Tubehax DNS blocks youtube on my PC?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by naddel81, Jan 13, 2016.

1. naddel81
    OP

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    Hi @ all,

when I enter the Tubehax DNS into my router to prevent all my consoles from updating (which works fine), I cannot go to youtube anymore.

Why is that?!

Best wishes!

2. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    TubeHax = Youtube Hax = A hack for Youtube.

The DNS redirects intents to connect to Youtube to another place so that place can respond the hack needed for the console to launch Homebrew Launcher. So anything under Tubehax can't access Youtube.

3. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Why are you putting it in your router instead of the 3DS?

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  4. cpasjuste

cpasjuste GBAtemp Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    By the way, tubehax DNS does NOT seems to block Nintendo update server.

5. naddel81
    OP

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    @ garro: tubehax DNS is just a DNS that blocks nintendo servers, nothing more.

@ subcon959: because I have to many consoles and when I change wifi-settings it is too easy to catch an update. so the easiest thing was setting my router up to prevent the update instead of changing 8 wifi-connections on my four consoles (two wifi connections each).

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

where did you get that from? blocks even more than it should here (see: youtube).

6. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Then why are you asking when you are so sure you know what Tubehax is about? (even though apparently you don't)

7. naddel81
    OP

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    Because on my iPad (same wifi) it works fine, but on my PC it does only when Tubehax DNS is not in my router.
    That does not really make sense to me.

8. erman1337

erman1337 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2015
    Belgium
    Brussels
    then that means they use different servers duh

9. Garro

Garro Pendulum of souls!

Aug 15, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Somewhere
    Oh I can see why you had your doubts. But Tubehax purpose is to launch the Homebrew Launcher in the 3DS by opening the Youtube App. Long story short the 3DS sends a "can I connect?" to Youtube servers and the Tubehax redirects that request to a different server that answers "lolhax". So anything that tries connects to Youtube under Tubehax wouldn't be able to locate the server.

Yeah its weird that your iPad works, maybe it does use a different server or your device can use an auxiliary DNS outside the router or something like that?

10. naddel81
    OP

naddel81 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 14, 2009
    United States
    OK, got it (the functionality of tubehax). so tubehax = tubehax DNS.
    the weird thing is: on my PC it doesn't work. on iPad, android, iPhone etc. it works fine.

AND when I use a proxy on PC, it works fine as well. everything WITH tubehax DNS in the router settings.

11. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    YouTube directs devices to a server based on their user agent, so of course it makes sense for it to work on your iOS devices. The 3DS essentially uses the same UA as any run of the mill desktop browser (Gecko probably), so YouTube just treats it as a standard browser and the app acts as a wrapper.

12. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    It doesn't? Thought that was the whole point of using it.

13. cpasjuste

cpasjuste GBAtemp Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    No I don't think it does .. At least I can connect (via code) to the update server so ... :x

14. aaroncmx

aaroncmx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2016
    If you want to use the DNS address on the router, obtain a second router (Can be a cheapo, only for the 3DS) and run it off another router or modem.

15. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    What user agent is your code using?

Also, it still doesn't make sense to use the DNS at the router level since it's only for your 3DS(s). My advice is to stop being a lazy ass since beggars can't be choosers. And no, the Tubehax DNS does not solely exist to block Nintendo seeing as this can be done with "0.0.0.0". It exists to redirect a simple request to a payload, like somebody suggested earlier. Lrn2networking

16. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    ipad ect are using mobile version of youtube addresses, that's why they are probably still working

17. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    That's exactly what I said. YouTube detects the user agent and then tells the device which DNS to use based on that.