Hacking Tsukihime/Kagetsu Tohya PSP port font size

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello. I recently intended to re-read some of my favorite old visual novels (which all run on the onscripter engine), in particular their psp port released some time ago (specifically Tsukihime, kagetsu Tohya, Narcissu), but I noticed that the font is microscopic and unreadable on real hardware.
Could someone please tell me if it is possible to increase the font size in a not too complicated way, without having programming knowledge?
The solution would be good for all VNs running on PSP Onscripter.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Malckyor

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Excuse me if I take the liberty of bringing this up again, assuming that other people are also interested.
a-midsummer-1-150x150.jpg flood-1-150x150.jpg
Among other things, it seems incredible to me that no one before me has raised the problem. I don't think there is even just one normal person who has ever managed to read the microscopic fonts of any Onscripter's visual novel brought to PSP (I have tried, in addition to the aforementioned, other titles: Red Shift, Mizuiro, May Sky, Summer's End, Moonshine ).
mizuiro-2-150x150.jpg binary-2-150x150.jpg
The problem is not to change the font type, which is easily done, but to increase the font size considerably. I am waiting again for someone interested who would, or could, propose a valid solution.
tsukihime-1-150x150.jpg kagetsu-2-150x150.jpg

dahepo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
Reviving the thread because I'm sure many others will have the same question.

Changing font size is possible for all visual novels based on ONScripter by editing the 'setwindow' command. The command scripts are typically contained in a file named '0.txt'.

The Nscripter reference explains the parameters in detail: nscripter.insani.org/reference/meirei/setwindow.htm

This example is from the Tsukihime port:

Code:
setwindow 18,18, 36,21, 17,17, 0, 4, 22, 1, 1, #aaaaaa, 0, 0, 639, 479

TSUK00947_00000.png

Code:
is the font size. Changing it to 37 is enough to resize the text to something more reasonable - this only applies to the scene referred to by the setwindow command.

But here's the complication: changing font size alone won't do much good, because the text will be cropped out of the screen. Line wrapping needs to be adjusted as well.

TSUK00947_00004.png

So in the example above,
Code:
need to be changed to something smaller. It's a trial and error process and it must be repeated across all scenes, which is probably why nobody bothered with it so far.

TSUK00947_00006.png

How to know if a game runs on ONScripter? Load the EBOOT in a hex editor, and do a ctrl-f:

Unbenannt.PNG

This is the Tsukihime port, as we can see it was made for the October 2005 (!) build of ONScripter.

Last edited by dahepo,
Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Changing font size is possible for all visual novels based on ONScripter by editing the 'setwindow' command. The command scripts are typically contained in a file named '0.txt'.
Thanks for this useful information, but while you were at it, couldn't you post that .txt file already edited and adapted to the 2 visual novels I mentioned in the title?
As for me, I'm completely denied for these technical things. 😅

dahepo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
Thanks for this useful information, but while you were at it, couldn't you post that .txt file already edited and adapted to the 2 visual novels I mentioned in the title?
As for me, I'm completely denied for these technical things. 😅
I only edited the one scene above. Fixing all of them might be worth the effort, but even then sharing the output on an open forum would be kinda dicey - it contains the whole game script.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I only edited the one scene above. Fixing all of them might be worth the effort, but even then sharing the output on an open forum would be kinda dicey - it contains the whole game script
Can't that procedure be done once for all scenes? The image size (proportion) is always the same.
Moreover the text is from the english translation made by the fans and freely distributed.

Yaboimax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I recently intended to re-read some of my favorite old visual novels (which all run on the onscripter engine), in particular their psp port released some time ago (specifically Tsukihime, kagetsu Tohya, Narcissu), but I noticed that the font is microscopic and unreadable on real hardware.
Could someone please tell me if it is possible to increase the font size in a not too complicated way, without having programming knowledge?
Thanks in advance.
Could you explain how to run these in the first place? I haven't been able to figure out how to get onscripter games to ru

LuisHTomio

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks in advance.

talvez tenha se passado muito tempo, mas não custa nada tentar... com licença, peço desculpas pelo incomodo mas você ainda possui uma cópia funcional da iso de tsukihime portada para psp? eu procurei em vários sites mas a maioria caiu ou o link está morto, se você ainda tiver a iso, poderia me disponibilizar um link por favor?
Post automatically merged:

Thanks in advance.

talvez tenha se passado muito tempo, mas não custa nada tentar... com licença, peço desculpas pelo incomodo mas você ainda possui uma cópia funcional da iso de tsukihime portada para psp? eu procurei em vários sites mas a maioria caiu ou o link está morto, se você ainda tiver a iso, poderia me disponibilizar um link por favor?

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Next time you should write in english. If you are unable to, use google translator. PM sent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.