Turn your Smartphone into a Game Boy with the Hyperkin Smart Boy

FunstockRetro.co.uk - Europe's Number One Retro Gaming Destination are proud to announce that they are now registering interest for the Smart Boy accessory by Hyperkin.

Those who wish to be notified of when the Smart Boy will be available to pre-order can do so by registering their e-mail here.

photograph-625x440.jpg

The Smart Boy will turn your android based smartphone into a Game Boy Colour by allowing you to play your original Game Boy and Game Boy Colour cartridges through your smartphone.

As standard the Smart Boy accessory will feature an eight-way D-pad; two action buttons; a start and select button to offer that authentic Game Boy experience you could only dream about.

The Smart Boy also comes built-in with a rechargeable battery pack that allows for up to five hours of gameplay and can be recharged using your Android smartphone.

With over 1600 Game Boy and Game Boy Color games in the market, such as Pokemon Blue, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Super Mario Land, Tetris and Donkey Kong, you're bound to have endless fun with the Smart Boy.

lifestyle-1-625x440.jpg lifestyle-4-625x440.jpg lifestyle-3-625x440.jpg
lifestyl-5-625x440.jpg lifestyle-2-625x440.jpg smart-boy-screen-3-625x440.jpg
Key Features:
  • Connects to any Android operated Smartphone
  • Allows all Game Boy and Game Boy Colour Games to be played through your Smartphone
  • Authentic Buttons that replicate the original Game Boy experience
  • Comes with a built-in battery and can be powered via your Smartphone
smart-boy-screen-2-625x440.jpg
:arrow:Resigter Interest

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, Americans(?) can already pre-order the device here: http://hyperkinlab.com/smart-boy-developer-kit/
Note that it's the developer version, likely not the public release, and even then it's not scheduled to ship for another five-plus months.

Edit: What seems curious to me is the mention in Funstock's release about the internal battery - namely in that it seems entirely unnecessary. If USB OTG is already a requirement, and you're not going to have something like TV-out to make it a standalone device, why not just power it over USB? The Hyperkin website/twitter doesn't even mention a battery.

Last edited by FireEmblemGuy,
Reactions: T-hug

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm still curious to how this actually uses your game carts. All demos of it so far have been nothing but existing emulators off the play store.
It's probably just a USB device that interfaces with the cart allowing direct access to the data.

Edit: What seems curious to me is the mention in Funstock's release about the internal battery - namely in that it seems entirely unnecessary. If USB OTG is already a requirement, and you're not going to have something like TV-out to make it a standalone device, why not just power it over USB? The Hyperkin website/twitter doesn't even mention a battery.
It's probably to prevent the device from draining your smartphone battery while in use.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
how great is playing gb games on an edgy screen? /s
seriously though this will require them to make a LOT of models
They can make the phone holder piece with adjustable width and depth, or make model-specific adapter inserts. There's no need to shape the entire device to the phone model. I think the keys will be on the player, they won't be pressing the screen, so they won't have to adapt the key position to the screen width.

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
They can make the phone holder piece with adjustable width and depth, or make model-specific adapter inserts. There's no need to shape the entire device to the phone model. I think the keys will be on the player, they won't be pressing the screen, so they won't have to adapt the key position to the screen width.
if it uses usb otg, they will still need a bit of models, because of the size variations and different usb types.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
if it uses usb otg, they will still need a bit of models, because of the size variations and different usb types.
Don't all smartphones use Micro USB? And like 90% of them have it at the bottom center. And if they place the USB connector on a cable instead of having it fixed in place, it would solve the problem of USB position on different phones. No need to have entirely different models.

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Don't all smartphones use Micro USB? And like 90% of them have it at the bottom center. And if they place the USB connector on a cable instead of having it fixed in place, it would solve the problem of USB position on different phones. No need to have entirely different models.
my nexus 6p begs to differ. (and most of the xperia phones have them at the side)
They will manage to do it correctly. In some way.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
my nexus 6p begs to differ. (and most of the xperia phones have them at the side)
They will manage to do it correctly. In some way.
Your nexus 6p is in the 10% :P
Like I said, that can be solved by either using a USB cable (the trivial solution), or making model specific adapter inserts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night