Hacking Turned off Dynamic Fan then got "Overheat Warning" a few minutes later

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
when I restarted the system after it failed to load, I noticed my ps3 showed a yellow ligth for a few seconds :( Is this the infamous YLOD?
YLOD, despite its full name, is the standard green LED, that goes yellow a single time for a split second, then flashes red (and that's probably just a "bug" in the animation, as yellow is red+green)
Webman, if you use it, blinks yellow while it loads itself or mounts games
You can use the PS3MAPI page to set the LED to whatever you want :)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YLOD, despite its full name, is the standard green LED, that goes yellow a single time for a split second, then flashes red (and that's probably just a "bug" in the animation, as yellow is red+green)
Webman, if you use it, blinks yellow while it loads itself or mounts games
You can use the PS3MAPI page to set the LED to whatever you want :)

YLOD is when your PS3 tries to turn on, but flashes yellow, then turns off. (It does that for me on my broken disc drived one sometimes)

Phew... thanks the Jail Break Gods :) I was thinking... fuck after so many years I finally go for it and it just dies on me a few days later XD
After jailbreaking it everything makes me paranoid since I seen so many posts of ppl bricking their system

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep my fans at 45% all the time on which makes it loud as hell but if I don't it will easily go to 76-80c, this is playing ps2 games mind you those stress the CPU a bit.

Ps3 slim cech2051b

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep my fans at 45% all the time on which makes it loud as hell but if I don't it will easily go to 76-80c, this is playing ps2 games mind you those stress the CPU a bit.

Ps3 slim cech2051b

Why would ps2 stress the system so much?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
TBH, I get the feeling PS2 emulation is a bad idea in the long run. The crazy amount of CPU stress can't be good for the system.
Nah, if adequately cooled running a processor at 100% isn't bad (in fact you paid for a system that is supposed to achieve that - sure you can question if the syscon fan control counts as adequate, but the only possible alternative is a fixed speed; I use 40% but my console has the hardware GS)... it's bad on the controller, though, for all the times it "accidentally" hits the floor due to added lag compared to a real PS2 :D

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because it's emulating it causing the CPU to nearly max itself outputting more heat.

Do you know if its the same for psx? Its still emulating but its so old idk if it would that that much processing... what about psp? (prob not gonna emulate psp just curious)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I heard this kills the fans?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you know if its the same for psx? Its still emulating but its so old idk if it would that that much processing... what about psp? (prob not gonna emulate psp just curious)

I heard this kills the fans?
I heard you're paranoid? :D
If the fan cannot handle its full nominal speed, then it's defective in the first place... and replacements are plentiful - not that I've heard of this happening in any notable pattern or number

GM Otomon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I heard you're paranoid? :D
If the fan cannot handle its full nominal speed, then it's defective in the first place... and replacements are plentiful - not that I've heard of this happening in any notable pattern or number

LOL well I read many posts about it and its always 50/50 its good or it will damage the system.
And isnt that like saying "Well if your ps3 doesnt run at 100C then it must be because its defective in the first place" XD

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And isnt that like saying "Well if your ps3 doesnt run at 100C then it must be because its defective in the first place" XD
Yeah, but it's a fact that Sony's thermal paste is poor and that the stock fan control is optimized for noise instead of minimizing thermal stress - while it hasn't been reasonably proven that running fans high is significantly bad for them

And you can replace a PS3 fan quite easily, but you can't replace a PS3 CPU

Fun fact: a PS3 that's unplugged from power and stored at ambient temperature, in a place of reasonable humidity, and low dust is extremely unlikely* to fail!

* random sources of sufficiently concentrated energy, possibly but very improbably such as natural background radiation, may still corrupt any form of storage...

matthi321

Trophies
XP
Country
well it might do for some, but for me it worked. after not using my ps3 for some years it just collected dust, so when i recently started using it again it was very loud and i would get the temperture warning message a few minnutes in games.so i just did the self cleaning 1 time and havent gotten that warning since.

YugiSenpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
laptops can't get too hot, cause you know they literally sit on your lap, desktop hardware like consoles tend to get a lot hotter, imagine your phone being 35c
My phone is like 20-35c when idle and 45-50c when doing some browsing. 60-78c when intense gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: