Gaming Turning a rar file to a .iso file help please

Ringo619

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went and download the "ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386" from torrent now my problem is that i have the universal usb installer so i can use this and boot ubuntu from my usb pen drive but the problem is that when i browser for in my download section i can't find it with the universal usb installer cause it only looks for .iso files and ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386 is a iso file when i right click and go to properties it says (.iso) but ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386 is in a rar format now my question is how do i change the rar format to a .iso file so universal usb installer can find it and boot from the usb ?
Sorry for the grammar/spelling mistakes and also sorry if it is a bit confusing

Thanks in advance your help will be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
Calm down, I had to read it multiple times. It sounds like its just the icon from what you've said. If so it is in the right format, use it normally.

magicuser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the file is an iso and it is just 'named' rar at the end of the file then all you need to do is rename it to ".iso however if it is indeed a rar file you need to extract the rar and then get a program such as poweriso or such to make a iso archive out of it

Ringo619

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
magicuser said:
if the file is an iso and it is just 'named' rar at the end of the file then all you need to do is rename it to ".iso however if it is indeed a rar file you need to extract the rar and then get a program such as poweriso or such to make a iso archive out of it

I did change the rar file to ubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso but its the same problem universal installer won't find it as a .iso file i will try the poweriso and get back to u

Ringo619

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
WinRAR automatically associates itself with ISO files so you can get at the contents.

Do you have 'hide file extensions for known types" UNchecked in the "view" part of the folder options?

Yes i have ticked does't seem to have done anything i can still open the rar files but universal installer does't show it as a .iso

Ringo619

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
Are you selecting the right option on Universal Installer for Ubuntu 10.10?

Yes there only to Ubuntu 10.10 and i picked both of them and still don't see it

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not the fact that you are dealing with a file that is not *.iso format, it is the fact that you are dealing with the alternate file. If you are using the U USB Installer that is linked in the instructions on the download page of Ubuntu, then the way that program has been programed is that is looks for a predefined name, not for the file extension.

For example, I have a directory on my computer with a few Linux distros, all supported by this program, and what I did is I selected Ubuntu 10.10 desktop i386 as the version I want to "burn" to usb, and then I went into the different distro folders. I know there are .iso files in there, that do work correctly, but this program does not show them. Once I hit my Ubuntu folder, the 10.10 i386 .iso was the only one visible, while I have the 64 and netbook one in that folder.

So, to resolve your issue, what you need to do is download a version supported by this program, and make sure to select that from the drop down list. May I ask why you are using the alternate version? Have you tried using one of the desktop versions available first?

The other possible solution is you can change the file name to: "ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso" that way the program will show your file and then you can burn it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1