Tubehax for psvita update? Other "safety" measures to take?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by dyerseve, Oct 14, 2016.

1. dyerseve
    OP

dyerseve Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    Apologies for the hundred questions, coming from the Wii/Wiiu/3DS homebrew world, it's easier for me to make comparisons with that.

I know you can disable the automatic downloading of the update, but I just like being overly cautious when it comes to this, more than likely Sony uses some consistent dns name for the system update, does anyone have a link to what servers the updates come from (my googlefu fails me) that I can add to my proxy setup? (I use CCProxy for my 3DS, I have Luma w/A9LH but again I like being extra cautious about this because I have a child that can't read that uses these devices occasionally)

Related question, where can I read more details about the level of exploiting that Henkaku is utilizing, I can read a step by step guide and get the system hacked but I really like knowing the why for what I'm doing, it's interesting to me and helps me avoid making mistakes. It sounds like the PS Vita is no where near brick-proof like the 3DS is now.

I plan on backing up my memory card using QCMA, I'm using vitaorganizer to set the safe flag for Henkaku (my understanding from context is HENkaku is the thing that checks the safe flag, not maidump or vitashell/vitamin at least on the installation end of things, I do understand they can set those flags when dumping your personal collection)

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The Vita won't auto update if the "Download Update File for System Software" in Auto-start settings is disabled. This has been the case since 3.00 when they added the option IIRC, and AFAIK nobody has ever had an auto update when that setting was unchecked. You can also just leave the Vita in airplane mode, too.

As for details about Henkaku, st4rk has a post on his blog that goes into detail about the exploit, and @yifan_lu also added some comments to that explanation on his blog as well.
    Both are definitely interesting reads.

3. dyerseve
    OP

dyerseve Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    So after examining this, perhaps it isn't a static DNS entry after all, I could block playstation.net but at that point I may as well stay offline entirely.
    I ended up getting a CCProxy setup for this, if you replicate this, I take no responsibility for the safety of your vita!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (somehow i fail at inserting images... https://imgur.com/a/Hs4qH )

You can then bind that rule to a filter based on the mac address of the ps vita! Set the proxy in the internet settings and hopefully the vita doesn't attempt to bypass the proxy...

@Tom Bombadildo thanks for the links can't wait to dig into the details some more, love watching this stuff develop.

Last edited by dyerseve, Oct 14, 2016
  4. dyerseve
    OP

dyerseve Member

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    @Tom Bombadildo wow interesting reads, so after reading this I'm curious, they say that the webkit exploit is patched in 3.61, I'm guessing at this point they have no way of knowing if Sony also patched the sceNetIoctl as well. Ironic that the webkit exploit was hard to come by because it was all custom Sony code, but then the reason the sceNetIoctl was exploited was because of the custom Sony code (open source projects had proper checks in place).
    Another related link to go along with the others: https://blog.xyz.is/2016/vita-netps-ioctl.html

5. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    I think the easiest method is to install the offile installer, then delete the wifi settings.

You can download the vpks you want and transfer them to your PC via QCMA.

That way you are %100 sure that your non-reading kid will update it by accident and you can always reactivate HENkaku and your vpks using the email app.

Glyptofane likes this.