Gaming TurboGrafx CD VC Soon + J Titles Released Today!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turbo Grafx CD and Turbo Duo games will be making it to the VC soon! Hudson plan on releasing 5 titles this year, and ten next year. The games will cost 800 points, which will probably turn some people off but still its cheaper than buying the actual CD-ROMS of them as they're frigging expensive. The first game rumoured to be released is the pretty damn good RPG Ys Book I & II - Ancient Ys Vanished, as an ISO that game is just under 600mb! I'm sure the downloads would be a lot less in size.

Also the Japanese only titles have appeared on Euro VC.

The frigging hard Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels on the NES (basically the Japanese version of SMB2) and the brilliant Mario's Picross for SNES.

Whats annoying however is the prices, SMB2 is 600 points! And even worse MP is 900! Nintendo say that they are "collectors" treat and that they'll only be available until the end of September. Shit if they were supposed to be treats you'd think they'd come either free, be bought with Star Points or even they'd be cheaper than usual NES/SNES games and NOT more expensive.

EDIT: Just read that this is part of the "Hanabi Festival" that spans three weeks and each week you'll see games that have only been available in Japan.

Games due are:
September 21 - Ninja Week

Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Ninja JaJaMaru-kun (NES) (Japan

September 28 - Sci-fi Week

Sin and Punishment (N64) (HURRRRFUCKINGWAY!)
Gradius III (Super NES)

The games that were only released in Japan will cost more apparently due to "translation" costs, which I think is silly but thats me.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Virtual Console game prices are a joke for poorly emulated games with no added features. I'd much rather spend my money on updated classics on XBL (but still don't
tongue.gif
).

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know, I did buy quite a lot but aside from Sin & Punishment I can't say I will get more.

Whats really stupid is this so called "translation costs" on the games, does SMB2 really need translating that much? And Sin & Punishment is in English anyway, just remove the Japanese subtitles.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If they have to translate a game, I'm willing to pay a bit more for it. But you're completely in the right when it comes to something like SMB2.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I call bullshit on the whole "Super Mario Bros 2" being Japan only. You can unlock it in the GBC Super Mario Bros Deluxe and you can get it on the SNES Mario Allstars

I really wonder how much it costs to translate? I remember Mario Picross had a section dedicated to chipping out the blocks to reveal the Japanese alphabet but nonetheless, Sin and Punishment being released in Europe when is a cry for joy. Now, will it be in 60hz or are they going to say "nah, let's tweak it to 50hz"

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I call bullshit on the whole "Super Mario Bros 2" being Japan only. You can unlock it in the GBC Super Mario Bros Deluxe and you can get it on the SNES Mario Allstars

I really wonder how much it costs to translate? I remember Mario Picross had a section dedicated to chipping out the blocks to reveal the Japanese alphabet but nonetheless, Sin and Punishment being released in Europe when is a cry for joy. Now, will it be in 60hz or are they going to say "nah, let's tweak it to 50hz"
Plus it was on Super Mario Allstars. What they mean is Japanese only as in NES version in PAL territories. Still bullshit whatever

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just checked it out and read the summary in the shop channel

dsc01870oc6.jpg

"SOME TEXT MIGHT NOT BE TRANSLATED"

HA HA HA HA HA no.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm SMB2 FDS on GBC and SNES were not fully complete, missing a few stages.

And on the Ys Book 1/2 being a 600MB ISO...and? If you rip the CD and remove the redbook(?) music tracks you're left with a 16MB game to stuff on a GBA flashrom (which I used to do that's how I know.) That had all the game, cutscenes, sfx, and small 30sec(or less) musical jingles too. I'm sure they could compress the old audio into MP3 or the like compressed format.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Now, will it be in 60hz or are they going to say "nah, let's tweak it to 50hz"
SMB2 (and I guess Mario Super Picross) are 60Hz only, so I'd assume that's the case for all games not previously released in Europe.

Also, where did you read that about "translation costs"? They're not translating ANYTHING.

Well, maybe they have menu translation in the "manual", but that's it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.