Hacking TT Problem

MoFoS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a DS with TT and a whole crapload of games that was given to me buy a friend who bought it overseas (pre loaded etc.)

The DS turns on fine and the game list is fine, but when I select a game it does not load at all --> freezing

Is there a quick-fix available? Or is this something more complicated where I should just go see a professional?

Thanks

litium

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hmmm, try to format the MicroSD card, then put the newest firmware aviable (1.08a, AKA 1.09). Boot it up, see if it loads the kernel. Take off the MicroSD put a nds rom (like, Bangai-O Spirits that is only 8mb and loads of fun). See if that works.

EDIT: Remember to format it to FAT, if that doesn't work try FAT32.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Also, put the .nds files in their own folder (such as "games") rather than putting them all on the root of the microSD card. There is a limitation with FAT on the number of files that can be at the root of a filesystem, and sometimes that causes problems.

-Bri

Bigbacon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having this same issue. I had about 20 games on here and they ALL wokred fine. I put about 6 more on and now almost none of the games work now.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Again, are your games in a folder or are they on the root of your microSD? If they are on the root, put them in a folder. There is a limitation to the number of files that can be on the root of a microSD, and the DSTT has to create .sav files when you run a new game. Put all your .nds files and .sav files into a folder named "games" (or whatever name you want to give it) and it will probably work. Don't worry, the DSTT menu scans your entire microSD drive (inside all folders) for .nds files and presents them all in the list.

Also, for the same reason you have to make sure that your microSD has enough free space on it for .sav files. If it's completely full, the DSTT won't be able to create the .sav files and it won't work. If your microSD is too full, try deleting a couple of your games.

-Bri

Bigbacon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
definately not full,

I am backing up and formatting te card.

Going to put 1..09 on and move the nds files into another folder and see what happens.
If i move all nds files to a folder, do I need to move the the moonshell folder and such in there also?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I put my .nds and .sav files into a "games" folder and my homebrew into a "homebrew" folder. The idea is to get most of your files off the root.

I'm guessing that if you move your files into folders, you won't need to reformat.

-Bri

Bigbacon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks that worked

the rot filder limit must be pretty small, like less than 45 files. My original setup had 47 files in the root (not including folders) and it went crazy

Bigbacon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everything is ok and contra 4 is GD hard even on easy. Took me forever to realizether wa stuff going on, on both screens.

Syman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i wonder if this could be a fragmentation issue.

my card worked fine until i deleted unwanted games and then loaded on others.

it tends to be ok if i delete the last added game and replace it, but problems started with the oldee gmaes being deleted.

when i dumped all files off of the card, formatted and reloaded the exact same files, the problem resolved it self.

Ice Cold

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bri said:
Again, are your games in a folder or are they on the root of your microSD? If they are on the root, put them in a folder. There is a limitation to the number of files that can be on the root of a microSD, and the DSTT has to create .sav files when you run a new game. Put all your .nds files and .sav files into a folder named "games" (or whatever name you want to give it) and it will probably work. Don't worry, the DSTT menu scans your entire microSD drive (inside all folders) for .nds files and presents them all in the list.

Also, for the same reason you have to make sure that your microSD has enough free space on it for .sav files. If it's completely full, the DSTT won't be able to create the .sav files and it won't work. If your microSD is too full, try deleting a couple of your games.

-Bri

What a good solution. You're a real help with the TT. I didn't know there was a limit to how many games you could put on the root. Thanks.

MoFoS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah darn,

Tried putting all the games in their individual folders. Was super hyped seeing as though it worked for Ice Cold. And then it still doesn't load.

Any ideas?

How do u check/add firmware? Sorry..very noob

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't put the games into individual folders. Put all the games into one folder (name it "games").

If you get a list of games, your firmware is installed correctly. If you don't have the newest version (the firmware version is shown in the lower-right of your screen), you may want to grab the newest from the download area and replace the TTMENU.DAT file and TTMENU folder. The newest version is currently 1.10.

-Bri

MoFoS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So one folder
"games", every single nds file and save file in it? With no sub folders?

I had 1.07 so I'll try what u just said to do and see what happens

Thanks Bri

------------

Tried it. I've got firmware 1.10. The format has chagned so it's grey and has TTDS instead of that tales of fantasia or whatever. Put all the nds and sav files into 'games' folder, and still doesn't load...was I given a dodgy something or rather?

Rather interestingly though: Sometimes when I eject the TT and then put it back in, whilst the unit is off. When I do this, and try to play, it works? But all other times it doesn't? IS this a symptom of something?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like you have a bad DSTT (it's not making proper contact with the Nintendo DS). You should exchange it for a new one if you can. Otherwise, try putting a piece of thin cardboard in with the DSTT opposite the contacts to help it make better contact.

-Bri

MoFoS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fixed it.

Just formatted the thing and it works like a pearler. Thanks for the help Bri.

Probably should have formatted it before.

Note to everyone: Even if you have pretty good media (had sandisk 2gb sd) just try a format, it may fix everything up.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you got it working! For some reason I thought that you'd already tried formatting and it didn't work, because that's the first thing to try usually.

-Bri

Seina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsd cards on the DSTT need to constantly be reformatted. I'm having to do it all the time, like every couple of weeks at least.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0