Turning colour schemes on and off in individual websites

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Pleng, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Pleng
    OP

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    In order to save my eyes, I have a dark theme on my computer, and in Firefox I have unchecked the "allow pages to choose their own colours, instead of my selections above" preference. This is all well and good; every webpage looks like it's straight out of the 90s, but I can deal with that.

However there are some websites that simply don't work with this setting; hidden hyperlinks etc, plus many some websites use a dark theme anyway. So I'd like to be able to override this setting for individual websites. I figured that there's probably be a plugin that does this already, but can't seem to find one. Does anybody else have any ideas (other than use a different browser for said sites...)?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I do similar things, except I do not necessarily visit the most new sites so greasemonkey, disabling styles (view -> page style) and the occasional spell on firebug usually do well for me.

This sounds like a good in for plugin development; in about:config it may well be one option that needs checking and I imagine that is probably easy enough to do in a plugin. I suppose that might also be an alternative -- keep and about:config window open/shortcut and check and uncheck the option, far less annoying than clicking through preferences if you are researching something. Sadly I do not have a generic plugin (though one may exist) you can config to make a button, likewise there does not appear to be an API for editing it beyond starting the program with a switch, using something like http://web.mit.edu/~firefox/www/maintainers/autoconfig.html (also startup based) or manually adding a line into the prefs.js file (possibly via batch file) so no bookmarks/javascript either.