tube monitor refresh rate

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking into switching my lcd cpu moniter to an old crt. The monitor im interested in is H Freq/ V Freq: 32-49 Khz / 55-90 Hz. Is the monitor's refresh rate compatible with ps1/ps2 and snes if i got an adapter for svideo to vga or cabke tv?

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the help. How about the svideo to vga adapters? Would there be lag is that why you say it wouldnt work?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
TVs use a horizontal refresh of 15khz, PC Monitors use a horizontal refresh of 31khz. you'll need something to up the horizontal refresh rate of the video signal of consoles to work, don't even try connecting directly as you can permanently damage your monitor.
an upscaler/deinterlacer can help you with that, but there are other options that don't remember right now.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
the second one would be better for PS2 for the component input, IDK about the video quality though.
If you aren't paranoid about video quality it should be good enough and cheap. Upscalers are better because are specifically designed to improve interlaced video on high resolution displays instead of just convert the signal, but are costly(the famous Framemeister is around $400).

How many inches your CRT monitor have?? I don't think it would be that big of a difference between a converter and an upscaler on a regular size 15'' or 17'' CRT.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any particular advantages to using a monitor over an RGB compatible TV? Buying an upscaler sounds like a lot of trouble considering you're not going to be using a LCD anymore.

Sakitoshi

Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Are there any particular advantages to using a monitor over an RGB compatible TV? Buying an upscaler sounds like a lot of trouble considering you're not going to be using a LCD anymore.

In the Americas TVs with RGB input are hard to come by(as that was mostly a PAL thing) and a CRT PC monitor gives sharper images as they are meant to show higher resolutions than TVs.
Unless you are talking about those Sony PVM/BVM that are even harder to find and cost a lot. A composite/s-video/component converter is much more cost effective and easy to find, the only problem are the speakers.

steveroo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't bought the monitor yet, I'm problem solving before spending money.

the xrgb-mini frameister is the coolest electronic device at a price that is so cool it hurts :cry: I'd have to buy the lcd light gun for my tv too, so I'm up to $6-700 in cords and devices. The price to save on space and clutter $6-700 is not worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?