bought for nearly the half cost of ez flash iv.

i bought from realhotstuff.hk before, price was good and i had no problems. though it comes in for about a month.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Those newer style cards are fine if you just want to play the homebrew on hardware, if you want to make repros and standalone carts they are less ideal for such things.